Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
DNLs1930

Default Zenith Carb leak

Long post but may help you help me solve this problem.

I have fuel leaking (draining) out of the carburetor afterstart attempts where it does not start. Almost seems like the intake is somehow feeding pressure into the carb.Fuel does not leak out statically only after a start attempt.

OK so the story is after acquiring my family’s 1930 Model Acoupe I did a quick inventory of things it needed and the fuel system was inthe most obvious need due to an inoperative gas gauge, shutoff valve leak andinterior tank rust (sediment bowl needed cleaned) and a firewall to carb fuelline that was chaffed.

I ran the tank dry (changed the gauge with no issues, theshutoff valve was removed to gain access to the tank low point to help in rustremoval. There was plenty of rust to be removed and this task probably needs tobe revisited with a better plan.

I decided to inspect/clean the fuel shutoff valve and endedup replacing it due to deep scratches in the valve body causing it to leak.

The sediment bowl was full of rust and after reading thisforum decided I better check the carburetor bowl; which was full of rustsediment as well.
I replaced the carburetor gaskets (intake, float bowl (mainbody) and the fuel strainer and drain plug)

I replace the fuel line from the firewall to the carb. Putabout two gallons in the tank checked for leaks, then opened up the shutoffvalve. NO LEAKS!!

I then move the car out of the garage in case it caught onfire and tried to start the car.

The car did not start right away which I anticipated and aftera few attempts noticed fuel coming out of the carburetor.

I watched the start attempt after cleaning up and the gas is“draining” out of the carburetor after a start attempt. It almost seems likethe intake is somehow feeding pressure into the carb blowing the fuel out. Fueldoes not leak out statically only after a start attempt.

After a few attempts (cleaning up gas after each attempt)the ca started and it ran fine. Upon shutdown no fuel drained out of the carb.
Restarted and fuel drained each time it did not start.

Nothing on the carb was adjusted or dismantled only gasketschanged.

THOUGHTS?

DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote