Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2023, 09:58 PM   #1
Lawrie

Default A common sight coming soon

Away in my 28ccpu for the Easter weekend,up to Townsville for a rally(880 klms from home)
Stopped for smoko and my home made biscuits and cake,the servo had enough bowsers to fill 8 vehicles at once, but only two charging stations, one ,out of service,
How this will all work out is anyone’s guess.
But , the A is.humming along 50-52 mph all day, some hot parts (37c) an dsome big rain parts, no leaks inside, needed the front screen open in the hot parts, but there is a trade off for that in increased wind noise,
I had had a small oil leak on the new Burtz engine, but had done a proper fix .on it before leaving home, (machined the housing to take a Viton O ring), it’s now bone dry ,used no oil,is excellent on fuel.
Car travels nice again now after my experiment with el cheapo rear tyres, and having fitted the Firestone’s that I allways ran,
Have 3 days of car type activity over the next few days before heading home on Monday
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1F075E5F-1473-4451-A7D8-90FD4D612B4D.jpg (79.5 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg BFA4186F-2A08-4518-BCED-15CAC5A6EB99.jpg (72.3 KB, 287 views)
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 01:19 AM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: A common sight coming soon

Lawrie, That will make those headlights as bright as the sun. Also explains the no oil leak!
Old 04-07-2023, 01:45 AM   #3
Lawrie

Trade secret the fix
Old 04-07-2023, 06:27 AM   #4
ronn

surprised they let you run that "old thang" over there!

lol
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:17 AM   #5
old31

That's awesome. The Tesla guys must have done a double take.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:32 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
So is it the color of your truck that makes it eligible to be a 'Green Vehicle' over there??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 05:22 PM   #7
Dave Slater

Laurie. I believe there is an adaptor available to plug that black hose into your fuel tank. I just checked the Eckler Website and it only works on Left Hand Drive vehicles and you wouldn’t believe it but they are out of stock !
Dave Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:41 PM   #8
Synchro909

IMO, most people don't realise how soon that will be a common sight. Tesla is building a new factory in Mexico covering 4,200 acres to start with and room to expand. I have heard that they will use a new type of battery (iron salt) and no lithium and that a car will roll off the production line every 10 seconds.
The usual time from start to finish for a new car is about 18 hours. In their China factory, a new Tesla goes from the first assembly point to finished in 2 1/2 hours.
Cost will be about halved and the retail price will be less than a fossil fuelled car. IMO, that will be the end of those.
Indeed, a common sight coming soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n9NJBhKS0M
Old 04-07-2023, 09:50 PM   #9
40 Deluxe

All well and good, but will the electric grid be able to keep up (without major expansion in generating capacity)? The tree huggers will have a conniption fit at the very idea!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:49 PM   #10
AzBob

The electrical grid probably won't even see much of a bobble as more renewables come online such as wind and solar. As a new EV is connected a new renewable source goes online somewhere and balances it out. I don't see the grid as a much of a problem.
AzBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:40 PM   #11
Synchro909

About 2 years ago, we were given a talk at our car club by the owner of a Tesla who had done 200,000 Km in it without ever connecting it to the grid. He used the solar panels on his own roof meaning that he did that distance with no fuel or electricity costs.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:56 AM   #12
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
About 2 years ago, we were given a talk at our car club by the owner of a Tesla who had done 200,000 Km in it without ever connecting it to the grid. He used the solar panels on his own roof meaning that he did that distance with no fuel or electricity costs.
So, he put 200,000 Km on his Tesla and never connected it to the grid. He must have never gone further than 150-200 Km from home, because he had to have enough battery to get home. That’s a lot of short trips! I call B.S.!
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:18 AM   #13
old31

Well, why couldn't some one with a tesla take all shorts trips?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:40 AM   #14
Smokedtires

Sounds like a fun trip Lawrie. Thanks for sharing.
Smokedtires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:28 AM   #15
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Well, why couldn't some one with a tesla take all shorts trips?
They could. It would be 120 Km, 5 days per week for 8 years. Just sounded suspicious to me.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 03:00 PM   #16
Terry, NJ

"Two countries, separated by a common language"! We don't speak Australian here and some of your words have us scratching our heads! Now getting down to more technical matters, are you saying that Burtz is producing an electric motor for an A? Great! Now what were doing for lubricating oils and so forth when they stop pumping the stuff? I've heard that it takes5 to 7 Gallons (US) to make 1 tire ? OH that's right, Uncle Joey will save us! Maybe he'll give some of Hunter's paintings to Russia for some oil. And.... this ain't politics! It's our future and I'm concerned !
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 03:19 PM   #17
stickshift

Great pictures Lawrie, I know you will enjoy your road trip. I'm not looking forward to the future here in Ca. They already charge premium prices for electricity during "peak hours" 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. because people come home from work and use their appliances. What will happen when people go home and charge their Tesla at the same time? We already have the rolling brownouts just from A.C. units during the hot months straining the grid. Now that they installed "smart meters" on all the houses, Mr. Newsom knows when you are using too much juice because it's beamed up to a satellite.
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 01:23 AM   #18
Lawrie

We have had a busy few days here in Townsville,lots of sightseeing, one a trip up the castle hill, a 2-1/2 klm pull in 2nd gear on a hot 32 c day,no drama,
Townsville was a big military base in WW2 and is still home to our military.
We did some fun activities as well, like dropping a tennis ball into a bucket, driving a slalom through witches hands under the directions of the passenger while blind folded.
Today a navigation run around town and out in the country, my A played up a bit,well not really,just a sticky notchy accelerator that made smooth take offs a bit jerky, fixed by some oil.
Our old cars were on display down town where the Main Street was blocked off for the markets,som3 nice cars ,35 packard limozine,straight 8 of 384 ci,,1910 Hubmobile
,a nice little Model Y ford and others,
We are heading home tomorrow,back down to Mackay (400klm) overnight there then home on Tuesday, a further 450 or so.
So far engine has used about 1/8 on the dipstick,no coolant ,and good on fuel.
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EAFB70F2-8D5C-4160-8899-7EB6E6908775.jpg (88.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 959B2BDB-4CD3-49C3-AB6D-61B4F3C5B172.jpg (61.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 37C85B89-6B4D-4B45-8E30-0138B5478E6D.jpg (37.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-09-2023, 03:30 PM   #19
jerrytocci

I would' put that wand near a gas tank. They are dead until plugged in but I would not trust it
jerrytocci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 06:55 PM   #20
Lawrie

Arived home yesterday arvo at around 5-30
Model A went well until getting close to home, when it missed then stopped, so made a coffee and after some investigation found the fuel cap vent was blocked, so just left it loose for the final few hundred Ks.no drama.
engine used about 1/2 litre oil ,but we were hooking along on the last 400ks as on the main hi way and in with the easter traffic, lots of semi,s , but using the UHF made it easier.
One thing ,the difference with the closed cab and the old canvas top open cab , is its noisier with the wind, I think its the sun visor, so, its a good reminder not to go too fast, as the engine is very happy at any speed.
lots of comments from people at rest stops .most think it a model T, mind you , it does look like a Stone Age truck.
Lawrie

Last edited by Lawrie; 04-11-2023 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling