Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #61
TomInCologne

Default Re: Your biggest Model-A mistake of the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
A monkey wrench which doesn't have the serrated jaws would be preferable, but one doesn't see many of them around any more.
german manufacturer: Knipex, available in the USA...
My preferred supplier of pliers

TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #62
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInCologne View Post
german manufacturer: Knipex, available in the USA...
My preferred supplier of pliers

Looks like a fancy pair of channel locks.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #63
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Looks like a fancy pair of channel locks.

Regards
Bill
Not really. The nice thing about the Knipex plier/wrench is that the jaws stay parallel regardless of which slot the handle is in or what the position of the handles is. Conventional channellocks vary the angle of the two jaws epending upon the handle position. So what the Knipex does is combine the nice part of the channellocks (being able to draw down on the jaws to tighten your grip on whatever you are grabbing) with a conventional Crescent-type adjustable wrench. So you are able to grab nuts and bolt heads without chowdering them up.

One downside is, the Knipex plier/wrenches are (like most German tools) a bit pricey in the US (Tom, I suspect that USA-made tools, when you can find them, would be the same in Germany!). Because I have not yet justified in my own mind that I really cannot live without them I haven't gotten any yet. But I've been looking and lusting for several years. Maybe if Santa is good to me this year...

BTW, Knipex does make a selection of "conventional" channellock type pliers as well, both with straight and notched jaws. But these plier/wrenches are a different beast.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #64
WHN

I use to be an electrical distributor, Klein out sold Knipex in our stores 20 or more to 1.

They do make nice stuff but pricing can turn people off. Just like German cars.

Enjoy the holiday season
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:59 PM   #65
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
<snip>

One downside is, the Knipex plier/wrenches are (like most German tools) a bit pricey in the US (Tom, I suspect that USA-made tools, when you can find them, would be the same in Germany!). Because I have not yet justified in my own mind that I really cannot live without them I haven't gotten any yet. But I've been looking and lusting for several years. Maybe if Santa is good to me this year...

BTW, Knipex does make a selection of "conventional" channellock type pliers as well, both with straight and notched jaws. But these plier/wrenches are a different beast.

JayJay

Knipex is expensive in germany as well, but it is top quality. Just like Wera (socket sets, spanners,...), but you buy it only once in your life...

That is, if you don't have to take them to different places in the world and there they get stolen or 'lost'...
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:30 AM   #66
Bob-A

Wink Re: Your biggest Model-A mistake of the year?

Your biggest Model-A mistake of the year? To many to list, but I'll mention a couple of them: Tried running a "B" distributor in my '31 roadster. I never could get the short out of it. Added a Nu-Rex ignition switch along with replacing the instrument panel. Boy, was that a mind bender. The instrument panel I added is one of the uncommon brass made ones versus the steel made variety. The brass one is a little shallower in its depth then the steel one. This caused the Nu-Rex switch to butt up against the gas tank when the top left mounting screw next to the gas gauge is tightened. Which would short out the ignition and kill the engine! I covered everything with black electrical tape, but it would still short circuit when I tightened the top left screw again. I finally figured it out when I noticed the depth differences in the two instrument panels. The back of the Nu-Rex switch was somehow being shorted internally when it was pressed against the gas tank. And not by exposed wiring terminals on the switch like I originally thought. Drove me crazy for almost the whole year. I do not tighten the top left instrument panel screw very much now.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #67
GerryAllen

Had a similar short in my instrument panel.
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 11:31 PM   #68
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Not really. The nice thing about the Knipex plier/wrench is that the jaws stay parallel regardless of which slot the handle is in or what the position of the handles is. Conventional channellocks vary the angle of the two jaws epending upon the handle position. So what the Knipex does is combine the nice part of the channellocks (being able to draw down on the jaws to tighten your grip on whatever you are grabbing) with a conventional Crescent-type adjustable wrench. So you are able to grab nuts and bolt heads without chowdering them up.

JayJay
My Son has a complete collection of the Knipex pliers, will not even consider any others. One drawer in his huge Snap On cabinet is dedicated to Knipex. He does use tools for a living and typically has the best.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #69
DesertG

I've only had mine two months but buying after market parts that don't fit right. Find and refurbish an original part first. Second near disaster, driving car to DMV for inspection without any tools and also nearly running out of gas.
DesertG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #70
jb-ob

Desert G.

Not funny now but this time next year you'll laugh. All part of the ownership experience.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 06:28 PM   #71
Gene F

Bob, maybe glue some flat washers to the back side before inserting the screws?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #72
vern hodgson

Did not happen this year but had my a sitting the barn one very cold winter morning thinking it was not that cold inside. Kept hearing a ticking kinda noise. Followed it to the A, opened the hood and watched my script head as it froze and cracked.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:18 PM   #73
Joop

Not selling my 400A and buying this one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4422CB75-F971-4DF9-BDA8-A4436CAAEE56.jpg (75.2 KB, 23 views)
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #74
ronn

Joop I prefer your 400A
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote