Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
lance leblanc

Default Re: Body number question

"Frustrated" best describes my feeling.
I had hoped to have some confirmation as to where my Tudor was assembled by now, but it seems as though I have more questions than before. I have searched the web for any information and the best source thus far is what is posted by Dave Sturges and Steve Pluker on their independent sites. I have enjoyed reading about the cars assembled in Canada and the cars sent to all parts of the world. But it's depressing that I can't find more history of my own car.
I don't know why it's so important to me, I'm sure that thousands of A owners have suffered the same realization.

"When Solomon said there was a time and place for everything he had not encountered the problem of parking his automobile." Bob Edwards
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
darrylkmc

If anyone has photos of Model A Body Number Stampings from 1928 or 1929 beginning with KY that you can share for comparison to the one posted by Mr. Leblanc it would be greatly appreciated.

Lance,

As the research on Body Production Numbers are an ongoing and apparently fluid undertaking, many of us share your frustration. Much information has been shared as a result of you starting this thread, and I am in hopes that more facts will come to light.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lance Leblanc 1929 Tudor KY348497.jpg (33.2 KB, 16 views)
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #23
lance leblanc

Thanks Darryl,
I found out today what was wrong, I have had a solid week of working out of town with these darn numbers slamming around in my head the entire time with nothing more than the web and a key board to occupy my free time.
Today however was the ansewer. I spent it reassembling the chassis and making ready for the new engine to arrive next weekend AIEEE!!!
After posting this mornings comments, I got a ton acomplished and never again thought about where the car came from only where it is going.

"When Solomon said there was a time and place for everything he had not encountered the problem of parking his automobile." Bob Edwards
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #24
darrylkmc

Lance,

It sounds like you are on the right track, it's the driving and enjoyment of the Model A that is my primary goal.

I also find satisfaction in the research of the origins and originality of my A's, and there is nothing wrong with this, as long as it doesn't hold you up from the primary goal.

Whenever posts such as yours come up, I try to jog memories and gather information from fellow enthusiasts. Neither the owners nor the cars are getting any younger and information is being lost everyday.

Keep us informed with your progress and I a certain that you will have plenty of good times ahead.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Just as a point of interest, you can see my body number is partially under the seat riser on my 1928 Phaeton, so at least the Twin Cities plant stamped the body number before the body was completed. It looks like someone bent the riser back a little to get the full number to show.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #26
stainless steve

My 29 sport coupe (50A) has #s as follows ,but no#s are present on gas tank ( sandblasted clean ) ..Engine and frame ..A1427776....body SFA6946 and its upside down like people were saying the Denver body #s are..The engine breaks down to4-22-29 from Atlanta plant I think, but body I dont know. I was told it was bought used in California ,but who knows
stainless steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless steve View Post
My 29 sport coupe (50A) has #s as follows ,but no#s are present on gas tank ( sandblasted clean ) ..Engine and frame ..A1427776....body SFA6946 and its upside down like people were saying the Denver body #s are..The engine breaks down to4-22-29 from Atlanta plant I think, but body I dont know. I was told it was bought used in California ,but who knows
Now, just what makes you think that the 4-22-29 engine, A1427776, is from the "Atlanta plant"?...Boy, if we all knew just where all these engines went after being shipped out of Dearborn we would all be in HOG HEAVEN! You just got through saying that you do not know where the "body" came from..."SFA" means "San Francisco Assembly" Plant...so what you were told is correct...California.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #28
stainless steve

Pluck ..You are right..months ago when learning the engine #s I confused the A on the engine with the body # making the A prefix on the engine Atlanta and after getting the other numbers together was working of old info.. I stand corrected
stainless steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #29
2manycars

I checked my tudor for a body number and it is 10766. There are no letter before the number. The car is an early 29, with a 1-10-29 gas tank date. It has been in Connecticut for at least 40 years, but no clue before that.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #30
Joop

Mine is same as Bill (2manycars).
My 1931 Coupe was sold new in Upstate NY (Upper Jay)
It has 4 numbers 7513 (stamped in right side floor rail) but no letters.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6884.JPG (110.3 KB, 13 views)
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #31
2manycars

So I wonder what plant did not identify itself with letters. Could that have been the main plant in Dearborn?
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote