Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2022, 09:48 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default 4th gear, it's allright

Had a loooong day at work today and tonight is my bachelor night when my wife works a 24 hour eldercare shift. I have never driven my current project, a 46 tonner with an H six on the paved road. Sure, it isn't really ready for the open road, but it's off-season around here and I remember the hand signals from driver's ed, so thought I would go through the gears on our rural roads. Lots of mud on our gravel, and even the county road pretty wet, but sometimes a guy just has to see what he's got after a winter of wrenching. Anyway, it was a really fun drive. But now I've got the chickens in and the other animals fed so it's back to the project. I received a one wire alternator from UPS the other day so looking like a fabricated alternator bracket for a six tonight. Here's some pics from my ride. Oh, and 4th gear at about 45 was excellent by the way.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4th gear 1.jpg (150.4 KB, 476 views)
File Type: jpg 4th gear 2.jpg (173.1 KB, 485 views)
File Type: jpg 4th gear 3.jpg (98.7 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg 4th gear 4.jpg (107.4 KB, 471 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:53 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: 4th gear, it's allright

Way to go. I enjoy your posts very much. Keep 'em coming.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:55 PM   #3
51504bat

Looking good.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:04 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Those michelin radial 7.50 x 17 recaps are the embodiment of the term 'pizza cutters' it steers with almost no effort whatsoever.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-23-2022, 11:53 PM   #5
cas3

Those first drives are big fun, makes a guy feel like you got something accomplished. I used to have the ultimate test drive run here, an old time country store with a gas pump, some grocery's, a burger grill, and beer. 10 miles of paved road with more cows than cars, license plates, hoods, fenders, heck, even insurance was optional. Sadly, the owners retired and the buyer ran it into the ground. Geez, I miss that place, they are disappearing here in the USA. Good story's GB, keep up the good work for our entertainment !
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:59 PM   #6
cas3

Also, the Beach Boys "Little honda" song was "2nd gear, its alright" if I remember correctly, but I can see an old Ford guy getting excited with more than 3 gears !
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:03 AM   #7
petehoovie

I remember the hand signals from driver's ed, so thought I would go through the gears on our rural roads....Lots of mud on our gravel, and even the county road pretty wet, but sometimes a guy just has to see what he's got after a winter of wrenching.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:15 AM   #8
GB SISSON

If I can muster up the effort I'll go down and get a pic of my alternator bracket. 'Fabbed' hell, I just turned the generator bracket around backwards and it lined up just right with the same belt.. Then I found some old slotted alternator swing arm thing in my 'brackets' drawer and with a slight bend I was puttin' out an honest 14.2 volts into my battery, and someday into my headlights if I take this jalopy that far.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:46 AM   #9
GB SISSON

I think it may have been '4th gear, hold on tight'. , but was fine in this thing. So here's the alternator setup. Seriously, the long generator mount when turned upside down was perfect. I did not use a single shim or washer (I certainly would have, if needed) and it was just one of those rare things the just worked out. OK it is well past my bed time. Catch you guys on the flip side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alternator 12v 1.jpg (122.6 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg alternator 12v 2.jpg (139.6 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg alternator 12v 3.jpg (153.0 KB, 419 views)
Old 03-24-2022, 12:54 AM   #10
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I think it may have been '4th gear, hold on tight'. , but was fine in this thing. So here's the alternator setup. Seriously, the long generator mount when turned upside down was perfect. I did not use a single shim or washer (I certainly would have, if needed) and it was just one of those rare things the just worked out. OK it is well past my bed time. Catch you guys on the flip side.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:47 AM   #11
mfirth

Thanks for sharing G B ! Love this kind of stuff. Keep on "truck'n" .......
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:46 AM   #12
sugarmaker

GB,
Awesome first ride doicumentation! yea "4th gear hold on tight" Sounds right!
is that road dirt on the door from the front open wheels? The truck is really looking good!
You will get the lights and more on it soon! You sure used this past winter well to get the project this far.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:55 AM   #13
kurt v

You should run a all thread rod through to the back of the bracket to keep the alt from tipping.
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:09 AM   #14
flathead4rd

I like the running board. It's the real thing.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:30 AM   #15
pistonbroke

GB, your photos give a real definition to the word running board. Love the tonner but I have a question, is that bed longer then the half ton? I had my 42 half ton Military an it had the center stake pockets. I've never seen them since until your post. I thought it was a military thing. You got me to wondering. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:25 AM   #16
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt v View Post
You should run a all thread rod through to the back of the bracket to keep the alt from tipping.
I get that for sure and it's a good idea, but I was thinking of welding a tab with a hole in it just behind the alternator and the bolt would squeeze the alternator between the two tabs. Yours is easier though and it stays mounted and done also provides factory alignment. Thanks! And thanks Pete for the photo work and the rest of you for your positive comments.

Yes, it's gravel road spray from the open front wheels. I just though it was an artistic look. On my drive I encountered two oncoming cars, 'strangers' on our one lane road. Then on the other side of the two lane county paved road is a series of gravel roads serving a waterfront community. While passing through there I encountered two different people walking their dogs. Both of them pulled their leashes up tight and they didn't wave back or smile. I was doing about ten mph.

Running boards.... I have the correct long running boards but they need some work. Lokks like some grafting off of some 1/2 ton beater running boards. The 2x10s are temporary so I can get into the cab. Some years back I made some pretty accurate looking running boards for my 122" tonner panel truck, and I may do that again if there is too much patching required. The tonner has a 122" wb while the half ton has 114" wb. The bed is 8' long and deeper than the half ton.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:32 PM   #17
Kube

GB, All I can really say is "COOL"!!!!
Old 03-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #18
deuce_roadster

Gary, that old girl looks really solid. I too have put straps on a core support to make a "test drive"! Not too many cops out where I live either! Say HI to Raven for me.
Mike
P.S. Can you hear the booms there on Orcas?
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #19
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Gary, that old girl looks really solid. I too have put straps on a core support to make a "test drive"! Not too many cops out where I live either! Say HI to Raven for me.
Mike
P.S. Can you hear the booms there on Orcas?
I have not heard the booms personally as we live on the East side of the island, but I know many folks who have. Apparently someone has been setting off improvised explosive devices at random locations, usually around 4am and typically in uninhabited areas.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:14 PM   #20
ms fowler

Congrats on a FIRST DRIVE-- I envy you, and maybe that will be me and my friend in a few months--before the weather turns cold again.

Guys--you can actually do a search on the interweb and see the real lyrics---
there is no 4th gear! I didn't trust my memory, either.

Here they are:
First gear (Honda Honda) it's alright (faster faster)
Second gear (little Honda Honda) I lean right (faster faster)
Third gear (Honda Honda) hang on tight (faster faster)
Faster it's alright
ms fowler is offline   Reply With Quote