Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
duke36

Default FSI Zipper timing question

With a 5.5 head, should there be any changes to timing with respect to the instructions for a standard head ? We're running champ W18 (518) plugs with a 12 volt neg. ground Zipper. Btw, the FS distributor body has no pin into the head recess, so distributor alignment is by eye to get the distrib. top parallel to the head and with the spark fully retarded and fixed in the top slot position.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: FSI Zipper timing question

With the higher compression, the fuel will burn faster so you may not need as much advance. You won't really know until you try it.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
Synchro909

What Jim said. When I did mine, I took the car out and tried to make it ping - it did so I retarded the timing a little and repeated until I couldn't induce a ping. Been running fine now for a long time.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
Smog Tech

Putting a timing mark on the front pulley and using a tiring light will make this much easier. Should have about 26° to 28° max. See what works best for your engine.
Smog Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smog Tech View Post
Putting a timing mark on the front pulley and using a tiring light will make this much easier. Should have about 26° to 28° max. See what works best for your engine.
Yup, that's what I did so I could retime it if I needed to. Turns out it was happy at about 5 deg ATDC at an idle.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
duke36

So on the FS zipper, what is the actual process for retarding the timing, just moving the rotor position ?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #7

I was told to max out at 26.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
duke36

Got the answer form FS to retard at idle with the distributor body rotated clockwise very slightly no more than 2 or 3 % from TDC (towards passenger side from TDC mark if no degree marking tag). Rotor should be aligned as per FS instructions at the leading edge of #1 spark position.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
old31

Because the FS distributors do not have a pin in the back of the distributor like the originals, you can "clock" the distributor to change the timing. I find it better to just change the rotor position.

That way the distributor doesn't look crooked.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
duke36

Well, it took 7-8 tries to get it to time close to TDC with a timing light at idle by adjusting the rotor. It is confusing which edge of the rotor tab should be positioned to #1 cap position. Andrews Green book shows advance and retard positions but perhaps not for the FS zipper.
According to FS , they omitted the pin to hold the distributor in the block due to added casting cost! Rotating the distrib body as old31 states allows for fine tuning but did look crooked. It didn't want to idle smoothly BTDC, but as Synchro stated, it liked the idle at about 3-5 deg (3/64") advanced with the 5.5 head. Marking 1.25 " on the 5 1/4" pulley from TDC does show advance within this range as posted elsewhere. We hope this set up ( installed by prior owner) will be effective on very steep hills in our area without the need to manually adjust retard.
Thanks also for the posted info.

Last edited by duke36; 09-19-2017 at 10:10 PM.