Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Mart

Default Well that worked pretty well! Perch bolt puller.

I had an idea in my mind to make a puller for perch bolts. I have some 32-34 type that need pulling. Now this is not an original idea, I saw a pic of one somewhere, but cannot find it to give credit to the original poster. Based on the theory that it is better to pull something that is tight rather than push, I gathered some parts together and started cutting and welding. One old u-bolt, heated and bent, a piece of threaded rod, a nut, some 40mm square tube and a couple of bits of angle.

Cut, weld, drill grind..

Hey presto a puller tacked together and tried on for size. The idea behind the u-bolt was to try and get the line of "pull" more in line with the centre line of the pin.

There are a couple of slots on the inside of the tubes so it can fit over the perch protusions but remain nice and tight to resist splaying.

I welded a couple of shallow u's across the bottom of each foot to locate better on the axle and fully welded it.

Here it is having pulled the pin out an inch or so. I had applied heat, to maybe flashing to dull red momentarily as the torch passed over.

Here is the puller and pin after a successful extraction.

And a close up of the business end.

The bits sticking out below the nuts are non functional, just happened to be already welded to the heavy wall tube I wanted to use.

I was very pleased with how it went. The tool is quite strong and can exert a great deal of pressure. I wound it as tight as I dare and then applied some heat. What I hadn't realised is that it had already moved a little bit, and had I known that I would have just kept on winding, or still applied heat but not as much. There is a slight angular difference between the two "feet" to account for the bend in the axle. The outer leg may need thinning down to allow for a dropped axle.

Anyway, it worked well, so I thought I'd share.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Well that worked pretty well! Perch bolt puller.

Mart, you amaze me with your ingenuity. Is the threaded rod hardened, or hardware store variety?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
Mart

Thanks. Not hardened, but it is pretty stout. 20mm. I don't imagine I'll use it often enough to wear it out.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
FrankWest

Mart, I believe you could do almost anything!
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

I love it,you just have to put your mind to it and you can do most anything. Thanks for sharing.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
Mart

Ha ha. I searched for ages for this and I just found it. The pic I remembered from years ago is at the end of this thread. I didn't like the off centre pull, so refined it a bit. Credit to Wayne-o for embedding the puller idea into my memory, and Andy for giving Wayne-o the idea.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...e-a-pita.5726/

Mart.