Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2017, 05:29 AM   #21
weemark

Default Re: bob drake

would making a part with the correct thread/bolt hole in it cost any more than making a part with the wrong one? I don't see why making a correct one would cost more money, a holes a hole and a thread is a thread...
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #22
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
would making a part with the correct thread/bolt hole in it cost any more than making a part with the wrong one? I don't see why making a correct one would cost more money, a holes a hole and a thread is a thread...
It depends on how the manufacturer is set up. Most likely they don't have #12 taps. I worked in this type of industry for decades. Things are done to the customer's specifications.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #23
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredford View Post
I bought a bob drake reproduction window regulators for my 1940 ford coupe. Also bought a new hardware kit for the regulators. The new hardware kit does not work on the regulator nut plates. Different threads. Called Bob Drake and was told it is my problem to find something that works. What the hell. Regulator nut plates are metric and the new bolt kit is SAE.

I cleaned up the original regulators and will use them, everything works. Metric vs SAE.
In my opinion, you need to be more aggressive at getting this straightened out with Bob Drake. Don't let the sales person at the other end of the phone tell you it's your problem. Go directly to Bob on this and don't give up until it's resolved to your satisfaction!! Or return the parts and get your money refunded.
I see Bob at a couple shows each year and we are also friends on Facebook. I would not hesitate to let him know if I'm unhappy with anything I have purchased.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #24
Russdadto5

I try to support these companies because they support the hobby but I just ordered 6 94 holley to intake gaskets & 3 intake studs with nuts from Bob Drakes . I was charged $2.00 for guaranteed delivery . They don't show shipping cost . So when I got the package it was a mailer with 6 paper thin gaskets in it the shipping was almost $18.00 dollars no studs, no bolts .I could have bought a dozen somewhere else for $18.00 & free shipping ! I just hope they don't ship the studs & bolts later . I might have to sell the car to pay the shipping.
Russdadto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #25
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdadto5 View Post
I try to support these companies because they support the hobby but I just ordered 6 94 holley to intake gaskets & 3 intake studs with nuts from Bob Drakes . I was charged $2.00 for guaranteed delivery . They don't show shipping cost . So when I got the package it was a mailer with 6 paper thin gaskets in it the shipping was almost $18.00 dollars no studs, no bolts .I could have bought a dozen somewhere else for $18.00 & free shipping ! I just hope they don't ship the studs & bolts later . I might have to sell the car to pay the shipping.
Yep. Although his catalog states quite clearly that all packages are shipped at the cost the carrier charges them. Funny as heck!

That $2 fee is listed in his catalog so a guy can't complain about that.
However, all packages shipped via UPS are guaranteed to $100 inclusive of the shipping fee. Packages sent via US mail are guaranteed to $50 so this fee is not much more than one of those things added on just "because".

Perhaps you might want to call him and ask about the "actual" shipping fee. His shipping terms are listed near the end of his catalog.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #26
Karl

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwick01 View Post
For me, I like cheaper prices. It lets me stay in the hobby.
Yep and that's fine. What you are prepared to do is trade off quality for cost . Personally I would prefer to spend more and have to mess with the parts less to make them work . However I'm still working and have the discretionary income to pay more . When I retire i will have lots of time and no money (given the way my wife spends ) I will be happy to pay less and mess more -
The other thing we need to remember that the parts situation is actually better than it has ever been . When my father restored a Model A in the 60's and 70's virtually nothing was available. He had to make lots . Today even though the parts are not perfect they will work or can be made to work and how many people are going to notice that they are not exactly as original -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:08 AM   #27
slowforty

On another note I ordered some decals and small gaskets from Drake. And a Lady from the Company called me to ask if it was all right to send it in an envelope instead of the regular shipping, Which was much cheaper. Evidently they have some type of agreement with the shipper, in this case it was UPS. and Employees who are good.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #28
woodiewagon46

V-8 Bob, I for one are not impressed with Drakes "quality". I purchased a pair of fender guards for my '46 Woodie. The first thing I noticed is that some of the studs were welded in the wrong place and they couldn't be used. Got another pair and the fit was OK, but not exact. When I started to tighten the studs, two out of 6 broke off. The next issue was the "8" Emblem on the hood ornament. Installed the one from Drake and a week later it was missing, only the stud remained. When I called the salesperson said "you should have put a dab of silicone sealant behind it, to glue it in place", WHAT! Quality at one time perhaps, not anymore.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #29
marko39

I too got bit by his shipping. ordered small wire harness that was less than 1 lb. shipping showed 0.00 at checkout and my email receipt. when order arrived i was charged 17.46 for shipping-32 percent. called them to see if this was error and was told if i wasn't happy i could return for refund- LESS SHIPPING! took same package to post office to get price to ship back-4.29 they lost me as a long time customer.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #30
dwick01

Karl, I agree with you. When I was still working, it was much easier to spend extra on quality, and that was my preferred choice. However, things get a little tighter for some of us after retirement. Maybe they should have two tier parts?
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #31
philipswanson

I would definitely vote for bring all manufacturing back to the US and paying the higher price for the better quality. If you want to go cheap with inferior quality, that's fine but not on my cars. Even if you get it to fit, it usually won't last anyway. Drake advertises high quality and "Exact as Original" which is false advertising. Buyer beware! I think originally this was true but like so many other companies, they have sacrificed quality to increase profits. I've had better luck with Carpenter and Speedway. Another problem with Drake is they are out of stock on way too many parts and have to go on back order. And when back orders are coming from Taiwan, you have a problem.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #32
35fordtn

I have Drake's regulators in my 40 coupe. I used the regulator hardware that Roy Nacewicz sells ( his stuff is like original and top notch). On my Drake regulators I did not have this issue. My only issue has been that the Repop 40 Deluxe window cranks dont seem to fit the shaft very well and have a lot of play.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #33
woodiewagon46

We all need to face the fact that people just aren't restoring cars like they were at one time. Bob Drake, like everyone else needs to cut costs, in order to stay in business. If there is a small or limited market Drake is not going to spend thousands for something that is going to sit on a shelf for years. He was basically forced to go "off shore" for his parts. Think about it for a minute, how many people that you know, are restoring a Model T, Model A or a V-8., not many.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #34
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
We all need to face the fact that people just aren't restoring cars like they were at one time. Bob Drake, like everyone else needs to cut costs, in order to stay in business. If there is a small or limited market Drake is not going to spend thousands for something that is going to sit on a shelf for years. He was basically forced to go "off shore" for his parts. Think about it for a minute, how many people that you know, are restoring a Model T, Model A or a V-8., not many.
The above is today's reality. Years ago you would go to a V-8 national meet and see many fresh restorations. In the last few years you see darn few new restorations. Sacramento Vintage Ford is downsizing to a smaller building and we have seen some recently just outright close their doors. Several closings have been talked about right on this site. Not enough new people are entering the hobby and many don't have the disposable income even if they had the interest. The younger person is into the later cars like Mustangs, Camaros, etc. I've been watching the old car market and the antique toy market and prices are "soft" in both areas. Most people in our age category (60 and up) are looking for a finished car they can drive today and not 5 years from now. you can buy them a lot cheaper than you can build them.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #35
Bubsyouruncle

I think that a great deal of what we are dealing with is that the rest of the world is metric and the US, and maybe two or three other countries, are still English system.

And, since ours cars were made "English" back when the world was "English", all of the components were to those standards. Which at the time were the world standard.

While current manufacturers can approximate the english system using metic tools, unless they get down to incredibility tight manufacturing limits, they cannot actually reproduce the "real" part. And if they did that, a five dollar part might cost 25 dollars.

So, we are "hoist on our own petard".

You want accurate reproduction parts? Make them in the USA using our ancient tools and machines. And pay the price. Which will be very high.

IMHO.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #36
Milt/Las Vegas

When I built my 40 coupe,I used a tanks tank.The 3 cage nuts in the tank were 9mm,maybe popular in china,but not existent in the us,so I drilled the cage nuts out and tapped to 5/16.If possible I would tap the mm threads to to match the us threads.