Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2023, 05:24 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default A/c

So here's where it starts, I have an A/C unit from Mr. Davis down Texas way. It works well for the first 10 miles or so then becomes a nice mover of air that is in the cab, but doesn't add much, if any, cold to the cabin air. I suspected the fan that blows air through the condenser is not doing it's job so checked after the system had run a bit and sure enough the little fan is not turning. So, I pulled the hot lead off the fan and found that it is powered up and as I hooked it back up it arced and sparked and the little fan made a valiant effort to spin and the just quit, no more movement. I did this several times and each time it did the same thing, fan began to rotate, flashes and sparks as I plugged the hot lead back into the system and then nothing.
So, is it the fan motor and if so where do I find another or someone to repair it? Do I return it to the vendor, Davis? If so I have to ask someone to provide me with his contact information. If it is not the motor, where do I turn next?
Dave
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:06 PM   #2
mcgarrett

Default Re: A/c

Here is the link to Ken's website:

http://www.kendavismodela.com/index.html

He's been supporting the Model A hobby for quite a long time and stands behind his products. Leave a message on his contact phone or email him and he will get back to you ASAP.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:18 PM   #3
daveymc29

Thanks for the help everyone. This time I'm taking all the blame, the wire to the condenser connect with one clip standing horizontal and the other being vertical, if you will. I got up close with a light and a pair of glasses and found that when I put the leads together correctly that little fan almost sucked the last few strands of hair off my head. I ran a quick test in my garaged and the A/C will have to be controlled or it will drive my poor wife out of the car. I have no idea how it was working before, but now the connections are as Ken intended, the cool air is flowing strong. Bless you all.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 01:38 PM   #4
mcgarrett

Stay cool!!
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 06:18 PM   #5
Herb Concord Ca

glad to hear you found the problem.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote