Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Charles Reese

Default Schrader 888 tire valve

What is the thread size (ID) of the Schrader 888 valve stem? I had a set of 5 originals nickel plated and now there is a slow leak in 2 of them (they held fine before plating). I assume this is the result of the threads of the internal valve gizmo not seating properly on the new plating. Thought I would chase the internal threads and see it that helps. The internal gizmos are new so that could be a source of problem as well but was afraid the originals would have dry rotted.

Last edited by Charles Reese; 09-22-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
George Miller

Default Re: Schrader 888 tire valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reese View Post
What is the thread size (ID) of the Schrader 888 valve stem? I had a set of 5 originals nickel plated and now there is a slow leak (they held fine before plating). I assume this is the result of the threads of the internal valve gizmo not seating properly on the new plating. Thought I would chase the internal threads and see it that helps. The internal gizmos are new so that could be a source of problem as well but was afraid the originals would have dry rotted.
I worked for Schrader, but we were in the cylinder division. I think tire valves were not standard threads. You can by a little tool that will clean the threads and redo the seat. I think the seat is the problem. Check at a parts store or tire store.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote