Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #21
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: 55 ford column shift problem

Being as how you had to modify (bend) the rods to clear the solenoid one or both are prolly too short now. Suggest you disconnect 'em at the trans, put the levers on the trans in their neutral positions, then adjust the linkage at the bottom of the column so that the clevises are even with each other with the shift lever at the wheel in the neutral position. The rods should hook up the the trans without much drama. If they don't you'll need to lengthen 'em enough to restore the geometry.

Last edited by Dobie Gillis; 07-25-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #22
zoegrant

OK....problem solved it turns out that the problem was due to the fact that the tranny shift rod for 1st/rev was not the correct length....it was off by 1/2" The measurements from the previous tranny that was in the car, from the front of the case to the shift lever was 1/2" difference than the new tranny front of case to 1st/rev shift lever so the shift rod had to be extended 1/2" by using a 5/16 die to add more threads.The adjustment pin that fits into the rubber bushing then could be adjusted to give the proper lenght.......as soon as we discovered this the correction took 20 minutes.....after 10 hours of trying all these different things to solve my shifting issue,the solution turns out to be something simple.
I did learn a lot by trying different things and I did get to replace both rubber bushings.

For all of you who contributed input on my problem, I can`t thank you enough. What A great group..........best regards,John
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #23
Dobie Gillis

It usually is something simple with old cars. The cars are low tech and so are the problems we encounter with them. We're so used to high tech now that we tend to overthink when diagnosing. Glad you found it!
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #24
zoegrant

OK...all is good now,it shifts like it should. The problem was that the shift rod was 1/2" tooshort. This is the original shift rod that was with the 3 speed tranny that was originally in the car. Evidently the original tranny front case was slightly shorter than the overdrive case, causing thhe shift levers to be set back slightly further. Although I could hook the rod up to the shift lever on the tranny that made the position of neutral change enough that it was causing a problem and I had adjusted the linkage on the shifting rod as long as possible but is was still slightly to short causing the tranny to lock up. I removed the threaded adjustment assembly and cut in another 1/2" of threads so it woulld make the rod longer....and it solved the problem.
Thanks to those who responded to my problem. you guys are the best....
the info on this forum makes working with these old cars less frustrating and doable for a shadetree mechanic like myself..........thanks again....John
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote