Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2023, 08:41 AM   #1
larry harding

Default future speedster progress/questiond

i finally found a useable(needs a little work) frame for my project. now for other challenges...
1. i want to reverse the spring eyes to lower the stance of the car. i've heard about taking the main spring and working it straight and then curving it the other way. seems like a lot of work. can't the spring be heated and the eye bent the other way the quench in oil to re temper? i've done that on other various springs with good luck. several years ago i had a spring shop shorten the leaf spring on a project i was working on. i think they used a rosebud to heat the spring end, rolled a new eye the quinched it.
2. you tube videos of speedsters show what looks like a "t" gas tank sitting up on edge rather than laying flat. don't know if they are using a special tank or making one with the filler in the edge. i think i can fabricate a tank if i can find the neet brass fill er neck and cap. any suggestions?
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 10:01 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: future speedster progress/questiond

Reverse eye springs are available from the hotrod supply places. Sorry, I don't have a name but you can do a search. There was a thread here on the barn a few months ago on this very subject.

I like the modified frames where the spring perches have been raised up to lower the frame. It all depends on how much work you are willing to do and what the final form you have in mind.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 12:06 PM   #3
jeepguy1948

As the previous poster said there are multiple sources for reverse eye springs, don’t even consider messing with them yourself, it’s just not worth it. There are sources that will sell you only the leaf with the eye reversed or a complete spring pack. I bought “Super Slide Reverse Eye Lowering Springs from Posie’s and couldn’t be happier (Chris and Todd are great guys to deal with). If you want to go even lower it is ok to remove some leaves from the pack (keep the very top leaf (that’s obvious as that’s the one with the eyes) and the very bottom leaf, all others are fair game, removing every other leaf is the norm) since your speedster is even lighter than a stock car you are going to want “soft” springs and “soft”shocks.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:29 PM   #4
Jim Brierley

I've found that Speedway Motors has the best prices. You can also remove a few leaves to lower the car, a speedster is light, so they don't need full springs. Speedway also has their "Speedster Reunion" coming this June. The museum itself is worth the trip to Lincoln NE, plus they have a great tour, dyno time, two dinners and of course free run of the museum.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 05:19 PM   #5
larry harding

the young guy on you tube who is building a hot rod with a jag motor reversed the eyes on his spring manually. it took him six plus hours using a tube bender. there has got to be an easier way.
any body know any thing about the "t" gas tanks used on the you tube speedsters?
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 05:30 PM   #6
AZ_Nick

Front is easy if you have a ring roller, rear isn't worth the trouble if your time has any value. The local spring shop charges me about the same as a new one to do it properly.
AZ_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 12:14 AM   #7
lrf

I have a reversed front spring from "JAKE'S. Tried selling them at the lbmtc swap meet for a $100 and there were no buyers or looker. Next swap meet I go to will be model a club sponsored. They'll sell there, I hope.
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:17 AM   #8
Martinbuilt

I just bought a reverse-eye main spring (front) from old yankee speed. I think it was about $140. Took my stock spring apart, reassembled it with fewer leaves on the oys main.
i think i got 1"-1.5" drop out of it, so not a huge difference.
Martinbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote