Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
ole_Bill

Default Making horns blow

Got the two horns on my '36 sedan and wired. They squak for an instant when the button is pressed but do not blow. I suspect this is a grounding problem but the horns are wired correctly and screwed directly to the chassis on a clean ground. With two wires on the horn, presumably one hot and one ground, what do I need to do to get the horns to blow? BTW, both were bench tested and were fine.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Making horns blow

I'd recommend using a relay activated by your horn switch if you haven't done so already.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

here is a wiring diagram, hope it helps..

jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

Why is a relay needed ,never came with one from the factory?? ken ct. I have no relay on my 36 and thave been working for 25 yrs?
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Kurt in NJ

The horn button makes the ground through the center contact in the light switch, if you take off the light switch and ground that contact ---if the horns work then you have a problem in the horn button-light rod, possibly a rusted spring under the button.
If that doesn't make a change you need to ground the horn at the horn connection.

I think the colors of the original wiring --yellow/green is from battery, and the blue/yellow goes to the horn contact (grounded to honk)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Jack E/NJ

ken ct>>>I have no relay on my 36 and thave been working for 25 yrs? >>>

I guess you don't beep your horn too much, eh Ken? 8^) Relays save wear & tear on horn switch and are usually cheaper, easier to replace than the switch. I've seen some 30s and 40s horn setups come with and without them. If a horn switch fails to deliver full current to properly activate the horns, a new relay can often solve the problem.

Jack E/NJ
Old 08-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
36Bill

Power goes to the horns so you can open them up, 1 screw on top, and find the power lead and then ground the other. If it beeps you have a ground problem. If it doesn't and you have power to the horn then you have a horn problem. I was able to clean the contacts and readjust the horn and get it working again. My horn pulls about 3 amps so I don't use a relay.

Bill
36Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #8
Terry,OH

It sounds as if your horns have power to them and your horn button is working, otherwise nothing would happen, but yours made some noise. The problem then is the horns them self, here is how they work. when power is applied to the horn through the horn button, the power passes through a closed electrical contact and then to a coil picking the coil up. When the coil picks up it mechanically moves the horn diaphragm and at the same time the electrical contact opens circuit causing the coil to drop out, when the coil drops out the contact closes again and the cycle repeats itself over and over very quickly. The result is the sound of the horn for as long as you apply the horn button. If the electrical contact is dirty and not closing properly the horns will not sound, if the contact does not open mechanically you may hear a slight noise and then nothing but the electrical circuit is energized and damage to any of it's components could happen.
Remove a horn and take the horn cover off and inspect the electrical contact and make sure they are closed and dirt and rust free could spray with an electrical cleaner), then with your hand squeeze the flat rectangular pole piece that is laminated down toward the electrical coil, watch the electrical contact as you depress the pole piece you should be able to see it just open. Most of the time the problem lies with dirt and loose rust around the electrical contact causing it not to close, or around the pole piece preventing it from moving fully. You can ignore the one other electrical device it is a capacitor soldered across the contact to eliminate arcing when the contacts open. You will be able to see adjustments that can be moved slightly (1/16 of a turn) adjusting the point the contacts open and close, and these adjustments also effect the horn tone and volume, get the horn to work first then adjust if necessary.
If your going to take the contact apart to clean make sure it is closed and opens properly before trying electrically.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:21 AM   #9
31chevy

A womans non metallic nail file works well on the points.
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Mart

If working on the horns, it's worth temporarily stuffing some rag up the trumpets, the noise can get very wearing in close quarters when troubleshooting.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Jack E/NJ

ole Bill said earlier>>>BTW, both were bench tested and were fine.>>>

Jack E/NJ