Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Swap Meet > For Sale > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2024, 10:54 AM   #1
WillC

Default Swap 1940 Chevy C10 truck

City: Melbourne
State: Florida
Price: Swap

I have a very nice 1940 C10 Chevy truck I would like to swap for a Model T roadster. The truck is solid with very little rust. I'm told the engine is not a 1940 but rather a early 1950's engine. I'm not a Chevy guy so I don't know the difference. I got it about 5 years ago in a swap. Its geared for power so its not very fast. At the time I installed a new fuel pump and carburetor. The guy was running the truck from a gas can on the floor so I installed the original fuel tank. I found if I filled it to full the cab would smell of gas. The tank is rust free inside and out. I couldn't find any leaks but I coated the out side with Red Kote just in case I missed something. Still didn't help with the smell of gas inside the cab so I guess the smell is coming from the new gas cap. I just never filled it over half full. I rebuilt the entire braking system, New master, shoes, spring kit, wheel cylinders all four corners. The original generator worked but the insulation is coming apart inside so I replaced it with a one wire 12V alternator, The generator will go with the truck. It has new electric wiper motors, I have the original vac motors for it, I just could never make them work. It has a new 12V starter from Chevys of the 40's. I put on 4 brand new Coker bias ply tires and tubes. The ignition is now Pertronix. The truck is driven on the road about every two weeks for about 9 miles round trip. I use it to get bottled water. About three years ago I did take it on a 45 mile round trip with no problems. The front seal in the transmission leaks a little. Iv pulled the thermostat from the head because I don't think the radiator would deal with any pressure, Other than that the radiator holds water just fine with a very minor seep. The oil pressured is a little low at idle but runs high at speed. There are no lifter noises at idol. If you let the truck sit for a week or so it helps to prime the carburetor to start it. I'm told the truck should be in the $8 to $12,000 range. The truck came from Texas. I believe its an original southern truck as the factory heater core blocks are still there. I spray the rusted surfaces with Ospho weekly to deter any further problems. I will show in the photos the areas. I'm told it would make a great street rod. Id rather it not go down that path but once its out my hands it will be up to the new owner.

The Model T Roadster should run very well. It doesn't need to have an original engine but dose need to be equipped with a starter. I'm to old to be cranking them anymore. The top should be in good condition and function well with no welds. The body should display well with no dents and the trunk work well. An older paint will be ok. Demountable rims and No loose spokes and a good spare. The tires shouldn't be over 10 years old but this is negotiable giving the condition of the car. I would prefer it to have an original coil and timer ignition. The car should go down the road at 30mph smooth and not shaking or over heating without a water pump. It would be nice if the magneto worked but will not be a deal killer if it doesn't. I would prefer the rear end to have it's original gearing and run smooth with no noise. Axles should be tight without a lot of play. Radiator should be in good shape. I'm not a water pump fan so the car should run within its recommended temps without a water pump. Water pumps make great tire blocks. In short the car can be an older restro but needs to be turn key. This will be an even swap, with no money changing hands. E mail me for my phone number. I cant seem to figure out how to show photos here. I can text photos and videos from my phone. I'm really interested in a Model T Roadster but if you think you have something I just cant do without I'm always open to new ideas. My e mail is [email protected]
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote