Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
3739ford

Default 39 gas tank

My gas line inside the tank broke off while cleaning the sludge out of it. How big of a job is it to remove the brads at the fitting and pull out and repair.
3739ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
Dak Rat

Default Re: 39 gas tank

Should be "do-able" They are also soldered to the tank so you have to deal with that as well when you re-install the fitting.
Dak Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3739ford View Post
My gas line inside the tank broke off while cleaning the sludge out of it. How big of a job is it to remove the brads at the fitting and pull out and repair.
I'm not certain how this could be done (reasonably). Removing the fitting is easy. How you'd reinstall it is where the trouble begins. You'd need to access the interior of the tank.
Then, there's that tube... it needs to be soldered to the inside of the tank. Again, access to the inside is necessary.
So, ya cut a hole in the top of the tank large enough to work through. You MUST clean out all signs of fuel before any "sparks" are introduced. If ethanol based fuels have been used, they tend to be absorbed in to the steel. that's obviously problematic in itself.
Then, after you've jumped through all of the repair "hoops" you need to reweld the tank with no air leaks.
Bottom line? Buy a new tank.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I'm not certain how this could be done (reasonably). Removing the fitting is easy. How you'd reinstall it is where the trouble begins. You'd need to access the interior of the tank.
Then, there's that tube... it needs to be soldered to the inside of the tank. Again, access to the inside is necessary.
So, ya cut a hole in the top of the tank large enough to work through. You MUST clean out all signs of fuel before any "sparks" are introduced. If ethanol based fuels have been used, they tend to be absorbed in to the steel. that's obviously problematic in itself.
Then, after you've jumped through all of the repair "hoops" you need to reweld the tank with no air leaks.
Bottom line? Buy a new tank.
Excellent advice, buy a new tank.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
3739ford

Thanks for responding I am looking at obtaining a good tank.

But, If a hole is required to work through to repair it would seem to me to just cut the fitting out. Removing the fitting and line to make the repair and then just weld it back in place. I know it sounds a lot easier than it would be to do.
3739ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3739ford View Post
Thanks for responding I am looking at obtaining a good tank.

But, If a hole is required to work through to repair it would seem to me to just cut the fitting out. Removing the fitting and line to make the repair and then just weld it back in place. I know it sounds a lot easier than it would be to do.
You'll need to get at the back of the flange to install either rivets or bolts, lock washers and nuts. So, a decent enough size hole to get in there and do the work. Plus, you'll need to clean the interior very well so you can solder the new pick up line.

Welding metal that has had fuel saturated in to it (read: ethanol) is very dangerous. That's precisely why most radiator shops that used to repair gas tanks simply stopped doing so. It wasn't an economics issue but rather a safety issue.
Buy a new tank.