Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2023, 07:50 PM   #1
blownford

Default Beware of posting Parts Wanted ad

Wasn't sure which forum this should go in.
There is a guy making the rounds of various car clubs using the name George Potter email [email protected]

He finds a suitable listing for a part (usually a rare and expensive one) and then replies to the ad saying he has the entire car and is parting it out because he is having surgery soon. He inserts a picture of a beautiful car. He asks for a list of all the parts on the car you are interested in and if you reply he will offer you incredible prices and shipping. He asks for a cashiers check made out to his daughter and will avoid giving phone numbers etc.
He has hit the Early Ford V8 Club and the Early 911 Club and probably others.

If you have parts wanted ad just use beware of offers that are too good to be true.
blownford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 08:21 PM   #2
Newc

Default Re: Beware of posting Parts Wanted ad

Just Flagged a scammer on Craig's List Seattle- had photos of a nice 34 5w hot rod-Wanted a Cashiers check purchased on a SATURDAY-banks closed da da. Stay sharp fellows! Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 08:31 PM   #3
bullrunmotor

Yeah-he has been on the AACA National site also
bullrunmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 09:05 PM   #4
Krylon32

I have a 32 Ford sedan project for sale over on the HAMB. I was contacted by someone who was asking for pictures. When I PM'd him back asking for his e-mail address I never heard anything back. I checked and he had been a HAMB member since 2017 but had only one post. I'm always suspicious.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:55 AM   #5
blownford

Just received another scam reply to my parts wanted ad.
This time it's from Mark Donald [email protected]

I found that if the email is from a GMAL account, you can google the address and it will show activity on the web. In this case, a motorcycle club has a post about a fraud reply from this guy. Try it.

I recognize the grill in his photo as one offered on the H.A.M.B. in 2020 I think I'll play a bit with this guy and see where it leads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9708.jpg (23.3 KB, 85 views)
blownford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 01:56 PM   #6
busmania

The scammers are all over Facebook groups these days. Pretty easy to spot but it only takes one or two naive people for them to get what they want and there’s always 1-2 naive people. Anyway, ALWAYS ask for photos with todays date (and then watch for photoshopping of photos), always pay via paypal. NOT friends/family. If you pay friends/family you have no recourse. No cash, no checks, no zelle, no nothing but PayPal! PayPal will protect the buyer so long as you pay the fees. That’s what the fees pay for. Lots of other tips and tricks but I’m tired of typing them out over and over (mostly via the Facebook groups).
Old 04-20-2023, 08:25 PM   #7
cjshaker

With the gov't trying to get involved with PayPal sales, hardly anyone, including me, will do anything BUT Friends & Family. There are plenty of ways to be cautious, and trust your instincts...if you have good instincts that is.
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:18 PM   #8
busmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjshaker View Post
With the gov't trying to get involved with PayPal sales, hardly anyone, including me, will do anything BUT Friends & Family. There are plenty of ways to be cautious, and trust your instincts...if you have good instincts that is.
I get it. Price accordingly. I always offer to pay the fees for the seller. If they say no I move on. Not worth the risk and I’ll keep looking to buy in person.
Old 04-21-2023, 09:08 AM   #9
TJ

Scammer Potter is also on the Early Ford V-8 Club site.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:39 AM   #10
JayChicago

Quote:
With the gov't trying to get involved with PayPal sales, hardly anyone, including me, will do anything BUT Friends & Family.
What is Friends & Family?
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:52 AM   #11
rotorwrench

It's like a cash payment. No transaction records. Even Paypal cautions folks about using it since once it's done, it is done for good.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 11:26 AM   #12
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It's like a cash payment. No transaction records. Even Paypal cautions folks about using it since once it's done, it is done for good.

That's because PayPal doesn't make money off of F&F transactions. And there are records of all PayPal transactions, they just don't offer "protection" for the F&F. From a sellers standpoint, when you go the "payment for goods and services" route, PayPal can freeze your bank account associated with them. You are basically giving them the right to access your account, take money away from you (even if you haven't done anything wrong, all based on a "claim"), and freeze your remaining assets in the account until it's settled. Now, the seller is the one who can get screwed, with no recourse. All it takes is a buyer who makes a claim. So who do you trust? You have to trust your instincts, try to do some research on the seller, and make an informed decision.

I much prefer to buy in person, but there aren't many people selling the parts I need in the very very few swap meets that still exist within driving distance to me. It's just not an option like it was 30-40 years ago. And in a rust belt state like mine, the parts just aren't there like they are out west.
Old 04-22-2023, 03:58 AM   #13
trulyvintage

Exclamation Beware of posting Parts Wanted ad

You can’t have a “ Con “ without a “ Mark “.
“ Mark “ is greedy and expects to buy
goods and services at below market prices.
“ Mark “ then finds out he got what he paid for.
“ Mark “ then starts complaining about how
he was defrauded on the Interweb by the “ Con “.

Don’t be “ Mark “ …..

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 03:35 PM   #14
busmania

Quote:
That's because PayPal doesn't make money off of F&F transactions. And there are records of all PayPal transactions, they just don't offer "protection" for the F&F. From a sellers standpoint, when you go the "payment for goods and services" route, PayPal can freeze your bank account associated with them. You are basically giving them the right to access your account, take money away from you (even if you haven't done anything wrong, all based on a "claim"), and freeze your remaining assets in the account until it's settled. Now, the seller is the one who can get screwed, with no recourse. All it takes is a buyer who makes a claim. So who do you trust? You have to trust your instincts, try to do some research on the seller, and make an informed decision.

I much prefer to buy in person, but there aren't many people selling the parts I need in the very very few swap meets that still exist within driving distance to me. It's just not an option like it was 30-40 years ago. And in a rust belt state like mine, the parts just aren't there like they are out west.
I did recently break my rule of never paying anything but regular PayPal. I used the following common sense/adive and got the part as promised. If you use common sense it can be safe. I asked the person to send a photo with the part AND todays date written on it (or ask to put a banana in the photo or an apple or a whatever the hell you want it to be). Hard to fake that. If they dont actually own it, they can't produce (unless they photo shop it but then again...use your judgement as this should also be fairly obvious if you aren't naive). If they do own it and scoff at the idea of one extra step of taking another photo, then that's a you (seller) problem and not a me problem and I move on.

And, i'm sorry but "PayPal seizing your account" seems like major fear mongering. Be legit and you don't have any issues. fear the boogeyman, that's on you and not my problem. If you are on the up and up, there is nothing to be worried about. and I love me a good conspiracy theory. Sorry im conforming in your eyes but if you knew me, im about as far from a government tit sucker as there is.
Old 04-22-2023, 08:57 PM   #15
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmania View Post
And, i'm sorry but "PayPal seizing your account" seems like major fear mongering. Be legit and you don't have any issues. fear the boogeyman, that's on you and not my problem. If you are on the up and up, there is nothing to be worried about. and I love me a good conspiracy theory. Sorry im conforming in your eyes but if you knew me, im about as far from a government tit sucker as there is.

I wasn't trying to fear monger, just stating a fact. I've never had it happen, but have heard of it happening. I'm a bit more honest than most sellers. Not being a braggart, it's just how I do stuff. I've had guys buy parts off of me, then try to resell them for double the price I was asking....by not pointing out the flaws in the part as I did. I want a person to know exactly what they're getting, as I would want to know, and have been burnt a few times by less than honest people.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:59 PM   #16
busmania

Quote:
I wasn't trying to fear monger, just stating a fact. I've never had it happen, but have heard of it happening. I'm a bit more honest than most sellers. Not being a braggart, it's just how I do stuff. I've had guys buy parts off of me, then try to resell them for double the price I was asking....by not pointing out the flaws in the part as I did. I want a person to know exactly what they're getting, as I would want to know, and have been burnt a few times by less than honest people.
For sure. I’m the same way, it’s like “Are you sure? Do you REALLY want this?….you know there’s a reason I’m selling it right?” Haha. I get it, everyone has their reasons it just seems not using PayPal because their gonna take over my checking account just seems a little extreme.
Old 04-29-2023, 02:43 AM   #17
danliveshere

On the other side of the fence, I had a wanted post a few years ago & a guy from (Oregon I think) responded but he didn’t do PayPal. I sent him my address so he could get a postage cost to Australia. Well 2 weeks later this item was here in Australia with a note saying to send him a bank check! Well I went straight to the bank and got it in the mail to him. Wow, there are some super nice people in our hobby! Dan.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:07 AM   #18
russcc

If you can get there, the Early V8 Club swap is at Fitchburg MA this Sunday 4/30/23. that way you can deal with real people and real parts. Rhinebeck NY is coming up soon in NY. Another great swap meet.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote