Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2023, 07:17 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default 31 Rear Axle Rebuild

I am continuing my rear axle project and now have most parts disassembled. The pinion gear was removed from the drive shaft and the axle housings are off. Today I will take apart the with the carrier assembly and inspect the spider gears. My question is "are there any adjustments that need to be made when re-assembling the carrier." I am using Tom Endy's 2014 paper and will go thru the pre-load process without the axle shafts and spider gears first with no paper gaskets checking for ring gear lockup. However, upon re-assembling the carrier I want to be sure that there is nothing to be adjusted or shimmed.
Thanks for your help, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 08:48 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 31 Rear Axle Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I am continuing my rear axle project and now have most parts disassembled. The pinion gear was removed from the drive shaft and the axle housings are off. Today I will take apart the with the carrier assembly and inspect the spider gears. My question is "are there any adjustments that need to be made when re-assembling the carrier." I am using Tom Endy's 2014 paper and will go thru the pre-load process without the axle shafts and spider gears first with no paper gaskets checking for ring gear lockup. However, upon re-assembling the carrier I want to be sure that there is nothing to be adjusted or shimmed.
Thanks for your help, Ed
Ed, if you are 'shimming' anything, then something is outside of original specifications. There were some Differential Bearing Races at one time that a few vendors were carrying that were not made to original specs, so someone offered shims to place behind those to space them out. If the Differential gears are worn, then there will be excessive backlash between the axle gears, but shimming behind the gears is not the proper method for compensation IMO.

One of the things I find wrong with many axle housings is they are bent, -especially on the flange to Differential Housing areas. They really need to be heat straightened and then the flanges trued in a lathe if you are doing a proper restoration.

/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7256.jpg (67.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7258.jpg (58.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7261.jpg (54.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7262.jpg (50.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7264.jpg (54.7 KB, 43 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 03:34 AM   #3
john charlton

Default Re: 31 Rear Axle Rebuild

Keep all 3 spider gears as a set so driving load is evenly shared . If you replace one gear with a less worn one it will take ALL the driving load . I keep the spider gears on the spider where they have been so no new wear pattern also where and which way up the spider was in the carrier . I mark the carrier and spider so everything goes back as it comes out .

John in rain on the way again Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote