Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Desert Toad

Default Star packing nut on water pump

My water developed quite a leak the other day, draining all it could on my garage floor. According to the mechanic handbook, there should be a star packing nut to tighten things up. All I have is a collar with an Allen head set screw in it. I haven't been able to loosen it, afraid I might strip it out. Was this a normal thing, or did someone grabbed whatever would work once upon a time?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.2 KB, 91 views)
Desert Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Star packing nut on water pump

THIS is an aftermarket water pump seal. Seemingly held by a shaft collar. Likely the rubber lip seal is finally kaput and you've blown your water pump.

The solution is rebuild the pump. Pretty cheaply done if you want to buy the parts kit from many of the Model A vendors. Think less than $40 for all new parts INCLUDING the aforementioned "star packing nut." (This actually a packing gland with it's external arranged to take a spanner wrench - although most Model A folks frequently use a screwdrive to "pry" the gland tighter.)

You can buy completed pumps in original style that are around $90 now. Or a "deluxe" pump incorporating a modern lip seal and bearings for around $150. But nothing beats the pleasure in doing your own pump, which can be done pretty easily once the radiator is removed and the four bolts undone.

And despite the improvements in "modern" pumps, the original design was perfectly adequate. I have done both.

Good luck with this. If you can get some more pix of your aftermarket pump as you disassemble, we would all appreciate it. Knowing the Model A is not only knowing how it came from Ford, but also knowing all about the "other" stuff.

It's AMAZING how many things were "improved" on the Model A in the aftermarket.

Joe K
Old 02-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
AL in NY

That looks like a jury-rigged water pump. I would take it off and build it correctly and you shouldn't have any more problems. The leakless pumps work quite well.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
columbiA

Rebuild the pump to its original configuration & it will be a leakless pump.If it does leak a bit after many thousand miles,it will only need the packing nut tightened up a notch or 2 to stop the leak.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Desert Toad

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Well, as I was trying to loosen that locking collar with some P oil and tapping around and around with a small hammer, the leaked completely stopped. Proof that sometimes all you need is a bigger hammer.

I'll be ordering what I need so I'll have it in my shop when the leak starts up again.

It's nice to have a vehicle that parts are readily available. Such is not the case for my old International Pickup. :-)

Thanks for the insight!
Desert Toad is offline   Reply With Quote