Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
Forty-wuns foever

Default 12 volt Alt wiring to original loom.

I have not been on here in a number of months and I have looked for my specific question but do not see it.

So here goes, I am installing a 12 volt alt on my 41 Ford flathead. The alt shares a bracket with an a/c compressor.

It will be running an electric cooling fan and the inside a/c fan, I am thinking a 90 amp will do for the alt.
The original voltage regulator is missing but there is a short yellow wire which looks like it would be the main feed back to the battery. Can this be used to connect the alt output (battery) wire instead of going to the solenoid.

I have a wiring diagram that shows this yellow wire going from the regulator through the gauge to the circuit breakers and to the battery side of the solenoid, the print is not very clear but that is what it looks like.

Any help is appreciated.
Forty-wuns foever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 12 volt Alt wiring to original loom.

The alternator output would connect the same as the generator to the wiring harness, except for what is required to get the alternator to work properly. If it is a one-wire alternator, then same basic routing as the original. If it is a 3-wire, then you have to account for the additional wiring. One issue you will most likely have with a one-wire is the RPM range required to excite the alternator. It may not start charging until the RPMs are up.

Edit: Is this diagram any clearer than the one you are using?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1941car.jpg (91.9 KB, 18 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote