Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default 53 Mercury modification questions

I have a bone stock 53 merc Monterey Sports Coupe, & am considering buying another with a chev 350/turbo 350 otherwise stock (drums, old rear end etc).

On my bone stock Merc I am wondering what differences, particularly compatability problems or differences, between the 53 Merc flat head & a 51 (seller thinks) 59AB 1951 pick up engine? In other words can I remove & replace original with (supposedly freshly rebuilt) Pick Up engine??

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&

Now the Merc/chev hybrid (sure wish it had a Ford/Mercury 351W). Without going financially crazy If I buy it I would want Power steering, disc brakes, preferably power, & most likely a more modern Rear end, though not so sure about that. My interest is NOT a hot rod but a dependable driver to go anywhere, any time AND not spending a fortune (seller wants a pretty penny). On eBay i see a possible solution (eBay item number: 391020565233). Anybody installed this - problems??? And on BOTH cars better wipers. I am JC & would appreciate direct emails as I have a hell of a time navigating this site. [email protected] BTW I need a few trim items for a 53 Monterey Sports Coupe. I need the badge on front fender (53 only) next to word "Monterey" [have word not the badge] I need the seat adjusting handle, a fog light switch & pair (or 1 at a time) rear bumper guards, & a knob for my clock. Always interested in small emblems & excellent chrome items.

I am in central California (2 hours from a freeway or city) Heck our highways are only 1 lane in each direction in a rural mountain community, my COUNTY has 2 traffic lights & 40K population so don't hold Calif against me)

Is anybody aware of a site dedicated to early 50's Fords/Mercs?? I will try but probably not find your posted answers on this site so PLEASE email me at [email protected] many thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh I would love it if some of you cut & paste this in other sites or locations on this site.
doberdawg@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
TomO

Default Re: 53 Mercury modification questions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The 59 AB engine is fro the 46-48 Ford and Mercury cars. The trucks changed to the 8BA type engine in 1948. The 51 Pickup engine would work in your 53 Merc. You will have to change the water pumps, intake manifold, carburetor and trans adapter from your 53 engine to the 51 engine. You will lose a few cubic inches (255 for 53 Merc vs 239 for 51 Pickup), some horsepower and some torque. If your Merc has the Merc-o-Matic, I would not do the switch. You will have to change the flywheel and the car would be sluggish.