Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2023, 10:06 AM   #1
EZLIFE

Default Removing Model A modern valve guides

I am having trouble removing my worn out “modern” valve guides. I have been soaking them in Troil and hammering on the head of a 5/16” bolt that is inserted inside the guide. I have beat on it extremely hard with a hefty hammer, but it has not moved. Hard enough to wonder if I am mushrooming the top of the guide.
I am afraid to use heat on it because of all the oil that is nearby.
Looking for ideas??????
One idea from the forums was to drill and tap for a 7/16-14 thread and then pull it out with a threaded rod. Anyone ever try this? Or maybe use a long 5/16 inch threaded rod down through the guide with nuts and washers on the bottom and pull up from the top with a coupling nut? Would it break? Something would have to give.
All ideas welcome.
EZLIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:17 AM   #2
40-A Twins

Default Re: Removing Model A modern valve guides

There is a valve guide driver tool that fits an air hammer to push them out.
I purchased # PH-2229-G from Goodson.
https://goodson.com/collections/valv...owered-drivers

Last edited by 40-A Twins; 05-11-2023 at 10:28 AM.
40-A Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:03 PM   #3
Jim Brierley

I made my own driver, and hammered them in and out. The all-thread sounds like a good idea.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:25 PM   #4
EZLIFE

The PH-2229-G tool lists these dimensions .343 x .487 x .337 What is the third dimension? Headed to Harbor Freight to buy an Air Hammer if it will work with this driver.
Old 05-11-2023, 02:58 PM   #5
40-A Twins

I have to confess making a mistake with PH-2229-G . The actual driver I got is stamped Ajax 1123, and a webpage with that part number has a diagram showing diameter for shank, body, and pilot.
https://www.ajaxtools.com/product-1123/
40-A Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:34 AM   #6
EZLIFE

Update: After many phone calls I learned the Ajaz 1123 valve guide driver is no longer available. I had hoped I might find one on a shelf somewhere, but not to be. I have ordered an assortment of old drivers from ebay, I can only hope one of them will work. Also ordered an assortment from Woodward Equipment that also might work. Neither of the orders listed the size of Air Hammers they will fit. We shall see.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:54 PM   #7
Bob C

This is where I got mine. https://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/kl3006.html
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 01:41 PM   #8
EZLIFE

Update:
I finally have the old valve guides out. The winner was an air hammer with the right driver. The Woodward valve guide driver # AD-343 from Cylinder Head Supply, coupled to a Harbor Freight air hammer will drive the guide about ¾ of the way out. I finished it with a long ½” bolt and a hammer. You do need a fairly long driver. The Goodson.com driver #PH-2229-G I found on ebay also worked.

Two interesting comments. 1) I was told the guides were too long to come out through the valve chamber and would have to be cut off with a cold chisel to finish getting them out. In my case this was not true. They were short enough to push right on out. 2) I have ordered new valve guides and valves from Snyder’s and was surprised to see the guides are a new one-piece design made to work like the old 2-piece guides. They insert from the bottom and have a shoulder for the spring to rest on. Sounds good, hope they work out.
Old 05-17-2023, 03:28 PM   #9
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZLIFE View Post
Update:
I finally have the old valve guides out. The winner was an air hammer with the right driver. The Woodward valve guide driver # AD-343 from Cylinder Head Supply, coupled to a Harbor Freight air hammer will drive the guide about ¾ of the way out. I finished it with a long ½” bolt and a hammer. You do need a fairly long driver. The Goodson.com driver #PH-2229-G I found on ebay also worked.

Two interesting comments. 1) I was told the guides were too long to come out through the valve chamber and would have to be cut off with a cold chisel to finish getting them out. In my case this was not true. They were short enough to push right on out. 2) I have ordered new valve guides and valves from Snyder’s and was surprised to see the guides are a new one-piece design made to work like the old 2-piece guides. They insert from the bottom and have a shoulder for the spring to rest on. Sounds good, hope they work out.

Those 1-piece mushroom guides are in use by many many folks, including a lot of engine builders. I haven’t heard anything bad about them.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote