Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
Kube

Default proper 40 PU horn button

What does a concourse correct horn button look like for a 40 pickup? I don't mean according to Drake or another supplier. I mean concourse correct...
Thanks.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
RalphM

Default Re: proper 40 PU horn button

I'm probably wrong, but this is the one I always associated with the 40 pick up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1129.jpg (7.8 KB, 102 views)
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
41PICUP

Don't know if they are the same, but here is the one that came with my 41
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2068.jpg (47.7 KB, 83 views)
41PICUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #4
fordscript

I have a nos one, and the FORD script and border are a beautiful red color that turns to a reddish gold when turned to the light. Repro buttons that I have seen are just painted an orange/red.
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
Floyd

Mike, based on my poor ole 40 pickup,a wore out farm truck when I got it, and what I have gathered from other sources, I believe the horn button is of the same style as the standard car, i.e. circular rings and the stylized v8 logo, but in a molded black color to match the steering wheel color. On my truck the color has changed from a pure black to something less, but still very dark and certainly not close to the Briarwood of the car wheel and button. As you can guess, the repo ones sold for 40 commercial cars could not be more wrong. In 41 with the other engine options the v8 logo went away and the button had the ford logo inside a sorta rectangle that mimicked the 41 pickup center dash /hood side logo emblems. The repro s are ok for 41 but not 40. I can send you a pic of my 40 button if you like. The v8 logo is very faint.
This is my observation and giving 40 info to you is like talking 32 stuff with David. So if you think I am wrong, I am sure that would be true. Have fun with your 40 pick up, I love mine.
Just an opinion
Floyd
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I'm probably wrong, but this is the one I always associated with the 40 pick up.
This it what I've seen in '40 pick ups as well.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
CaliforniaBorn36

My original 40 pickup had the V8 as Floyd described. Unfortunately I let that one go many moons ago....
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:15 AM   #8
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBorn36 View Post
My original 40 pickup had the V8 as Floyd described. Unfortunately I let that one go many moons ago....
I agree with both you and Floyd. The horn button on my 40 tonner is black with 3 white concentric rings on the outside and the V8 logo in the middle. Its an OEM button that is original to the truck. I can't vouch for it being concourse correct, but in the only judged Ford event that I showed the truck I didn't get a deduction for an incorrect horn button for whatever that's worth.
Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:39 AM   #9
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41PICUP View Post
Don't know if they are the same, but here is the one that came with my 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
What does a concourse correct horn button look like for a 40 pickup? I don't mean according to Drake or another supplier. I mean concourse correct...
Thanks.
Mike
This Dennis Carpenter button looks like the one on my tonner except the logo in the center is white and the rings on the edge have traces of white paint in them also. http://dennis-carpenter.com/horn-button/p/01C-3627/
Les Williams
Old 11-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #10
Kube

Thanks guys. From my research, I believe Floyd, Expavr and Californiaborn36 have this correct.
Thanks to all...
Old 11-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #11
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Thanks guys. From my research, I believe Floyd, Expavr and Californiaborn36 have this correct.
Thanks to all...
Then what is the Ford in the rectangular box correct for? Since a few of us seem to have some OEM ones I'd like to know.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Then what is the Ford in the rectangular box correct for? Since a few of us seem to have some OEM ones I'd like to know.
I think, mind you, I think, they are either 41 - 47 or 41. I am not certain though.

I do know I never count on Drake, etc. to teach what is correct or not. Too often they model their parts after service replacement parts. And, we all know - well, most of us know, that service parts were not necessarily concourse correct.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #13
Terry,OH

Too bad Ford did not have the part number embossed into the plastic! The Chassis parts book list the same horn button for the commercials as well as the bigger trucks, 01C-3627. Neither the Commercial or truck owners instructions show the button.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #14
Fordors

Quote:
I think, mind you, I think, they are either 41 - 47 or 41. I am not certain though.

I do know I never count on Drake, etc. to teach what is correct or not. Too often they model their parts after service replacement parts. And, we all know - well, most of us know, that service parts were not necessarily concourse correct.
I looked for an official Ford 1940 pickup photo that shows a clear interior shot but could not find one. There is a factory photo of a '42 Army p/u that does show the Ford in rectangle horn button and while not definitive it does add credence to the '41-'47 theory.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #15
adamsford40

The 40 pickup horn button is black with Ford script in the center. The ones sold for years are not correct. Carpenter cast some correctly a few years ago (about $40.00 each).
adamsford40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #16
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsford40 View Post
The 40 pickup horn button is black with Ford script in the center. The ones sold for years are not correct. Carpenter cast some correctly a few years ago (about $40.00 each).
Do you mean ONLY the Ford script or the script surrounded by a rectangle?

I recall Bob Moon was somehow instrumental in getting Carpenter to make the buttons. However, I do not know what they ended up with.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #17
expavr

In absence of evidence to the contrary I think that Dennis Carpenter's label of 40-41 on the V8 logo is the most accurate for judging purposes. The appearance of the rectangular Ford script labeled buttons could have appeared in the 41 model year when Ford ran out of the V8 logo buttons. Of course the other possibility is that Ford management decided to maliciously do a mid year switch in order to provoke a debate at some future point in time.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #18
Floyd

The horn button part number for the ford script in the rectangle is 11C 3627. That tells you the answer. (1941). I believe that was used from 41 to 47. Makes sense since the logo exactly matches the hood and dash emblems that started in 1941 and takes in account the availability of the 6 cylinder engine. The original part number 01C 3627 with the v8 logo (matches the hubcaps) may be lost to history as a one year item. The chassis parts book (green bible) doesn't help matters as it notes the 1941 part 11C for 1940 truck. We know that is because the fit and function for the 1941 part is backward compatible to 1940 even though the logo is different. The vendors are not helping matters as they are using the 1948 version of the green bible which is seldom correct for a specific model year as issued. I am still sticking with my unloved, untouched and never serviced 40 pickup with the black v8 logo horn button. (it looks better know).
just an opinion
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #19
Tim Ayers

I knew it! I knew there had to be a conspiracy somewhere involved in all this. Dang you, Edsel Ford!
Old 11-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #20
rockfla

Wasn't there also a 4cyl available for 1940? and wouldn't it have been different than the circles and V8???
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote