Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default Only 2 out of 4 bangin'

I've been working my model a trying the get it running better and it appears that I'm getting no bang in cylinders 3 and 4. I'm getting a very erratic vacuum reading at about 16 inches so thought perhaps a stuck valve. All valves are working freely, I have good spark, timing is right on, and with the "thumb" test, I have good compression (I will get real numbers when my adapter for my compression gauge arrives). Disable cylinders 3 or 4, no change, disable 1 or 2, change. The erratic vacuum reading would suggest that I'm losing cylinder seal someplace but I don't think it would be enough to prevent ignition??. Anything else I should check while waiting on my compression tester adaptor?.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
George Miller

Default Re: Only 2 out of 4 bangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
I've been working my model a trying the get it running better and it appears that I'm getting no bang in cylinders 3 and 4. I'm getting a very erratic vacuum reading at about 16 inches so thought perhaps a stuck valve. All valves are working freely, I have good spark, timing is right on, and with the "thumb" test, I have good compression (I will get real numbers when my adapter for my compression gauge arrives). Disable cylinders 3 or 4, no change, disable 1 or 2, change. The erratic vacuum reading would suggest that I'm losing cylinder seal someplace but I don't think it would be enough to prevent ignition??. Anything else I should check while waiting on my compression tester adaptor?.
Intake manifold leak at the rear port.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
JDupuis

Distributor body may have an internal short at #3 and #4.
They will spark, but they spark 3 +4 in unison. Causing no change when you manually short them out. Put an ohms tester on 3+4 to see if they are shorting.
Jeff
JDupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
Intake manifold leak at the rear port.
We have a BINGO. Thanks George. Pulled the manifold and it's broken where it bolts to the block. I would have never thought to look there.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #5
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDupuis View Post
Distributor body may have an internal short at #3 and #4.
They will spark, but they spark 3 +4 in unison. Causing no change when you manually short them out. Put an ohms tester on 3+4 to see if they are shorting.
Jeff
Thanks for the reply Jeff. It turned out to be a broken intake but I appreciate the reply and it's another piece of "knowledge" to tuck away for future reference.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
George Miller

Glad you found it.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Easy find and fix, but remember that a SLOW to CLOSE valve can show compression, but not close quickly enough to give compression on a running engine. This is where a vacuum gauge comes in handy.

If you ever have a sticking valve, the first thing I'd try is a can of SEA-FOAM in the oil, and another can in the gas. It sure did the trick for me with a sticking hydraulic lifter that rattled. Within 5 miles, the engine was running like new.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #8
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
We have a BINGO. Thanks George. Pulled the manifold and it's broken where it bolts to the block. I would have never thought to look there.
It makes it easy when you give all the facts. Good job on your part.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #9
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Easy find and fix, but remember that a SLOW to CLOSE valve can show compression, but not close quickly enough to give compression on a running engine. This is where a vacuum gauge comes in handy.

If you ever have a sticking valve, the first thing I'd try is a can of SEA-FOAM in the oil, and another can in the gas. It sure did the trick for me with a sticking hydraulic lifter that rattled. Within 5 miles, the engine was running like new.
I checked all of the valves with a ore scope through the sparkplug hole while turning it over with the crank and they all appeared to moved quite freely. I appreciate the heads up about seafoam. Wouldn't hurt to keep some on hand. Thanks
Old 10-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #10
100IH

Most times that an intake is broken, it's because the heavy washers were on backwards. The dome of the washer must go on the outer side where the nut will contact it, when on wrong, the dome acts as a wedge to spread the ears of the casting. Renove the manifolds as a pair and check to see if there alignment rings. The exhaust manifold is prone to warp so intake and exhaust are no longer dead flat at the gasket surface. The bottom edge of the ports of both manifolds must also be in alignment "in a straight line" to match the block ports. Also, the exhaust will distort where it joins with the downpipe to the muffler, making a good seal difficult. All can be addressed by replacing both manifolds,gaskets and rings. Here is an opportunity to solve many common Model A problems in one hour. Now might be the time, fortunately the reproduction parts are finally excellent pieces if gotten from the major suppliers.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
Most times that an intake is broken, it's because the heavy washers were on backwards.
Yup, I had them on the other way because that is how they came off. Should have looked it up rather than assuming that they were i the right way initially. So, I welded up the intake just as a test and am getting 22-23 inches of vacuum and, while not as steady as i would like, a LOT more steady than before. I have an exhaust leak now as the #4 exhaust wont seal but that is just because the welded intake is obviously not quite straight and is preventing the exhaust from sealing. No big deal as I will be relpacing the intake as ASAP anyway.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #12
100IH

Worth a try but often each manifold will have it's own plane vertically. Surfacing can even them up against the block but your left with different heights than the ports on the block and issues mating with the muffler. without the rings , further warping will likely continue. Many ignition and carburation side tracks later, another manifold gasket will be needed. Use a straight edge to determine what your up against. A new pair will be perfectly matched.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote