Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2024, 01:04 PM   #1
poolplayer1

Default 1955 Ranch Wagon Shocks Question

The shocks on my wagon do not have a smooth ride to them. When I hit a bump, I can feel it pretty bad. I replaced this shocks about 10 years ago but even from the beginning, I never got a smooth ride. I am getting ready to buy new ones but I want some that will give me a comfortable ride. If any of you have a 55 wagon and are getting a pretty nice ride, what brand of shocks are you using? Eaton springs has some for the 55 cars but no mention of a wagon. Are they the same? I always thought that the wagon would be heavier than the car and therefore use different springs.
If any of you can help me with suggestions, please let me know.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:50 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: 1955 Ranch Wagon Shocks Question

Eaton Detroit springs makes all kinds of springs for all kinds of applications. I suggest calling them and see if they have what you want.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:52 PM   #3
miker98038

This is the link to Eaton, and the chart shows which shocks they recommend. Note of caution, there’s an old post at yblocksforever that some KYB’ are short and cause a problem changing the rear tires. I’d ask first.

https://eatondetroitspring.com/db/es...+4.8L+-+292cid
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:03 PM   #4
poolplayer1

Thank Paul and Miker for your help. I will go to the Link that Miker98038 shows here and see if they have the shocks for my wagon.
Old 01-17-2024, 06:17 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Question Re: 1955 Ranch Wagon Shocks Question

Quote:
The shocks on my wagon do not have a smooth ride to them. When I hit a bump, I can feel it pretty bad. I replaced this shocks about 10 years ago but even from the beginning, I never got a smooth ride.
Are you sure the springs are not worn?

How does the car sit? Does it sag?

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:17 AM   #6
poolplayer1

I just replaced the front Springs last year. The rear leaf springs are still OEM. I feel the bumps at the front of the wagon. The wagon sits level, no sagging at all.
I wonder if the rear shocks that I put on years back are the wrong ones because now that miker98038 mentions it, I do have a problem changing the rear tires. The only way I can lift the wagon high enough to change the tire is by loosing the nut on the shock. Once I do this, the body will go up high enough to change the tire. Do any of you have the specs on the rear shocks, in other words, What are the dimensions of the shock extended and when its collapsed. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:38 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Question Re: 1955 Ranch Wagon Shocks Question

Where did you source the springs?

The shocks?

It sounds as the rear shocks do not have enough travel or the leaf springs have given up.

When you buy box store parts, you are not actually repairing the car, you are modifying it with sloppy-copies parts.

Depending on the spring ratings they sold you will determine ride quality and needed correct shock travel.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:11 PM   #8
miker98038

Here’s the link to that old y block discussion. You’ll have to go pretty much all the way thru it, but it’s not that long.

Mention is made of using shock extensions to solve the wheel change problem. While that’s often workable, you’d also need to check that the shock doesn’t bottom on compression before the bump stop limits it’s travel. Probably a small chance of bottoming if the springs are good and you’re not heavily loaded, but still prudent to check.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic112472-2.aspx
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:38 PM   #9
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
Mention is made of using shock extensions to solve the wheel change problem. While that’s often workable, you’d also need to check that the shock doesn’t bottom on compression before the bump stop limits it’s travel. Probably a small chance of bottoming if the springs are good and you’re not heavily loaded, but still prudent to check.
I agree. If the internal parts of the shock absorber are forced to become the travel limits for the suspension they won't last long. Might also damage or break the shock mounts.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:13 AM   #10
poolplayer1

Thanks guys for your help. I will read all the info from the link that is posted here. dmsfrr, I don't quite understand what you say about the shocks being forced to become the travel limits. Can you explain a little more? Maybe its my age that won't let me understand what you saying.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:03 PM   #11
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
Thanks guys for your help. I will read all the info from the link that is posted here. dmsfrr, I don't quite understand what you say about the shocks being forced to become the travel limits. Can you explain a little more? Maybe its my age that won't let me understand what you saying.
A shock absorber will have a maximum extended and minimum compressed length.
When using the vehicle if the suspension moves farther in either direction than the distance the shock absorber can accommodate (heavily loaded or weak springs, and missing upper bump stops for example) the internal parts of the shock absorber can be damaged from an impact.
Quote:
When I hit a bump, I can feel it pretty bad.
In your instance of having to remove shock mounting bolts to let the axle drop enough to change a tire... the chances of shock absorber damage from that are almost nonexistent, but... if at it's current ride height the shocks on your wagon are working too close to their compressed or extended limit they could be having trouble performing effectively, another possible cause of the poor ride you mentioned.

Confirming you get the correct shocks to fit the vehicle is the best first step.

Leaf springs normally sag with use and age. If there is a spring & suspension shop near you they should be able to offer some 'hands-on' advice rather than guessing at pricey replacement parts, plus shipping.
Having the existing springs re-arched and a leaf added would be a common thing to do.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-21-2024 at 04:11 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 02:01 PM   #12
poolplayer1

Ok, got it. Thanks dmsfrr for explaining how it works. I will make sure I get the correct shocks for the wagon. Also, thanks to all the other guys that are always willing to give their opinion or suggestions on my questions.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:36 PM   #13
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: 1955 Ranch Wagon Shocks Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post

I just replaced the front Springs last year. The rear leaf springs are still OEM. I feel the bumps at the front of the wagon. The wagon sits level, no sagging at all.
Is the front suspension tight, control arm bushings, stabilizer bar bushings, front cross-member?[/quote]

Quote:
Do any of you have the specs on the rear shocks, in other words, What are the dimensions of the shock extended and when its collapsed. Thanks to all for your help.
See if this is helpful - https://www.shockwarehouse.com/pages...e-measurements

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
Old 01-23-2024, 01:07 PM   #14
poolplayer1

Yes KULTULZ, I have replaced all the control arm bushings along with the stabilizer bushings. I repaired the complete front end including alignment.
I went to the link that you put here and the shocks that they show for my wagon are not the ones I need. The front shocks on my wagon have a small bracket at the bottom where the 2 bolts go through to hold the shock. The ones they show for the front have the 2 ends the same, where both ends have a bolt stud .I tried calling them yesterday but could not get tru. I will try again later today. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:14 PM   #15
KULTULZ

Quote:
I went to the link that you put here and the shocks that they show for my wagon are not the ones I need.
Now don't forget, most photos on sites are representative, i.e they may not show the exact shock for your application. Did you see the compressed/extended lengths chart? It should also give end types.

That's what you are after.

-EDIT- -

There are the original FORD PN's. May help you in conversion -

FRONT - 1949/56 FORD - B5A 18124-D (ROTUNDA R21-B)
REAR - 1952/56 FORD SW (HD) - B7A 18125-H (R-22A)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 01-23-2024 at 08:36 PM. Reason: ADD INFO