Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
jimTN

Default 53 PU Trans

Would like to overdrive a 53 pickup. Is the reason pu tailshafts are short because the trans is supported by the belhousing instead of tailshaft like automobiles. What about using a car OD trans with long tail shaft, shortning the driveshaft and adding some sort of support crossmember under the tailshaft to prevent wobble? I am guessing PU od trans are scarce as the hens teeth.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
MMB

Default Re: 53 PU Trans

The stock F-100 OD trans looks almost identical to the passenger car version, 1951-54. It has no rear mount just hangs off the bellhousing like the standard trans, obviously the drive shaft is quite a bit shorter and hence smaller in diameter. All the pickup trans have a longer and larger input shaft than the passenger versions. As far as finding one goes they are around, at least out west but usually the trans gears are shot or the OD section has been unmercifully abused. Happy hunting!
MMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
joe plumber

Check out the kit from Speedway Motors .I assume you have a V-8 flathead in your pickup ,if not it will not work .My 55 f100 had a 6 cyl.in it and I installed a v-8 flathead and used one of Speedways kits .They are a little pricey now .There are other kits available also .I converted mine about 8 years ago and have had no trouble with it .The transmission is a C-4 .Before using the C-4, I put in a trans out of a 54 Ford Car ,it was a waste of time .You will have find a rear trans crossmember mount or make one ,I used the one out of the 54 car .

Last edited by joe plumber; 05-10-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added more.
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
James Phillips

If you can't find a T85 truck OD, which was OEM optional from 1953-56, you can use the later T86 OD truck trans, which are easier to find. It bolts right up to the 53 flathead bell housing. Thats what I did on my 53 F100. The only modifications needed were to shorten the driveshaft and make a clutch pivot out of angle iron to bolt to the side of the trans. The T86 truck ODs were made from 1957 up until the 70s.
James Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
38 coupe

The T85 with R11 was only factory installed in 1965-1972 Ford pickups. The 1953 overdrive transmission is the same for cars and trucks.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote