Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
OHV DeLuxe

Default Weidenhoff distributor machine.

I just picked this up from one of my dads old friends who`s 80 and wants to clean out his old shop he started in 1952, and i`ve made a deal on most of the important stuff.
He bought this as his first dist machine and used it up to around 1962, when he upgraded. It is no doubt prewar, and something tells me around late 20`s early 30`s.
He beleives he has the litterature for it somewhere but it`s been 50 years so..
It is very neat and i need any info i can get on it.
Any others on here who`s into old machines like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Martin 006.jpg (34.4 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg Martin 007.jpg (59.0 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg Martin 009.jpg (42.6 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Martin 011.jpg (41.9 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg Martin 012.jpg (71.7 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Martin 008.jpg (82.8 KB, 215 views)
OHV DeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Mountain Dew

Default Re: Weidenhoff distributor machine.

Neat Contraption. How is it used?
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Nice score. I like old machines like that. I think it would be neat to set up an antique shop, complete with a line shaft run by an antique motor.

BTW, I'm still looking for bits to fit my old Weidenhoff generator/starter pole shoe remover.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Chris Haynes

I have a Weidenhoff Starter/Generator/Magneto machine. I have never seen another like it or been able to find any literature on how to operate it.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
OHV DeLuxe

The Distributor is held by its pilot diameter by the clamp on the stand behind it, the distributor is driven by its drive by the chuck and i can run the distributor in all kinds of speeds shown by the tachometer, with a slider speed adjuster and even a below idle slow button on the right, There is also a switch for rotation direction.
The spark will go between the pointer directly down to the 360 degree scale under it. Allowing you to mark the scale with a mild marker and measure cam angle (charge time), cam symmetry and advance at different speeds.
From what I understand there is an internal coil and also condensers, so hooking it up should be easy. I will change some wires before I plug it into the wall and try it on a known good distributor.
The small base under the degree plate is cast or forged into one piece and holds gear oil for the small angle gears inside.
I need to dive into this machine one of these days and get it working.
OHV DeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
Hoop

Your distributor machine is the earliest motorized one I have seen. Similar in purpose to the later well-known Sun machines, it's value in setting up Model A distributors may not be as great as with the V8's.

One key ability of these machines is in checking/adjusting/modifying the advance of distributors that automatically regulate the spark advance. The advance can be checked at various rpm's to provide the desired performance.

Another function that is normally built into the later machines is a dwell meter. I cannot tell if your machine includes that. Appears not. Adjusting the dwell more accurately with a mechanical distributor becomes more critical with more cylinders. With more cylinders to fire in a 360 degree rotation, the coil saturation time must be managed better.

Very nice machine. A prize. Thanks for posting it.

(Here is a YouTube video of a later model Sun)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kf9i...eature=related

And another older Weidenhoff:

Last edited by Hoop; 02-06-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added video
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Chris Haynes

Weidenhoff became Sun.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Weidenhoff became Sun.
I didn't know that. Any idea if it was a merger, or was it a rename? And do you know when it happened? Thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I didn't know that. Any idea if it was a merger, or was it a rename? And do you know when it happened? Thanks

I can't give you the exact history. I learned that when I toured the Snap-on Tool Company in Milwaukee back in the '90's. Snap-on also owns Sun.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...otive-industry
Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
ctlikon0712

I love vintage shop equipment! A while ago I posted a question about a piece of equipment that I have. It’s a Simpson model GRT, Generator Regulator Tester. I don't have a pic because I'm out of the country, but it is speckled black and white with Red lettering for the moniker and other labels. It does not have a 110 plug. My question is, would any of you gentlemen know how to get an owner’s manual and or how to use it? Here is the link to my previous thread and the responses I got that didn’t yield anything.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40853
ctlikon0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
Eightdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Your distributor machine is the earliest motorized one I have seen. Similar in purpose to the later well-known Sun machines, it's value in setting up Model A distributors may not be as great as with the V8's.

One key ability of these machines is in checking/adjusting/modifying the advance of distributors that automatically regulate the spark advance. The advance can be checked at various rpm's to provide the desired performance.

Another function that is normally built into the later machines is a dwell meter. I cannot tell if your machine includes that. Appears not. Adjusting the dwell more accurately with a mechanical distributor becomes more critical with more cylinders. With more cylinders to fire in a 360 degree rotation, the coil saturation time must be managed better.

Very nice machine. A prize. Thanks for posting it.

(Here is a YouTube video of a later model Sun)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kf9i...eature=related

And another older Weidenhoff:

I have the exact same distributor machine in good working order. I used it for over 20 years working as an auto mechanic when I was very young. I eventually became a heavy equipment mechanic and millwright, but I kept the distributor machine and the extra fluorescent bulbs that illuminate to give you the degrees of dwell for each cylinder. As the bulbs spin they turn off and on as the points make and break which indicates the individual dwell degrees of each cylinder. If you have a worn distributor lobe, the machine will show fewer degrees on than the other lobes. It will also show point bounce as it has a tachometer adjustment so you can verify at what RPM's the points start to bounce. You also do NOT use the condenser when adjusting the dwell, as it will give you an erroneous reading.

When the Chrysler wedge engines were popular I used it to do tune ups because it was easier to pull the distributor than try to work on it on the engine. It would only go back in one of two positions because the gear drive was on the oil pump so it was very easy to remove and install. The distributor machine also allowed you to set the individual points correctly on dual point systems as you could block one set of points and set the other. I also used it for shaving mechanical advance weights for racing engines. Until the introduction of the electronic ignition systems (pointless) the machine was a regular part of my shop equipment and used frequently. Basically the operation of the machine is very simple and straightforward.
Eightdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Eightdogs, if you spray that machine with WD-40 and wipe it off with a soft cloth it will make a big improvement. I haven't seen any distributor machines at swap meets for the past few years.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
rogerkb1936

here is a nice old weidenhoff mica undercutter. $25 at a swap meet, in great condition. repainted original color, new cord, new belt, works great. this thing is a work of art. lot of machinery just to cut mica.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0302.JPG (141.3 KB, 123 views)
rogerkb1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
Fullraceflathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkb1936 View Post
here is a nice old weidenhoff mica undercutter. $25 at a swap meet, in great condition. repainted original color, new cord, new belt, works great. this thing is a work of art. lot of machinery just to cut mica.
That's really nice!
I'd Love to have for Mica clean up repairs.
I have a Sun Growler.
Great Find even at Triple the price you paid!
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #15
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkb1936 View Post
It is a lathe. It also turns the surface of the armature.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
rogerkb1936

no, it is not also a lathe. wish it was.
rogerkb1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:15 AM   #17
KR500

Actually Jos. Weidenhoff co. was purchased by Bowser Co. after WWII in Algona, Ia. Weidenhoff name was kept and they operated in Chicago on Roosevelt road ( building still stands today) and in Algona, Ia. Snap on purchased Weidenhoff in the 1950's. Weidenhoff was and still is for the older stuff the Cadillac of test equipment. Their old magnet chargers are sought by Model T Ford boys for recharging magnets and on the internet command big dollars. The 701 Weidenhoff growler is exceptional and makes many tests on armatures. The featured early synchrograph or distributor tester is from 1920's. No ability to test any sort of vacuum advance tests or vacuum brake on V-8 distributors. The Sun distributor machines could be had 15 years ago for reasonable money, not so much now. Prices are almost unrealistic on EBay. The 1950's up to 1960 always required a 6 volt battery in back for ignition power and 2 D cell batteries to powerup dwell meter. When the 12 volt versions came out a battery charger was included to keep rear battery charged. It is best to purchase a 500 series or 600 series machine as the rear battery was eliminated. You can also find an adapter to test electronic distributors.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #18
KR500

Tom, Tried to send you a PM, but your mail box is full. Wow you are popular.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR500 View Post
Tom, Tried to send you a PM, but your mail box is full. Wow you are popular.
Not really. Just haven't gotten around to empty out some messages not needed. I have saved several for information.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #20
KR500

Tom, I also have a Weidenhoff pole shoe scre remover/replacer but didn't get the ratchet with it. If you give me the physical rectangular dimensions of the holder I can machine some up out of A-2 tool steel and heat treat them. Then I can grind either the screw slot width or square head shape on the bits. Let me know.