Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #1
Alaska Jim

Default tri-power problems

As many of you know , my 1930 ford coupe has a 272 "y" block in it with 3 94 carbs. I bought the car as a fresh 90% finished build. the car was only running on the center carb when I got it. the end carbs had block off plates between the carbs and the manifold, and the banjo fuel fittings plugged. It also had the power valves plugged in the end carbs. when I got the car it was running lean. I pulled the tops to all 3 carbs and found that they all had # 51 jets, and the 2 end carbs had the power valves plugged. I changed the center carb jets up to # 56's and It seemed to run pretty good. well I finally got the car out of winter storage, and decided to enable the other 2 carbs. ( running straight linkage--all 3 at once ). I pulled the tops off of the end carbs and switched the "51 jets to # 46's, and put it back together. started it up and it seemed to run good, no black smoke indicating it was rich. shut it off a few minutes and repeated the start-up. seemed to run good so shut it off. came back a couple of days later and decided to take it out for a test drive. well , the darn thing started loading up right off, blowing black smoke and running to rich to even idle. I am not sure what the problem is. I suspect that with that much fuel right off on start up that maybe the plugged power valves may be leaking. we had previously checked the float level and all looked good, we took the tops off all carbs and checked for stuck needle and seat problem found nothing wrong. before I tear all the carbs off again to check the power valve in the center carb, and the plugs in the end carbs, I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what my problem may be, and any suggestions as how to set the whole thing up, maybe I am overlooking something simple. I am not real familiar with the 94 carbs, however I am a retired mechanic and do know a thing or two, but it seems I have forgotten more than I can remember. any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If I can not sort it out, I will put it back to running on the center carb only, as I have had my brother build a bored and stroked 292 with a 2x4 manifold with a pair of teapot carbs, that we hope to swap in this coming winter. Thanks for taking the time to read this and as I said before, any help or suggestions are appreciated------JIm
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote