Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
Ricks56

Default Correct fuel sending unit found for 1956

After a lot of research, and much misinformation found, I finally found a fuel sending unit that works with my '56 Fairlane with a stock bi-metallic gauge. Dennis Carpenter has the correct one, Part # B6A-9275.

It is listed for '56 only; the paperwork that came with it says 1936-1955 Ford/Mercury cars, p/u trucks and 55 T Bird. It also says for a 6 or 12 volt system.

It is a rheostat type as opposed to the original bi-metallic strip unit. The ohms are 75 ohms full, 760 ohms empty. There is a float arm cutting chart in the paper work. This unit is very accurate at both full and near empty in my Fairlane. The gauge moves quite slowly to full (because of the bi-metallic gauge. I ran the tank down below 1/4 on the gauge and it took 11.4 gallons to fill it. The gauge now reads just a hair over full.

When I first got the car, the gas gauge was pegged when full and I ran out of gas at 1/2 on the gauge. The sending unit that was in the car was 33 ohms full and about 230 ohms empty. By trying various resistors, I determined that the gauge needed to have somewhere around 70-700 ohm range to be correct. Lucky for me, Dennis Carpenter listed the ohms range for their senders; a lot of vendors do not.

Hope this will help someone with sender problems in their Ford!

-Rick
Ricks56 is offline   Reply With Quote