Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Lyle

Default Hot 53 mercury with all the shiney stuff

Hi Barner,s.
Ol Ron and others.I won't to build a romper stomper 53 mercyry .with aluminum heads. 2 carb. All the crom stuff. Most of all boared to the max.camed for that good lopey sond. Will not have the blower on it so I am not instered in forged pistons. However I would use them. Money is no problem. This engine I will not scrimp on.The other 4 Ihave running ar stock or allmost stock.Chevy dist. 4bbl or what ever you hot roders can sugest.I am open for your answeres. And sugestons I won't to know about every thing I have C4 ford transmission, t5,stock truck,stock 3 speed with without over drive.Acces to 36- 20010 rear ends. I can go with the 9" or larger clutch. Light or heavy flywheel.WHAT DO YOU all recomind. Have good old time Machine shop avalable doing Flatheads for years. Full balancing allso. Lyle Here in east Texas.
Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
flatheadernie

Default Re: Hot 53 mercury with all the shiney stuff

LYLE are u in tyler or whitehouse, and did u clear that money is no problem with the BLOND ? LOL ernie n tx ( formerly tyler)
flatheadernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
ford1

first thing to do is buy a couple of books on hopping up the ford, mercury flathead,ron holeren and tex smith are two that come to mind, read them and see what the pros have done to lite up the flathead, a lot of time and guess work can be saved with those books
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Lyle

Flatheadernie Man come to findc out she had a few thousand she wonted to throw into the checking account. I played it cool .I said HERE IS THE ACCOUNT NUMBER. And just about that loud. Honey do I need to drive you to the bank!!!!!!!!!?????????
Old 09-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Lyle

I won't Ol Ron and some of the other old time rodders to give me a heads up on some of this realy hot thumping stuff.We here in tyler have a Hamburger joint that every week end every one takesthere rods and showes them off.I won't to blow there minds with a model A or a T with a romping stomping Flathead. NOT A cotten picking (Rat s_ _ _ T. Rod) What they call a rat rod this will be slick as a tick
Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
Henry/Kokomo

Another necessary referrence book is John Lawson's "Flathead Facts". You'll know where to spend your money to get the most bang for the buck spent. This book and Ron Halloran's are the definitive works on flathead performance. You won't be sorry.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
52merc

lyle if want that powerhouse get h&h flatheads to build what you want
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
38 coupe

If money is truly no object, I hear that Motor City Flathead is casting new blocks for much larger displacements. At the slightly less stratospheric level you could purchase one of the French blocks.

I would recommend an 1/8 inch overbore and a 4 1/8 inch stroke (offset ground Merc crank with prewar Ford full floating rods). This will get you 284 cubic inches. You say you want bore to the max but that is not a good idea. You can bore 3/16 oversize but it is risky, particularly if you are using an almost 60 year old block.

I would use whatever new heads you like the look of, a 3 carb manifold, 97s with a progressive linkage, and a Mallory distributor with dual points. I don't like the look of converted Cheby or Mopar distributors; use something that looks correct.

What vehicle is this motor going into? Highway driving or not? Will you want to drag race it? These have a huge impact on cam, flywheel, transmission, and axle selection.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
Mick/mo

Your on the right track. Speed cost. How fast do you want to go?
Mick/mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Lyle

This Flathead will be in a C Cab T truck on a A frame 36 or38 truck rear end converted to open drive shaft. Juce brakes front and rear . Don't think it will be driven very fast because of the tall flat front wend shield. Woud like to have good quick take off light to light city driving. I do not drag race my stuff. I only have. Fords the only GM product I have is a Eldorado Biarritz. My wife,s Sunday car Lyle.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
ford1

listen to what i and others said, buy the books, the best way to get the power you want the first time
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
19Fordy

ARDUN anyone?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
Lyle

Ardun wish I could spring for that stuff $$$$.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #14
Lyle

38 Coupe I contacted motor city last December and they were not fore sale at that time. I don't see them on the barn yet. I hope they have the new block avalible soon from what I can see the parts on the old stuff might not interchange with the motor city block. Problem to get parts ecept from them.I have not seen parts list yet. Internet stuffv sais SOON when ever that is.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #15
hbleadsled

Lyle, 52 Merc. is right H&H flatheads build you any thing you want, they know flatheads, talk to Mike Herman, ph: 818- 248-2347. they built one for me. they have a lot of extra blocks . Harold, central coast Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
Vergil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
38 Coupe I contacted motor city last December and they were not fore sale at that time. I don't see them on the barn yet. I hope they have the new block avalible soon from what I can see the parts on the old stuff might not interchange with the motor city block. Problem to get parts ecept from them.I have not seen parts list yet. Internet stuffv sais SOON when ever that is.

From the HAMB 8-19-2010-

"Well, Our final version of our fully outfitted, All Aluminum Flathead built and designed my Mark Kirby and Jon Hall....We put it in Mark's 34 ford Motorcity test car and it is being driven as we speak up to the U.P. of michigan and across U.S. 2 across America along with Shadow Rods new L.C.H.C 1927 roadster pick-ups..Version that the Street Rodder Tour truck is built off..Following are some pics of the 339 Cu. In. all Aluminum engine...it is fitted with Ductile sleeves with no leaking ( for all the nay sayers...)SCAT crank.pan has built in crank throw scraper.....I beam rods..etc.etc.. it has a fully redesigned oil pan with built in screw on oil filter or you can use a remote style...has all new redesigned and high volume water pumps....It also has roller lifters custom designed for the new engines....Built in Girdle in the oil pan....The engine will be avalible in a long block design..(you supply the intake and distributor for around $12,000) You can choose from Navarro,edelbrock.our finned or our canadian cheater repops....spider or post style distributor styles..any intake our 2 2barrel or whatever you prefer........"

Vergil
Old 09-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #17
Ol' Ron

A relitively inexpensive engine can be had by buying a stoker crank assy. We recently purchased a 3 5/16 X 4 1/4 for 1700 dollars this 294 ci assy was balanced and includer all rings and bearings. Edelebrock makes a Lo CR head for 600 bucks that is CNC machined. A nice L-100 for 165 and a valve job and for less than the cost of a rebuild you have an axle breaker form the word go.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
flatjack9

I had one of those stroker assemblies. One of the rods had never been honed to size on the big or small end. How well do you think that was balanced?
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #19
Ol' Ron

WOW! I guess it pays to check everything. Buying from a reparable outfit is important. I'm sorry to hear that. Our assy. came from scat. Makes you louse faith in people.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote