Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
popcorn-guy

Default ezsteer

Any one have any experience with the "ezsteer" steering box made by a John Kovar? I would like any input from those familiar with it and their impressions of its' performance & feel.

Thank you for your consideration.
popcorn-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: ezsteer

Here is a thread about the unit;

EZ STEER
Old 09-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
johnsor

I sent away for their brochure. It looks like a very good product, however for $830. ($800. + $30. shipping) its just too expensive for the ratio gain. I'm going to order a 2 tooth rebuild kit for less than $150. and it will last another 80 years.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
popcorn-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Here is a thread about the unit;

EZ STEER
Read the above thread, but it doesn't seem to be referring to what is being sold today. I wonder if these were earlier 56 Ford F100 boxes that had been converted?

Oops, I just went back and took a look at the post dates. Am still wondering if some of it refers to earlier boxes that may have been conversions of older F100 boxes? Reading the web page it seems that all the parts are new and the use of needle brg's would make a huge difference imho and the ratio changed from 11:1 to 18:1 would certainly add leverage to ones application of steering force.

Last edited by popcorn-guy; 09-22-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: checking my information.
popcorn-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
John LaVoy

In the next issue of the Model A Times we review the EZ Steer box. We installed it in the roadster and have let many people drive the car, everyone seems to like it.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
MikeK

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I looked at it at the French Lick convention. When I played with the one on display, it was alarmingly loose, I could turn the input with two fingers and feel a tiny bit of lash. A new box should be tighter than that.

The box uses a stock later F-1 style gear and sector. Setup of these gears new should show some drag across the center position. This box had none. I asked about adjustment an discovered there is NO external way to take up slack. The answer was "It comes adjusted, you touch nothing. If you open it the warranty is void." The scary part was the next statement: "Keep the shipping box just in case."

Why would I pay $800 for a box that I cannot take the play out of, especially one that will surely loosen after a few thousand miles of break in wear? I will be interested in seeing if Model A times addresses the lack of adjustment issue. Perhaps I missed something? The increased numerical ratio will exaggerate any existing play in the suspension/ steering linkage, the last thing I need is a box with built in non-adjustable slop of its own.

With my Gemmer box, or with an F-1 or F100 box, there are ways to adjust the preload on the taper rollers for the worm, and the mesh of the sector. With this box the instructions are 'don't touch or else. . .'
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote