Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2023, 08:16 AM   #1
Doug Black

Default 34 Ford restoration

I just bought a 34 Ford 2 Dr Sedan. It’s been stored in a garage since early 60’s and frame and body are very solid. It is pretty much a complete car but every piece of sheet metal was taken off the body and stored away. I have accounted for almost every piece. What is the best book for putting this car back together stock? Not going to make a show car just fun driver ,but I have all the sheet metal and want to keep looking original. Any info would be great.
Doug Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:38 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: 34 Ford restoration

The Early Ford V8 Club of Amereica, Nationl organization has a 33-34 restoration book that would be helpful. If not a member, join. It is hard to put something together you didn't take apart if you are unfamiliar with it. You can purchase this book on their national website. Also, find an EFV8 regional group in your area and more than likely a member has a car you can go look at.
Does the sheetmetal that has been removed have original paint on it, or is it in primer?
If primer you may choose to paint the parts before assembly.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:45 AM   #3
Doug Black

All original paint and parts. Thanks for the feedback.
Doug Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 09:38 AM   #4
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
The Early Ford V8 Club of Amereica, Nationl organization has a 33-34 restoration book that would be helpful.
I think the spiral bound '33/34 book authored by Cliff Helling is out of print; it's not available online from the EFV8 website or others anymore.

While full of various sorts of information, it won't be particularly helpful when it comes to reassembling a car from pieces.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 09:39 AM   #5
DavidG

The V8 Club's '33-'34 book is out of print and its replacement is a couple of years down the road. Best bets in the interim are the reprints of the original chassis parts catalog, body part catalog., and 1934 Service Bulletins.

As noted by itslow immediately above, the existing V8 Club book isn't a guide to reassembling a car that is in pieces. For that matter, neither is the body parts catalog, but the chassis parts catalog does have numerous illustrations of components in exploded views.

You can use the V8 Club's on line resources to locate members near you who have '34s that could serve as references.

Last edited by DavidG; 08-18-2023 at 09:48 AM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 10:06 AM   #6
Zeke3

RG 56 meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 6:30 P.M. at a church on the southside of Indy, so the next meeting is the 12th of September. A lot of friendly, helpful people are in the group. I wished I had joined much earlier. I am sure between our group and the Ford Barn we can help you get that thing together. But first, we need to get you trained on posting pictures on the Barn, so that you can illustrate your questions, if you don’t know how to do it already.

Congratulations on your new acquisition and let me know if you would like more information about RG 56 monthly meetings.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:54 PM   #7
jimTN

Assemble the front fenders grill and hood with fastners loose for alignment. Go thru this completely before painting anything or you will have problems. A trial alignment pays big dividends!
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 06:27 PM   #8
highbeams

Good to hear that it's going back together ORIGINAL. lucky you for the find!

And, the machine-thread nuts 'n bolts size depended upon the part! (assembly line)
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote