Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2023, 10:44 PM   #1
rjlester

Default Eaton PS pump seal kit?

Eaton pump from a 54 Ford, is there a kit available? I can't seem to find anything online. It has the numbers B9 and A13H on it. Took the reservoir off to clean it and it looks like there are 4 o-rings required, (pressure and return, and two bolt holes) but if I take the pump apart, there is what looks like a bigger o-ring (watched a youtube video on disassembly) but I don't have anything that big.

Also, there is a metal bracket inside the reservoir that had no gasket under it, it goes around all 4 openings.

Any kits available out there and I'm just not looking in the right place? The kits I find are all for later Eaton pumps.
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 03:57 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Eaton PS pump seal kit?

The pump was changed in JAN 1955 and it required a different (later) kit. This must be where you are hitting a wall.

Do you need the kit for the bowl or pump? Are the ID NOS complete and were they on the pump or bowl?

Correct kit for 1954 FORD (if original correct pump) -

https://cgfordparts.com/power-steeri...z-3b584-c.html

ADDENDUM -

Kit also fits -
Quote:
Thunderbird - 1955, 1956, 1957
Might make it easier to find a kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PS PUMP - RE-SEAL KITS (3B584) - 1949-59 FORD MPC.jpg (20.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-03-2023 at 04:04 AM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:30 AM   #3
rjlester

Default Re: Eaton PS pump seal kit?

Yes! That's the right kit, I recognized the grommet for the tank lid bolt. Those guys are out of stock, but I can use that part number to find one somewhere else.

Thanks Kultulz!
Old 12-03-2023, 11:58 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Here's a BLOW-UP of the 1954 reservoir if it helps -

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 12-04-2023, 11:24 AM   #5
rjlester

Thanks for the diagram, I can't read that one, but this one can be zoomed into, slightly different pump: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1444912596

I've looked online and the only kits available are 100 bucks, plus shipping and I'm not about to pay that (yet) for a few o-rings. Contacted a few companies that offer it cheaper and they are all out of stock. I'm also in Canada, so the conversion and sometimes border fees are terrible (UPS).

I really only need the grommet on the tank bolt (number 6570 in the diagram) and I think I can fudge one up with a couple of o-rings I have in my kit.

While I'm at it, I will order a set of idler arm bushings from rockauto as I might as well change them. They seem tight, but one is questionable.
Old 12-04-2023, 12:02 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlester View Post

Thanks for the diagram, I can't read that one ...
Sorry about that. My browser for some reason does not play well with this forum.

Quote:
I really only need the grommet on the tank bolt (number 6570 in the diagram) and I think I can fudge one up with a couple of o-rings I have in my kit.
If that grommet is all you need, GIGGLE B9A 6570-A and you will come across them. It is the same grommet used on FYB rocker covers.

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

Old 12-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #7
rjlester

Kultulz, you are a WEALTH of info! Thanks so much, I'm going to order 10 of them. I have a y-block in my 57 Monarch. This is great, again, thanks man! Quick response too...
Old 12-21-2023, 04:13 PM   #8
Grumpy Rick

Sorry to barge in, but my '55 T-Bird was made in September '54. Do all the '55's have the newer pump?
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 06:35 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Rick View Post

Sorry to barge in, but my '55 T-Bird was made in September '54. Do all the '55's have the newer pump?
You're OK ...

According to FINAL ISSUE MPC, the 55 THRU 57 used the same pump for service. It has a reference to all three years being replaced by a 1957 SERVICE PN (no further details). One would need year specific CHASSIS CATALOG(s) to narrow it all down.

Is your BIRD numbers correct or does it matter?

REALITY CHECK -

I understand what you are asking now. The car was assembled SEP 1954. In that instance, I would a$$-u-me it received the early pump. Can you measure the DIA of the pump reservoir bowl?

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-22-2023 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2023, 01:42 AM   #10
Grumpy Rick

Got out and checked it today with a tape measure. It is close to 5 1/4" diameter.

Hope that helps, thanks.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 05:23 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Rick View Post

Got out and checked it today with a tape measure. It is close to 5 1/4" diameter.

Hope that helps, thanks.
IF the pump is original install (not replaced with a later pump during service life), your complete seal kit is FORD B4AZ 3B584-C.

GIGGLE the PN for quality/price.