Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
41panelmark

Default Engine in, almost there.

Well making some progress. Got the new engine in the T. Still have some small things to do but getting closer. Should be fun getting it started since it is a Mag only T and new engines can be tight until break in. I was smart and had a ring put on the flywheel and a starter hogs head just in case I need to go that route down the road. More photos later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eng 1 (600x800).jpg (46.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg eng 2 (600x800).jpg (53.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg eng 3 (600x800).jpg (43.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg eng 4 (600x800).jpg (48.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg eng 5 (600x800).jpg (48.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg eng 6 (600x800).jpg (51.7 KB, 76 views)
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
39portlander

Default Re: Engine in, almost there.

looks good, nice before and after pictures. Working to get my valves done and fire up my 26 Fordor for my first time running after a very long siesta. Not a new rebuild and hoping things when operating do not point in that direction yet.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
41panelmark

Ok, in and done. Just waiting on some small stuff. Hope to try to start it next weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg in 1 (800x600).jpg (302.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg in 2 (800x600).jpg (292.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by 41panelmark; 09-24-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: forgot photos
Old 09-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #4
Royce P

Looks nice. For crank start T's I usually pull fresh engines around in high gear with the spark plugs removed and oil squirted in each cylinder. About ten minutes of that and then put the plugs back in and it should crank easily.

Here's a video of me pulling a friend around doing exactly that. We later installed the radiator when it was ready to start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwxjcxwhtfU
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
41panelmark

Thanks for the information Royce, we planned on pulling it around to get it started but I will incorporate your ideas as well. Anything to make it easier. I am told that I will have to drive it a bunch of miles to get it to the point where i can start it on the mag.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
hammerless-12

Why mag only. I guess I haven't been following your post. Can't you hook up a battery and run the buzz coils off battery. I do it all the time on "no starter" Ts. They originally had a dry cell battery to start on. I have two Ts, a 1918 and a 1921 that will start on mag only but you need to spin her over pretty good to get the spark, a battery will give you the instant spark your probably going to need. Pulling her would work also. Looks like your buzz box has a mag side as well as a battery side. Although it will developed a good strong arm, starting on mag only that is.
hammerless-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
41panelmark

Friday we pulled the T around many blocks behind a newer (90's) Ford truck without the ignition on to help break in the motor. After lots of trips around town I switched the key over to magneto and it fired right up. Lots of power, need to look into auxiliary brakes for sure now.

Drove it around those same blocks for another half hour and then headed back to the shop. Amazingly enough now it will start in less than a quarter turn on the magneto when warm. Today I drove it around 24 miles to visit the family that I got the little truck from. Boy were they happy to see it and see it running so well. Lots of rides and stories. That old 39 wanted to follow me home and may do that one day. I am working on videos but here are some photos for now. Wish I could load these the MTFCA site but what a pain, still working on that too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driving down the country road.jpg (28.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Returned to home.jpg (258.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Possible future toy.jpg (402.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Headed back to town.jpg (34.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by 41panelmark; 09-30-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: more text
Old 09-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #8
41panelmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerless-12 View Post
Why mag only. I guess I haven't been following your post. Can't you hook up a battery and run the buzz coils off battery. I do it all the time on "no starter" Ts. They originally had a dry cell battery to start on. I have two Ts, a 1918 and a 1921 that will start on mag only but you need to spin her over pretty good to get the spark, a battery will give you the instant spark your probably going to need. Pulling her would work also. Looks like your buzz box has a mag side as well as a battery side. Although it will developed a good strong arm, starting on mag only that is.
Yes I can hook up a small battery for running the coils however the first battery that I tried was destroyed by the trickle charger for some reason (dry cell). You are correct in that this new engine will start on mag in about a quarter turn when warm but having the battery will help when it is cold out or it has been sitting for a while.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
hammerless-12

Yes, that's correct. My Ts start real easy after they are warmed up on mag. Starting cold I usually start them on battery then switch over to mag. If you don't have a battery just pull up close or take one out of your daily driver cars, 12 volt works just fine. The tiny little 6 volt flashlight batteries work well also. I use Alligator ends on homemade jumper wire, maybe 12 gauge wire. Not the real heavy wire used on car battery terminals or jumper cables anyways. Ground the negative to the frame and run the hot to your coils box post. New engine or not it should start within a few cranks. With your new engine I'd put her rear up on jack stands. Just in case the transmission bands are adjusted a little tight. I have never had a problem starting a fresh motor with the crank. Once your jumpers are hooked up turn her over by hand and make sure your getting a good buzz out of each coil. Anyway you go have fun, and enjoy that fine looking old T.
hammerless-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
39portlander

If you can, rescue that 39 by all means. I started by resurrecting a 39 and now working on a 26. Good post and pictures, it really is a good feeling when you get something running again and sharing that with a previous owner.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:20 PM   #11
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Very Cool ,Thanks for posting

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #12
41panelmark

Thanks guys. I forgot to post a couple of pics of the engine before. Oil line was clogged up near the front, explains why the front 2 cylinders were worn, bad babbit and when I hooked up an outside line boy did I burn oil then. That is why the work needed to be done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eng 2 (600x800).jpg (133.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg gunk 1.jpg (75.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg gunk 2.jpg (127.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg gunk 3.jpg (147.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by 41panelmark; 10-28-2017 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add text.