Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
Dave Castle

Default 8Ba vs 59AB

Are the demensions of a 59ab the same as a 8ba. I am considering putting a 8ba into my 40 pu which has a 59a block now, ( cracked beyond repair). What am I going to run up against ?
Dave Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 8Ba vs 59AB

Most of the difference is the back bell on 59 series and none on 8BA. Now a lot of stuff can be interchanged in sets to make the front fit what you want but the back always requires the Mercury or truck half bell to bolt up. This can include the oil pan too if you need rear sump. An 8BA flywheel will have to be used with the 8BA to get the starter to work. To get a clutch to fit early gearboxes a person will either have to re-drill the flywheel to fit 9-inch or 10-inch clutch for early cars/trucks or a 49/51 Mercury Borg & Beck clutch can be used with the Mercury type flywheel. Modern clutches can also be used but it depends on what transmission you want to go with it so it can be adapted.

There are other things to consider but that's a start.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Probably just me but when I open the hood I like to see the correct (or at least pre 48) engine. Again I is probably just me but if I was going to buy a vehicle I would want to see the "correct" (or nearly correct) engine.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Ol' Ron

You can convert the 8BA to look like the 59, but it's allot of work, including changing the cam. all the rest of the stuff bolts on. However you'd have to use skips water pumps as the originals nee lub from the engine. You'll have to plug some holes in the block and probably somethings I forgot. However 8 BA would be a better choice and probably increase the value ov the tryck, unless it waz going in a Museum.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
rotorwrench

8RT pumps of the later truck variety will generally work on the older vehicles. The 40 & 41 were in that batch of models that had the crankshaft mounted fan so the radiators were set in there for that. A crank mounted fan can be adapted and the front pumps & gen can run with one belt as long as it's 8RT or pumps fit to work on a single belt. The 8BA type distributor will work with the 8RT truck stuff. The 49 Merc had a single belt set up but the pumps are a bit different with the engine mounts. I think they could be adapted with special spacers but they are bushing type pumps on one end so they might be a pain.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Probably just me but when I open the hood I like to see the correct (or at least pre 48) engine. Again I is probably just me but if I was going to buy a vehicle I would want to see the "correct" (or nearly correct) engine.

Charlie Stephens
Only visible differences are shorter upper hoses and a visible distributor. Seems nearly correct to me.
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
40 Deluxe

Oh, and an improved crankcase ventilation system (road draft tube).
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Only visible differences are shorter upper hoses and a visible distributor. Seems nearly correct to me.
I must have a lower threshold of pain than you. That is the reason I started with "Probably just me...".

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post

Charlie Stephens
I agree. My thinking has always been if you have a stock vehicle (not a street rod or hot rod) and you have the ability to make the engine correct for the application then why not do it? I think it becomes harder to sell an early Ford V8 vehicle if it drifts too far away from original. Especially any "custom" modification. Personally if I'm shopping for an early Ford and the car/truck starts to drift away from original in the engine, trans and rear end then I'm going to continue my search. A hydraulic brake conversion if done in such a way that it is all early ford and there has been no cutting or poor installation bothers me less then the wrong engine or transmission, even if it is a Flathead.

However that is only my opinion and there is no right or wrong way, it's your car after all.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Castle View Post
Are the demensions of a 59ab the same as a 8ba. I am considering putting a 8ba into my 40 pu which has a 59a block now, ( cracked beyond repair). What am I going to run up against ?
The overall dimensions are so similar between the two that either will fit in the same space, and in particular, in your '40. This swap has been done a bazillion times in the past, and the biggest difference at the flywheel area is easily handled with a factory Ford pick-up half bell, or a '49-'50 Merc pressed-steel half bell. The biggest thing to watch and plan for is the fan. The 8BA fan will hit the upper radiator hoses on a '40......just plan accordingly! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #11
tubman

After a few experiences with earlier engines, I have become an "8BA guy". The Ford engineers weren't "sitting on their hands" after the war. They solved a lot of problems (yeah, even the loadamatic was an improvement when maintained properly), especially when it comes to cooling. The 8BA in my '51 runs at 165 degrees (with 180 thermostats) unless the outside temperature is over 85, when it obediently runs right at 180. I agree with the rest of the guys about a concourse restoration or the like; then use the proper engine. If you want a good driver, go with an 8BA. To further enforce my position, try pricing the earlier rod bearings vs. 8BA's. It'll open your eyes, for sure.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #12
19Fordy

Dave; I installed an 8BA in my 40 coupe years ago. Biggest problem is interference of the 8BA fan location and adjustment as V8 mentioned. Here's a thread that tell's you just about all you need to know. Read and memorize every word.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...3+merc+36+ford
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9115b.jpg (88.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSC02545 (Small).JPG (25.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02546.jpg (57.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 09-29-2017 at 09:33 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote