Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
roccaas

Default Final Drive Ratio and "Short First Gear"

All of my driving is done on flat (South East Georgia) Roads, and rarely above 50 mph. I don't need an overdrive, but the 1st gear is practically worthless when comparing time of use versus utility.

I end up using a two speed method in the city as the engine torque is sufficient to move the car off the line with a minimum of clutch/rev. I believe that Henry was quoted as telling a potential (female?) customer that the new A had sufficient torque and power to run in 3rd exclusively.

Is there a way to increase the "time in gear" of first gear to make it more useful from a dead stop, but maintain drive ability at traffic speeds?

I've always read that you shouldn't go beyond the factory rear end without power enhancements at the engine (which I won't add)!

Again, I'm going for durability, drive ability, and something more than 2 seconds and 8 mph out of first gear.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: Final Drive Ratio and "Short First Gear"

I've just accepted "that's the way they are"...

If I'm starting on level ground or headed downhill, I will often start in second gear.

If starting in first, on level or very slight grades, I will usually be shifting-out of first by the time I get to the far side of the intersection, or by 8-10 mph.

If I'm pulling a hill, I might stay in first until I hit 10-15 MPH before shifting.

Part of the issue is the faster you go in first, the longer you have to wait for the gears to wind down before you can get it into second (gracefully)... you lose momentum... might as well have shifted from first at 5-8 MPH...

I don't think first is quite as "useless" as you might think; it does a very good job of getting the car moving; there's a big difference between hitting second gear at 5 MPH and starting in second from a dead stop... lugging the engine is a big enemy of the Ford engine... very hard on the babbit.

I think the only way to "increase your time in first gear" w/o other major mods, would be to switch from the 3.78 stock rear to a 3.54; but then that will affect driveability throughout the entire speed range of the vehicle.

Making sure you have the proper very-heavy gear oil in the tranny will also cut-down on the lag-time between shifts... 600 heavy gear oil, Lubriplate SPO 288, etc.

Look at it this way: first gear in the Model A is a lot more "useful" for daily driving than first gear in the granny four-speeds of pick-up trucks through the 1960's...

I'll have to read my 1928 operator's manual and see what Ford recommends for shift points...

FYI - most of my driving is urban & suburban, and we have fairly hilly country here in NE Pennsylvania.

Last edited by Special Coupe Frank; 09-27-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Aerocraft

Although I rarely drive my Coupe and Roadster over 50 MPH, I find that the 3.54:1 rear axle makes a lot of sense. Couple that with a Snyders HC head and you will be very happy with the result. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
MikeK

If you're a big spender, the Mitchell rebuild is available with 15% higher 1st and 2nd. Instead of the stock 3.12, 1.85, 1.00 you would have something like 2.65, 1.57. 1.00.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post

Look at it this way: first gear in the Model A is a lot more "useful" for daily driving than first gear in the granny four-speeds of pick-up trucks through the 1960's...
My 1992 chevy pickup had a 6.34 first gear and reverse on a 5 speed .
I think I was able to tach the 350 out at around 5 or 6 MPH in first and reverse, really sucked trying to back up in snow if you were stuck. I sold it last December, kind of miss it now

I think the Model A's first gear has a lot to do with the roads of the time. If you go "off roading" you don't want to have to constantly ride the clutch. Which is what you would have to do with a higher first gear.

Also, if you load 4 people in the vehicle, hows it take off in 2nd? I would assume its going to have a much harder time then with only the driver. And then figure a few people plus a slight hill.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Jim Brierley

The only down side about starting in 2nd gear is wear on the clutch.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote