Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Charles Reese

Default Ammeter Wiring

Ok, admittedly at my advancing age, my eyesight is not what it used to be (and my patience is running a bit thin as well!) Regarding the ammeter … it is my understanding that the driver side post would be considered the ‘negative’ (discharge) post; the passenger side post the ‘positive’ (charge) side.

My first illustration posted below represents, what I believe is the correct wiring diagram … the yellow wire to the driver (-) post; the yellow/black wire to the passenger (+) post.

Somewhere I have scanned/downloaded two other diagrams, which are the genesis of my frustration. I hope they are simply mislabeled and I can delete them into cyberspace. In both of these illustrations the
* yellow wire is shown running to the passenger (+) post
* yellow/black is shown running to the driver (-) post

Since I consider flipping the switch when I enter a room to be an act of personal electrical accomplishment and amazement, and that I don’t want to fry my original early ammeter during that virginal moment when I connect my battery … can someone kindly clarify the ammeter wiring in simple terms (plz don’t just post another diagram!!!) … maybe something insightful like “put the yellow wire on the driver/passenger side post" ...(dont be cute, plz indicate one or the other!!!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #wiring (ok).jpg (34.2 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg #wiring-1 (question).jpg (36.4 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg #wiring-2 (question).jpg (51.4 KB, 155 views)
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Charles Coe

Default Re: Ammeter Wiring

Les Andrew's book shows the yellow wire to the discharge or driver side and the yellow/black to the charge or passenger side.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
700rpm

Getting the wires backwards on the ammeter won't fry your ammeter. It will simply cause a charge to read as a discharge and vice-versa.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 02-09-2013 at 07:10 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
d.j. moordigian

Charles,

1. Look in the Service Bullitions Book...there was a change in the wiring...you should
have the earlier style...I thought it had too do with the coil.?

2. Buy a repop Ammeter for the "test". Ya...I killed my original 45 years ago!

3. Hope your feeling better !
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Marco Tahtaras

All three are wired for a straight pole coil which shows the ignition discharge through the ammeter. The first one has the ammeter backwards.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Charles Reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
All three are wired for a straight pole coil which shows the ignition discharge through the ammeter. The first one has the ammeter backwards.

I am aware of the Nov’29 switch in the red (ignition) & black (coil) wires.

My apologies for my density …. what I am trying to determine is which ammeter posts the yellow and yellow/black wires attach to. If I understand your post correctly (i.e. #1 illustration is wrong), it appears the yellow goes to the passenger side post (+); the yellow/black wire goes to the driver side post (-)

Compounding my confusion is Brattons (catalog) text describing their dash loom. “attach yellow to ammeter discharge and yellow/black to charge post of ammeter” Another diagram I found in an earlier FB post also shows the yellow to the driver (discharge) side. ??? thanks for everyone's patience with me ...
Old 02-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
steve s

Relax, sir.

Like 700rpm said, you're not going to hurt anything if you hook it up backwards. Turn the lights on, or blow the horn, or tap the brakes--if ammeter shows discharge, you're good; if not, reverse your connections to it.

NO ONE would trust a repro ammeter's innards to be put together the same as stock.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Bill, wire it as shown on page 215 in the SERVICE BULLETINS. The yellow wire from the starter terminal goes to the passenger side, as does the yellow wire fron the ammeter. The black coil power wire also goes to the passenger side, but if you want the coil draw to read on the ammeter, just shift the black coil feed wire to the driver's side.

Late in 1929 Ford did move the black wire to the driver's side, and at or about the same time Ford switched the primary coil posts polarity. I do have one original coil that is opposite of all the others, and If I remember right, it was a slant pole with the new primary terminal polarity.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Steve, I'm pretty sure Charles has a good original ammeter, but as you say some ammeters being sold have the terminals reversed, so some people using a repro ammeter may have to switch the wires on the rear of the ammeter to make it show charge when it should.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
Charles Reese

Thanks! this is the simple info i need!!! Yep, original ammeter with early flat bezel ... so dont want to do anything bad to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
... about the same time Ford switched the primary coil posts polarity. I do have one original coil that is opposite of all the others, and If I remember right, it was a slant pole with the new primary terminal polarity.
OK, as if i wasnt confused enough, how do i check for my coil's polarity (or for that matter that is it good). i have the slant pole with the script at top (no oval around it)/AL at bottom.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

The passenger side of the mounted slant pole coil is POSITIVE and gets the red wire, which leads to the ignition switch.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reese View Post
Thanks! this is the simple info i need!!! Yep, original ammeter with early flat bezel ... so dont want to do anything bad to it

OK, as if i wasnt confused enough, how do i check for my coil's polarity (or for that matter that is it good). i have the slant pole with the script at top (no oval around it)/AL at bottom.
I hate to say it, but the "flat bezel" was Model T only. On a positive note you have the correct coil! If what I've read is correct the Model T ammeter has reversed polarity from ours.

Last edited by Marco Tahtaras; 02-09-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Marco Tahtaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #13
Charles Reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
I hate to say it, but the "flat bezel" was Model T only. On a positive note you have the correct coil! If what I've read is correct the Model T ammeter has reversed polarity from ours.
Geez .. turning into an Excedrin night!!!
At least I’m batting 500 with the coil!)

Pg 6-2 (2011 rev) of the JS does state “all ammeters had raised bead next to the glass face”. Guess the search is now on for a proper ammeter, ugh.

Didn’t record the source (probably a club mag article), but my notes have “ve28 with 3/16" wide flat bezel with an open-ended ring shaped permanent magnet fitted to the inner wall of the case (like mine) … sharp edges next to face added Jan28.”

How does one go about identifying the ‘polarity’ of an ammeter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00720_cr.jpg (30.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01863xx.jpg (69.5 KB, 87 views)
Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

The yellow ammeter wire goes to the passenger side, which leads to the battery negative post. Also I can see brass through your ammeter glass, which is common on every repro ammeter I've seen. Ford painted the brass buss bar a flat black so it wouldn't be so visible through the slot in the guage face.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
Charles Reese

Yipes ... i better quit this thread before i step into anything deeper than my knee simple guy with (what i had hoped) simple questions .... thanks for your patience!!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Charles, I just noticed that you also have the red wire on the driver's side, which is correct until the change in late 29.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 02-10-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: corrected information
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Charles, I just noticed that you also have the red wire on the driver's side, instead of the PASSENGER side. Have you checked the coil polarity? Maybe you have one of the rare slants with reverse polarity.

He has it correct. The coil should not read through the ammeter.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
Charles Reese

Quote:
Charles, I just noticed that you also have the red wire on the driver's side, instead of the PASSENGER side. Have you checked the coil polarity? Maybe you have one of the rare slants with reverse polarity.
simple fellow at this end ... how does one accomplish this seemingly simple (to some) task of polarity check?? (i have a Harbor Freight multimeter, but still in the box ... like i said, i consider a light switch a wonder of nature!)

i did the red wire based on pg 390 Service bulletins i.e., 'old hookup' before the Nov 29 change since I'm working on a '28 ... assumed judging would want date appropriate ...
Old 02-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

Yep, you're right Charles. I just looked at page 390 again. I've got to stop posting when I'm tired!

Here is the best thread I've seen on checking coil polarity. Lots of good information and it only takes a few minutes to read it all.

http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/tec...neral/574.html
Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reese View Post
simple fellow at this end ... how does one accomplish this seemingly simple (to some) task of polarity check?? (i have a Harbor Freight multimeter, but still in the box ... like i said, i consider a light switch a wonder of nature!)

i did the red wire based on pg 390 Service bulletins i.e., 'old hookup' before the Nov 29 change since I'm working on a '28 ... assumed judging would want date appropriate ...
Like I said, it's done correctly. Also, the only slant poll coils with reversed polarity were made in late '29 as they were transitioning to the straight poll coils. Since script coils were only made in early '28 there is no question on the polarity.