Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: Restoration or maintaining
Complete authentic restoration 18 32.14%
Maintaining 38 67.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2023, 08:21 AM   #1
Seth Swoboda

Default How many of you are doing total restorations?

I'm curious, how many of you guys are doing complete restorations yet or are most folks just maintaining their V8's to keep them on the road?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 08:37 AM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: How many of you are doing total restorations?

Count me as NINE, AS a matter of fact, I have one just restored that has to be done AGAIN!!!! IF That counts twice (OR More)

Last edited by rockfla; 05-09-2023 at 02:48 PM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 08:46 AM   #3
SJCormier

Would love to do a complete restoration of my 33 Tudor but realistically it’s going to be “maintain and drive” as is for the foreseeable future.
SJCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 08:47 AM   #4
Zeke3

I need a third option, putting my long term project back together, to running condition, along with repairing the rust issues along the way.

Last edited by Zeke3; 05-09-2023 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Added punctuation.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:35 AM   #5
the.secret.victoria

I'm sure there are those of us that would do the first, but have decided to settle for the latter given the ever decreasing availability and increasing cost of useable parts (both OE and reproduction) and correctness the available reproduction pieces.

That may inadvertently result in more owner enjoyment, though, as one might not feel as much worry when actually driving the vehicle.
* Sedan or Victoria roof tack strip (OEM or aftermarket)
* Straight commercial (pickup) bumper '33/'34 or '35 (46-17757 or 68-17757)
the.secret.victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:53 AM   #6
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I'm curious, how many of you guys are doing complete restorations yet or are most folks just maintaining their V8's to keep them on the road?
Seth, as has always been the case, the majority of folks get their cars running / drivable and perhaps a paint job on the top surfaces.
The number of folks that restore a car fully and properly has always been a small minority.
In my opinion, that minority is growing even smaller as each year passes. Given the cost of doing a correct restoration and the leaning of interest in these cars overall, well, you can surely understand the inevitable outcome.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:14 AM   #7
tubman

I'm getting too old to do one myself, but if I can get anything near what I want for my Corvette and can find someone, I am prepared to spend a ridiculous amount on my '51, which is already a pretty nice car.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 11:08 AM   #8
flatford8

I’m doing a body-off “total repair” on a ‘51 Tudor Delux. Rebuilt motor, painted the frame, new suspension all painted. Repaired the floors and trunk pan. New interior and glass. I’m not redoing the chrome or having it professionally painted. When it’s done it’ll look like the best that I could do myself......it’s taken a few years because I work to much....I’m retiring in Dec and I’m going to finish it. I have a ’37 pickup that’s going to get the same treatment.....a “total repair”......if I had it to do over I would have bought “driver quality “ and not spent so much time making them that way....I don’t care about the money I’ve invested...for me, that’s not the reason for doing it....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 11:10 AM   #9
Mike34

Been nibbling away at 3 total restorations (if I'm allowed to count a bowtie on this forum.) In hindsight, I probably should have bought drivers and slowly sorted them out over the years.
Mike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 12:06 PM   #10
SoCalCoupe

Had an interesting experience as a 1st-time car show judge a couple of weeks ago. My category was 1960 - 1972 original/restored. As I learned the level of perfection it actually takes to be competitive in that category, I lost interest. Now I know why I don't win any trophies at judged car shows. My preferred category would be driver/period-correct/reasonably-clean but I've never heard of such a thing.

Thought my car was restored when I bought it. It's not. Read a few posts here on the 'Barn critiquing cars for sale and learned how restored is a whole other level above good-looking-original-appearing-clean-driver. And that next level is A WHOLE LOT MORE dollars. Not my thing. If it's your thing, that's fine. There are a lot of right ways to enjoy the car hobby. If your name is on the title, you call the shots. Live and let live.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 12:34 PM   #11
Model51

I'm doing a full nut and bolt back to as original assembly line condition as possible of a 1935 1-1/2 ton 157" stake bed truck. This will be my only complete restoration. It's very expensive, slow and I will likely be the only person who knows how detailed the restoration has been. Started in 1999, grew two great sons, had a 42 year very busy career with lots of travel, so now that I'm retired and have time, it's beginning to come together. Hope to get it all done next year. I've chosen to enjoy the process and not be pressured by setting a time limit. Still have paint and many details to complete, but it's finally coming together and the 35-36 truck book is finally done so time is now my own.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 01:47 PM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoupe View Post
Had an interesting experience as a 1st-time car show judge a couple of weeks ago. My category was 1960 - 1972 original/restored. As I learned the level of perfection it actually takes to be competitive in that category, I lost interest. Now I know why I don't win any trophies at judged car shows. My preferred category would be driver/period-correct/reasonably-clean but I've never heard of such a thing.

Thought my car was restored when I bought it. It's not. Read a few posts here on the 'Barn critiquing cars for sale and learned how restored is a whole other level above good-looking-original-appearing-clean-driver. And that next level is A WHOLE LOT MORE dollars. Not my thing. If it's your thing, that's fine. There are a lot of right ways to enjoy the car hobby. If your name is on the title, you call the shots. Live and let live.
I thoroughly enjoy and agree with your comments. Thank you.
There are many aspects of this old car hobby.

Ya know, there are local shows (McDonalds, etc.) that award cars based on popular vote. That leaves room for ALL cars. It sounds as if that may be a fun venue that you'd enjoy.
Then there are marque specific shows with specific year classes. Those are the toughest to "win" but. like you had mentioned, (paraphrasing here) there are different strokes for different folks.
As it should be.
Old 05-09-2023, 01:49 PM   #13
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model51 View Post
I'm doing a full nut and bolt back to as original assembly line condition as possible of a 1935 1-1/2 ton 157" stake bed truck. This will be my only complete restoration. It's very expensive, slow and I will likely be the only person who knows how detailed the restoration has been. Started in 1999, grew two great sons, had a 42 year very busy career with lots of travel, so now that I'm retired and have time, it's beginning to come together. Hope to get it all done next year. I've chosen to enjoy the process and not be pressured by setting a time limit. Still have paint and many details to complete, but it's finally coming together and the 35-36 truck book is finally done so time is now my own.
You won't be the only person that who understands your efforts. There will be two others, Dave Rehor and myself
Old 05-09-2023, 01:55 PM   #14
kirkf

Maybe we should just label this poll as 'Maintaining' and 'Restoring'
Authentic is a level that's well beyond most vehicles.

Kirk
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 02:19 PM   #15
petehoovie

Had a totally restored '37 and it won many awards. On those occasions when I showed the '37 along with my original unrestored '34, the '34 garnered much more attention, praise and accolades than the '37...

There's something to be said about the patina of age and use...

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 05-09-2023 at 02:42 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 02:39 PM   #16
1952henry

Doing one on a 1952 F3 Marmon Herrington. Been smoothing the frame, getting ready for top coat, then slow assembly. Taking awhile, saving every original fastener to clean, and replate, recolor, mostly myself. No 1-800 buy a part. Can’t anyhow when it comes to the MH parts.

Last edited by 1952henry; 05-09-2023 at 02:50 PM.
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 03:06 PM   #17
DavidG

As Mike notes, I enjoy the research, the hunt for the parts, the frustration, and the sublime satisfaction of restoring them as built. I've just added another one to my list of those in final assembly, now seven in total. I'm not bragging or complaining; as well said above, to each, his own.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 03:15 PM   #18
Model51

The thing that keeps me going and interested is that I enjoy the research and the process of bringing back something to the way it was originally made (at least as best I can).

One thing I like about the Early Ford V8 Club is that there is no "winner", it's you against the judging sheet and everyone who takes the time and care gets rewarded. I sort of shot myself in the foot by publishing a 275 page detailed book about my truck, so now other can tell what's right or not, but for me the book was as much fun as restoring the truck, so I'm happy.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 03:52 PM   #19
DavidG

As you should be, it's THE benchmark for the subject matter.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 04:00 PM   #20
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
You won't be the only person that who understands your efforts. There will be two others, Dave Rehor and myself
Dave
I may not know the platitudes of correctness to the "inth" bolt......But I would be number 3 behind Kube & DavidG in recognizing, further exploring and appreciating what efforts you have made on you "51" as well.......AND mark me down as "cannot wait to see it when it is done!!"
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote