Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Napa Skip

Default Anyone Have a List of Model A Fasteners?

The combined age of my 1930 coupe and its two primary occupants is 217 years. I say this not to lay claim to any record nor to solicit sympathy, but merely to provide context for the following comments:

I try to carry a reasonable amount of spare parts, “reasonable” meaning anything and everything I can lay my hands on (except my spare engine, which resides in my shop). This approach to touring lends new definition to the phrase “Don’t leave home without it” while also helping to explain our low gas mileage. However, this philosophy stems from spending 22+ years going to sea on submarines, so I make no excuse for it and yes, if I wore suspenders I’d probably also wear a belt (and no doubt carry a spare).

There are several excellent articles and threads on this subject, including the “What to have onboard on a long tour” thread on this forum, some threads in the archives, Bent Wheel Willie’s “On-Board Model “A” Ford Tools, Parts and Supplies” from the Model “A” News and “Bill Brigden’s “What Do I Take With Me On A Road Trip?” from The Restorer, from which I have developed my own multi-page “Make sure to remember this…” checklist.

But I have not seen a list of fasteners by size for the Model A. I recently acquired several Serv-A-Lite containers from our local Ace Hardware store for $1 apiece (see attached photo, sans fasteners) and two of them fit neatly in the seat pan. Over time I have added a number of cleaned-up spare Model A fasteners but wondered if there is a detailed (i.e., diameter, threads and length, as in ½”x20x1-1/2”, etc.) list of Model A fasteners. I have the usual reference manuals (Judging Standards, Service Bulletins, How To Restore Your Model A series, etc., and most – if not all – MARC & MAFCA magazines dating back to 1977) but have not come across (or didn’t notice) such a list of fasteners. Even the “Ford Automotive Hardware & Trimming Supplies 1928-1938” which does list all standard Ford fasteners, doesn’t (insofar as I can tell) cross-reference to specific models.

Sorry for the long-winded intro to the main question. And thanks in advance to anyone who will post – or direct me to – such a list.

Serv-A-Lite Container.jpg
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Jim Mason

Default Re: Anyone Have a List of Model A Fasteners?

check for the standard parts list at the the MAFCA or MARC or any of the parts houses. There are a few problems with the list, but still a great reference...
Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
329s

Have you tried looking at the Parts Price List's? Within each issue, and there are a few, there is a section showing most...if not all...of the fasteners, size and photos of each....well most of them I guess.

Pluck
329s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Jim Kellett

Mick Isbell jointly published with MARC and MAFCA a detailed manual titled "Ford Model A STANDARD HARDWARE 1928 - 1931 Bolts, Screws, Nuts and Washers" This manual was published in 2000 and is 36 pages plus covers. Should be available at MARC & MAFCA web sites.
Jim Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Aerocraft

Mick's Hardware manual is marvelous. I assembled my 155A using the manual and I felt it was a immense help. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
ctlikon0712

Does anyone know where to get a copy of the book? Iv'e searched bay, and Amaz and no dice...
"Ford Model A STANDARD HARDWARE 1928 - 1931 Bolts, Screws, Nuts and Washers by Mick Isbell"

Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
Does anyone know where to get a copy of the book? Iv'e searched bay, and Amaz and no dice...
"Ford Model A STANDARD HARDWARE 1928 - 1931 Bolts, Screws, Nuts and Washers by Mick Isbell"
I think I bought mine from Bert's or Bratton's.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Roger V

As Jim posted, it's on the MARC website.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

A compact source: Get the December 1932 parts book. Readily available in repro.
Below most of the mechanical parts in the main listing the nuts, bolts, and washers are listed out. If standard, you take that number to the back of the catalog where standard parts are called out and it will translate each number into generic specs like "3/8--24 x 2 1/2' hex head head bolt" that you can use in the local hardware. Hardware that is truly special gets a Ford PN.
This does not give 100% coverage but it gives you a lot...
And of course you can add in some desperate kludge spares, like allthread in common sizes and/or long bolts and a pile of extra washers to adjust...
One thing I like to do is to buy a bunch of extras of any reasonably cheap hardware I have to buy.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
ctlikon0712

OK, thanks guy's. I checked at Berts and they have the book. I love those guys!