Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2023, 10:53 AM   #1
oldbugger

Default 88 Ford Ranger

Old Rusty, as my wife calls it, is my plow truck here in Mi. Runs good for a 400 $ truck, except when it warms up. Its wierd, sometimes, not always, has a big bog when stepping on the gas, then quits, starts right back up and runs good for a minute or two, then does it again. I changed the in tank fuel pump, air valve for the intake, plugs, wires. It's a 2300 4cyl. any thoughts?
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 12:10 PM   #2
scicala

Default Re: 88 Ford Ranger

Have you ever replaced the fuel filter ? Coud be the problem.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 12:10 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: 88 Ford Ranger

Quote:
... except when it warms up. Its wierd, sometimes, not always, has a big bog when stepping on the gas, then quits, starts right back up and runs good for a minute or two, then does it again. I changed the in tank fuel pump, air valve ...
CARB or EFI?

AIR VALVE (?)

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 12:54 PM   #4
oldbugger

EFI, air valve, its attached to the air cleaner housing, "idle air valve"? sorry not up on EFI stuff, give a carb any day.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:58 PM   #5
oldbugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Have you ever replaced the fuel filter ? Coud be the problem.

Sal
changed the one in the tank, and one on the inside of the frame, is there more of them
Old 11-28-2023, 01:02 PM   #6
rjlester

Clean the throttle body if you haven't already.
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:34 PM   #7
oldbugger

thanks guys for the help
Old 11-28-2023, 06:02 PM   #8
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbugger View Post
changed the one in the tank, and one on the inside of the frame, is there more of them
Those are the only two fiters. The pick up sock in the tank and the round metal filter on the frame rail by the high pressure pump.
Have you checked the fuel pressure when this happens ?
If I remember right it should be 32 PSI with the vacuum line on the regulator at idle, and 40 PSI with the vacuum line disconnected at the regulator (simulating wide open throttle).

Maybe scan the procesor for trouble codes too.

Sal
Old 11-28-2023, 06:17 PM   #9
KULTULZ

It sounds to me ... ... as once it comes off the enrichment circuit (cold start), she goes lean.

I am a$$-u-me(ing) it is an EFI SYSTEM with a SGL THROAT THROTTLE BODY. It is EEC-IV OBD-II. The ECM needs to be scanned for any possible code(s).

Did you have a fuel pressure gauge when replacing the pump?

It idles fine at cold start but when the fast idle comes down she stutters?

Is the throttle body carboned up? There is also an IAC (IDLE AIR CONTROL) MOTOR on the side of the TB that will get gummed up as the PCV SYSTEM unloads there. Then you also have a COOLANT TEMP SENSOR that goes because the coolant is never changed and an AIR INLET TEMP SENSOR.

You can scan the ECM manually if you have the patience.

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

Old 11-28-2023, 07:07 PM   #10
oldbugger

now you have overloaded me with info. Thanks I will see what i can figure out. On this one the idle air control is by the air cleaner, and i replaced that, seemed to help for a week or so then back to the same thing. I guess i should drive it more, but its not road worthy and it hardly snows here any more. ha ha
Old 11-28-2023, 07:10 PM   #11
Daves55Sedan

If I'm not mistaken, '88 was the last year for carburators before EFI took over in '89. Sounds to me like junk in the gas tank is bunching up around the sock and starving out the carb for gas, but once it is shut off, there's no more suction and the junk falls off around the sock, so the engine can start again, for a little while until the situation repeats itself. Either that or clogged fuel filter.
For refernece, I use those cheap clear-plastic inline fuel filters in both my jalopies and they never last longer than one year, even though I don't run them much anymore.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:54 PM   #12
oldbugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
If I'm not mistaken, '88 was the last year for carburators before EFI took over in '89. Sounds to me like junk in the gas tank is bunching up around the sock and starving out the carb for gas, but once it is shut off, there's no more suction and the junk falls off around the sock, so the engine can start again, for a little while until the situation repeats itself. Either that or clogged fuel filter.
For refernece, I use those cheap clear-plastic inline fuel filters in both my jalopies and they never last longer than one year, even though I don't run them much anymore.
thanks Dave, the tank was new when i put the new fuel pump in,so shouldnt be too dirty. It is EFI, maybe an 89 never got the title. It is only driven on my property and not often enough
Old 11-28-2023, 07:56 PM   #13
KULTULZ

It is EFI, correct? This year had two pumps, one a transfer pump in the tank and the other, the high pressure pump on the rail.

Could also be a vacuum leak, EGR VALVE or possibly a fuel pressure regulator.

You actually need a FORD WSM to go through the DIAGNOSTIC ROUTINE before dumping any more $$$ on it.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:39 PM   #14
craig

If it is an '88, 2.3 it's a DOHC engine with a plastic intake manifold. The manifolds did crack, creating a vac leak, that usually won't throw trouble code. Sometimes you can find a vac leak with carb cleaner spray, just stay clear of the ignition system
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:18 PM   #15
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
In '88 the 2.3L Ranger was EFI, and the 2.0L 4 cyl. still used a carburetor.
This one is a 2.3L EFI, and yes the IAC was mounted to the air cleaner box with a hose going to the throttle body.

Sal
Old 11-29-2023, 07:03 PM   #16
oldbugger

Yes, thats the one. when i mess with the IAC hose by taking it partial off the thing runs nice. thats why i replaced the IAC. but that was not the permanent fix, but makes me think i am on the right track.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:04 PM   #17
oldbugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
In '88 the 2.3L Ranger was EFI, and the 2.0L 4 cyl. still used a carburetor.
This one is a 2.3L EFI, and yes the IAC was mounted to the air cleaner box with a hose going to the throttle body.

Sal
thanks Sal
Old 11-29-2023, 07:05 PM   #18
KULTULZ

Question Re: 88 Ford Ranger

Quote:
... the IAC was mounted to the air cleaner box with a hose going to the throttle body.
oldbugger -

R U able to take and post photos? I surely would like to see how the engine is setup.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-29-2023 at 07:20 PM. Reason: THE USUALY - ADVANCED CRS
Old 11-29-2023, 09:23 PM   #19
oldbugger

I am able to take pictures with my phone, but posting dont work for me. sorry
Old 11-30-2023, 03:43 AM   #20
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 88 Ford Ranger

THANX! for trying ...