Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
53INGY

Default Model A Halogen head lights

Gentlemen I have a 31 four door that a previous owner has installed sealed beam lights external not behind the original lenses. I have the lenses and plan to install with original reflectors. I have learned about two ways to install halogen bulbs . The first system uses custom reflectors and uses 35 watt bulbs which will require a 6volt alternator. due to current draw. I understand Bill Hirch has produced a 25 watt bulb which will fit original sockets and reflectors and will operate ok on a stock 6 volt generator. The second method I am leaning toward. I also wonder about reflectors .I understand there are two choices Vintque and brantons sold by most vendors. The brantons are polished aluminum and the vintque are chromed steel. Most of us don't do a lot of night driving but will have to drive home from some event that is close. Input on the forum would be appreciated. No show car here just a driving tour car that needs an original looking face lift the seal beams have to go and generator does not keep up.
thanks Don
53INGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Model A Halogen head lights

You want the Bratton's reflectors.

You would be better served to get the Classic and Vintage Bulb made halogen direct replacements. A few years ago we found the Made in India bulbs did not the filamets set properly, they were rotated some.

They work great with the generator. My brother has been running them for probably over 10 years now.

Be sure to properly focus the bulbs once you get them in the buckets.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #3
john in illinois

In my Tudor I used original reflectors and modified them to use the modern H4 halogen kit sold by Snyders and others. Have had excellent night driving lights for 8 years.I went with 12 volt alternator.

John
john in illinois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

I use 35 watt direct fit halogens with the original generator, about 50% of my driving is with the lights on, I never charge the battery except by driving, I have a lower charge rate with the halogens than I had when I was using 50cp regular bulbs, the original generator has been very reliable, much better than the alternator in my 74 chevy truck, battery life in the A has been good too, the Optima lasted 14 years, and the battery in the car now is over 12 years old----
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
1930artdeco

Ok I just bought the repo reflectors from Brattons. I am running a 6v positive gen and would like to use halogens for what little night driving I do. Kevin suggested these:

"get the Classic and Vintage Bulb made halogen direct replacements"-are these the 35/35 bulbs that the vendors sell? Or is there another company that makes them? And are the direct replacements any good now?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 06-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

My 1931 Coupe has sealed beam lights behind the original reflectors. However, I put halogens from Bratton's in my Victoria, and the halogens are superior to the sealed beams in lumens of light produced, and in road viability at night.

My recommendation is use halogen headlights with the highest illumination bulbs available.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #7
rscardina

The Restorer had an article about the reflectors. They tested several different options and the ones that Brattons has made for them got the best results. I'm not at home, so I can't tell you which issue. Maybe someone here can tell you which issue it was in.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
53INGY

It sounds like the Branton reflectors and the 35/35 watt direct replacement bulbs will work on current draw on the stock generator. Which vendor are you buying them from? I see Bill Hirsh is advertising them but are Mac sand Snyder selling his bulbs or are there other vendor bulbs and which are holding up as Kurt and Kevin are using. thanks fellows for the input I want to get the car back to original look
Don
53INGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #9
JohnLaVoy

We did an article about why you should use the bulbs that fit the original reflector and how they need to be adjusted into the focus plain of the reflector in reference to the lens.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #10
Kevin in NJ

Classic and vintage bulbs
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #11
Y-Blockhead

If you were running 12v another option would be 125/75 CP Brite Bulbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brite Bulbs.jpg (13.0 KB, 23 views)
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:40 PM   #12
verrece

Dear colleages
And what about the new led lamps? is there any 6 volts for?
verrece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:13 AM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by verrece View Post
Dear colleages
And what about the new led lamps? is there any 6 volts for?
LED's are not suitable for our needs if the stock type reflector and lens is to be retained. See condensed explanation below.

Are LEDS suitable for Old Headlights?
Conventional type headlamps need a single point source of light (ie a filament) positioned at the reflector focal point, to produce a crisp, defined beam of light. High-Low beam LED bulbs have 2 or more points of light, neither of which are at the focal point. The resultant light pattern is a diverged soft pattern of light. More suited to daytime running lamps or 1920's headlamps with frosted lens patterns, that don't give a projected light beam.
Many, so-called "LED headlamp bulbs" are available, but check the fine print as they may fail MOT/Roadworthy tests and
dazzle other road users. Reputable sellers will state they are for daytime running lights (DRL)
(from Classic and Vintage Bulbs website).
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #14
Jim Huseby

Has anyone had this problem? The non-adjustable halogen bulb and reflector combo I have in my CCPU makes a bright ring of light ahead, but in the center, where I need to see the road, it is nearly dark. I just can't see well enough with that aggravation and I can't remember where I got them and don't want to end up with replacements that do the same thing. All the halogens that I've used before were great.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote