Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Joop

Question No Title only Registration papers

I am looking at buying a car that was never titled before.

It only has 1957/1958 registration papers from Connecticut but also a 1975 window sticker from Massachusetts (so must have been registered there at some time).

What to do to get a title on it.

UPDATE

After lots of emails with a very nice person at the Registry in Mass. I have now my new registration and Title is on the way.

Thanks for all the info on this site. Joop

Last edited by Joop; 06-23-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
2manycars

Default Re: No Title only Registration papers

Since Connecticut does not title cars built before 1981, other states must accept a copy of the registration, and a bill of sale from the person listed on the registration. If you can get a signature to match the registration, you are covered. I can mail you an official CT bill of sale form, or you can download it from the CT DMV web site. Scrape the MA sticker off.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
1931 flamingo

I may be wrong, but back in '61 I'm pretty sure I got a title when I registered my '32 coupe in CT.
paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
5window

The FordBarn and HAMB world is rife with tales of woe from folks buying cars and then struggling to get a title. It's really sad reading some of them. I would suggest you have the SELLER get a title for the car first, then you buy it, agreeing to pay the titling fees, and then transfer the title to you. If the car can't be titled, then you don't buy it.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
5window

It also looks like you need some additional forms and proof of continuity of ownership. I copied this from the CT DMV site-and here's the link,too.

I have purchased an older vehicle in Connecticut, but the seller does not have a title. He says that the vehicle does not require a title. How do I register the vehicle?

The State of Connecticut no longer requires title certificates for vehicles manufactured prior to 1981. In order for you to register the vehicle, you must have a Supplemental Assignment of Ownership (Q-1 form) and a copy of the last registration certificate. You must show continuity of ownership from the last registered owner to you.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=801&Q=244524&dmvPNavCtr=|#30280

PS. Took 0.31 seconds on Google. I like Google
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Aerocraft

I suggest that you go to the MA DMV and talk with them. Since CT does not have a title for early cars, I assume that the MA DMV is quite familiar with what is required. For example, I brought a NY registered (no Title) Model A into IL and the IL DMV recognized what NY issued and the IL people accepted what I had. It was not an issue. I do also suggest that the VIN number on the registration must match the VIN number on the car. A bill of sale is also a very good idea. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
Steve Ciccalone

Joop, CT is a non-title state but MA will accept the registration. NH is a non-title state like CT for vehicles over 15 years in age. I've registered antique vehicles in NH and then sold them to MA residents and they've been able to register them there. Don't know if MA will issue a title but they will accept the pink slip.

NH or CT will not give a new owner a title unless one is turned in. I just registered and applied for titles on three cars this a.m. that had out of state titles.

Even if you live in a non-title state, don't let the local DMV talk you into skipping a title if you have one to turn in. Its not worth saving the title fee angd getting one will make selling the vehicle more attractive down the road.
Steve Ciccalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
SteveM

Just remember, they may want to see the VIN and may not accept the engine number!

Steve
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Jason in TX

Sent you a message...
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
Dean Borchert

I am having severe titling problems in Arizona. I built a car from scratch over 5 years, using all bought or made parts (A stupid thing I now know....). Their options for me:

1. Get recipts for all major parts and they will title it...as a 2010 car. Subject to all emissions, catyalitic converters and PCV items being installed.

2. Go through a bonded title routine, which almost needs a lawyer to do.

3. Buy an "Historical" document and stamp the frame with the new number. Then swear an oath that I bought it that way. (NOTE: They will not honor any document dated more than 1 year old.) Which limits most all old titles.....

I am to the point of selling it all off as parts and quitting. Aint life grand.
Dean Borchert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
Joop

Update.

After lots of emails with a very nice person at the Registry in Mass. I have now my new registration and the Title is on the way.

Thanks for all the info on this site. Joop
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Borchert View Post
I am having severe titling problems in Arizona. I built a car from scratch over 5 years, using all bought or made parts (A stupid thing I now know....). Their options for me:

1. Get recipts for all major parts and they will title it...as a 2010 car. Subject to all emissions, catyalitic converters and PCV items being installed.

2. Go through a bonded title routine, which almost needs a lawyer to do.

3. Buy an "Historical" document and stamp the frame with the new number. Then swear an oath that I bought it that way. (NOTE: They will not honor any document dated more than 1 year old.) Which limits most all old titles.....

I am to the point of selling it all off as parts and quitting. Aint life grand.
All you need is a friend in a State that is really liberal like Michigan where all you do is fill out one piece of paperwork that states the "vin" number from the car and that you "lost" the title. Took me less then 60 seconds at the local DMV to obtain a title for a car that I bought two years ago without a title. Your "friend" gets the title in his name then signs the title over to you. Easy, breezy, we do it in Michigan all the time.