Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2023, 11:37 AM   #21
Flathead Fever

Default Re: Out of ideas and knowledge

Positive ground system.

1. Place your meter leads on the center posts of the battery (not the cable ends) and record the reading.

2. Same thing but with the engine cranking.

3. Place the leads between the positive post of the battery (not the cable) and the starter case and crank the engine. You should see very little voltage.

4. Place the leads on the negative battery post and the starter cable terminal on the starter and crank the engine. You should see very little voltage.

5. Place the leads on the starter terminal and starter case and crank the engine. Since this is the majority of the resistance in the circuit you should see a voltage almost equal to the battery voltage.

Do these tests when the engine is cranking and then again when it is not. Keep the battery charged to so you get accurate voltage readings because it will lose voltage if you perform too many cranking tests. Never crank a starter for more than 15-seconds, they can get so hot it melts the solder connections inside. 15-seconds of cranking "always" followed by a 15-second of cooling off period.

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 04-18-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 01:14 PM   #22
Newc

A warm cable tell you the problem also. Almost like the Chev common problem- bad starters. check your remote solinoid. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 03:38 PM   #23
Fritz

You can find an Optima 6v Red Top battery at your local Advance Auto Parts/Carquest, and probably also at Oreillys or Interstate Battery. You may have to order it through the store, but I know at least Advance carries them.

My experience with modern regular 6 volt batteries is that they stink. Maybe they were always that way, I don’t know.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:18 PM   #24
BlueSpark

I have an Optima 6V on my flathead 8. Finally I have a battery that fits in the original location AND I have never seen the engine turn over so well. I got it at a good used battery shop for half price of new.
BlueSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:18 PM   #25
Eddie Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Besides the ground cable from the battery, what other ground cables do you have on the car?
I have a ground cable from block to frame and one from back of block to firewall .... all are clean, dry and tight.
Eddie Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:23 PM   #26
Eddie Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt v View Post
I would get a 850 cca battery, no paint on starter face and no paint on bell housing for good ground.
I finally found such a beast .... 675 CCA and 830 CA. I pick it up tomorrow, then we'll see what happens.
Old 04-18-2023, 04:31 PM   #27
Eddie Morgan

Smile Re: Out of ideas and knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
You can find an Optima 6v Red Top battery at your local Advance Auto Parts/Carquest, and probably also at Oreillys or Interstate Battery. You may have to order it through the store, but I know at least Advance carries them.

My experience with modern regular 6 volt batteries is that they stink. Maybe they were always that way, I don’t know.
Howdy neighbor !!! **waving** I'm down south of you in Columbia "Muletown"
Old 04-18-2023, 05:03 PM   #28
tubman

I gave up on "exotic" starters and conventional "rebuilts" years ago. I bought a bunch of bushings and brushes on closeout from Rock Auto a while back. My neighbor works on golf carts and has a "growler" that I use to make sure the armatures are good.

In my opinion, a properly rebuilt original starter is your best bet. Also, USA made original type starter drives are the best. The "new design" are a bitch to install.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 05:16 PM   #29
cadillac512

Eddie- you asked what other grounds there should be. If your battery ground cable is attached to the firewall or body, there should also be a ground cable from that attachment point to the engine...typically an intake manifold bolt. Very important.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 05:43 PM   #30
drgoetz

I have read all of the posts on this 6 volt starting problem. I make my own cables from #2 welding cable with used or new ends. I solder these connections.... be that as it may.
Did you check the resister? Sometimes, I have found that to be the root cause OR resistance in the solenoid circuit wires from oxidation.

Gawd, I love these chats ... makes me think !!
drgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 08:17 PM   #31
Eddie Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
Eddie- you asked what other grounds there should be. If your battery ground cable is attached to the firewall or body, there should also be a ground cable from that attachment point to the engine...typically an intake manifold bolt. Very important.

Terry
As of now, my battery POS cable goes to the block. I have a ground cable from block to frame on driver's side and from the back of the block to the firewall.
Old 04-18-2023, 08:21 PM   #32
Eddie Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoetz View Post
I have read all of the posts on this 6 volt starting problem. I make my own cables from #2 welding cable with used or new ends. I solder these connections.... be that as it may.
Did you check the resister? Sometimes, I have found that to be the root cause OR resistance in the solenoid circuit wires from oxidation.

Gawd, I love these chats ... makes me think !!
My cables are 00 cable, new .... the coil I installed requires no resistor .... I've check my solenoid with a multimeter and get good readings. The only place I can't (won't) get is under the car to test starter with multimeter. I have to work on it in the driveway, so I ain't gonna squeeze under it and crank it !!! LOL
Old 04-18-2023, 08:30 PM   #33
Rich-CO

Ed——-Try a new starter button.
Rich
Rich-CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 11:17 PM   #34
deuce_roadster

If it were my car doing that, I would check and make sure ALL grounds were clean and tight. Worn contacts in the solenoid can do that too. Back in the 1980s I chased my tail for a week when I had a similar problem. New battery, cables, starter etc. Finally a neighbor, old machinist came over and took the caps off the new battery and had me try to start the car. In about 10 seconds, he said "There is your problem" and had me watch as he turned the key. One cell immediately started bubbling profusely. Shorted cell. One of my first lessons of "New does not necessarily equal Good"
Keep at it, you will find the problem and hopefully let us know what it was.
Good luck.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 12:07 AM   #35
jeepguy1948

I would agree completely that just because it’s new doesn’t mean much these days and I suspect that your battery is no good (I have no idea how they do it but Optima battery’s seem to have a little higher voltage and they crank like hell). You can also disconnect the cable to the starter and try a 12 volt battery for the starter only to see how that cranks it. There have been some really good suggestions here and i think that the voltage drop test is an important one to do ( I still think your battery is the problem though)
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 10:20 AM   #36
jeepguy1948

I have one of those cases that make the optima look like an original Ford battery, works great.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 12:59 PM   #37
patrickdee

Last year I found a 6 volt battery with 700 CCA at tractor supply co for around $100 bucks. At about the same time I was having a similar starting problem. Turns out that the recently rebuilt starter was junk. Slow to turn over. I was able to find a replacement rebuilt at Napa. Starting issue resolved. Keep at it.
patrickdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:30 PM   #38
Fritz

Hey new neighbor, when we moved we actually looked at a couple houses in Columbia, “the New Franklin.”

But back to the battery, I agree 575 CCA is way too little for a flathead v8. At the very least, try that 700 CCA battery from tractor supply. I really recommend the Optima though.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Old 04-19-2023, 01:32 PM   #39
Fritz

And if you think the starter is the problem, call Third Gen back. He doesn’t like selling junk.