Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
christian

Default learn from my mistake

I recently installed a Nu Rex centrifugal timing device as I was always curious about them. I then set out to time the engine but couldn't find my hand crank. I was in a rush and eager to try out the centrifugal timing device so I got out an extra long screw driver, almost as large as a pry bar and stuck it in the crank pulley to rotate the engine. I pulled harder and harder but it wouldn't budge, finally i put all my weight into it and boom, the crank pulley cracked apart. Turns out i forgot the car was in gear and the wheels were blocked.....

be gentle to your crank pulleys please.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: learn from my mistake

Hi Christian,

Few are brave enough as you are to humbly admit the mistakes we all made in life that taught us valuable lessons.

Thanks for sharing this most valuable Model A lesson.

I'm sure everybody has had a real valuable mistake experience -- mine are too many to mention.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

I've learned a LOT from my mistakes/screw ups & I NEVER FORGET them!!
I like it when others ADMIT their mistakes, 'cause WE can learn from them also! Bill W.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
SDJason

Trick I learned from Tom Wesenberg - use the starter to get close to TDC, then put the car into gear (I use 2nd, 3rd was a bit too tough for me), and rock the car back & forth, while pushing in on the timing pin - the engine will crank slowly; as soon as you feel the pin go in, STOP rocking. Also is a bit easier if the spark plugs removed.

I pretty much HAVE to do this, as my engine is about 1/4" offset to one side, making it impossible to crank by hand.
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Jim/GA

Ah, yes!

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

Also tried to use the fan once and broke a blade off! Oops! (don't do that)

Now I use the crank or starter to get close (watch the rotor as it comes around) then I use a wrench I have that fits over the crank pulley nut. It lets you move the crank both ways, so that you can really feel the pin drop into the little hole in the timing gear. Much better.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Willie Krash

I think we learn more from our mistakes than we do our successes.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
tudoor

My motto is if it ain't done twice it ain't done right!
tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
MrTube

My great grandfather used to say "If you're not making mistakes you're not doing anything". Everyone makes mistakes and those who claim they don't just lie.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
marc hildebrant

On a hot Colorado day, I filled up my gas tank and tried to get the gas to be "just below" the top of the tank.

Just as I had the tank "topped off", the cold gas started to expand and poured out of the top of the tank !
A stream of gas, went down into the engine area via the space around the hood.

Why it did not burn is a mystery to me.

DO NOT TOP OFF THE TANK!

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Growley bear

My turn.
While checking a no start problem for a club member one day, I found that the weber carb accelerator pump was inoperative. After getting fuel into the carbonator we decided to check the spark plugs etc. A new set was there, never out of the box so we decided to replace them. I had never heard this engine run so had no idea how it would run. Started it up and had a miss and in general ran terrible.
I have tuned up many engines and have NEVER had a sparkplug come out of the box with the gap closed. Well, that all changed, after checking everything else I finally back tracked to the spark plugs. #1 & 2& 4 were properly gapped number three was completely closed. The smallest detail assumed correct can cause a lot of embarrassment. Just because it didn't happen in fifty or so years; I anything can go wrong it will and usually while every one is looking.
Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Logan

I guess you old fellas can't turn the motor over with your hand by grabbing the crank pulley with your hand and turning it.... Some of us young guys still have the grip to be able to do it. But I bet I can't keep it up to long. I'm gettin to the point where when I get done at work everyday my hands and wrist are hurting, and even though I'm only 20 I've learned you don't get off the ground as quickly as you use to when you were a kid.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I guess you old fellas can't turn the motor over with your hand by grabbing the crank pulley with your hand and turning it.... Some of us young guys still have the grip to be able to do it. But I bet I can't keep it up to long. I'm gettin to the point where when I get done at work everyday my hands and wrist are hurting, and even though I'm only 20 I've learned you don't get off the ground as quickly as you use to when you were a kid.
wow your wearing out quick,, time to start working out and try some one a day vitamins

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-08-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
GEEZ! Logan, You're ONLY 20! Oh, to be 20 agin'-----WATCH OUT GIRLS! At 77, I wonder how I got SO ooold, SO QUICK!
Observation: When doing car stuff & talkin' B.S. stuff, I never even think about an age difference in the conversations. It's like a "bridge" between generations. And if I can make sumone laff or feel good or feel "important" then I've done something to make this GOOFY world a little better of a place to reside in!
Once I smiled & waved to a strange man in my "hood" Much later, he waved me over, "I was having a TERRIBLE day when you smiled & waved one day. Won't go into details, but you MADE my day, thanks" Bill W.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
Fred
BANNED

Next time, Take the plugs out first..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
glenn in camino

A lot of what I've learned about Model As was learned by fixing my mistakes
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #16
Russ B

Quote:
That is exactly how I always did it back in the early 1960s as a teenager. After two rotator cuff surgeries, I would not even try nowadays.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
james hitchcock

I don't know what I was thinking one time checking for a good spark. I was having trouble getting Ol Walter to start. I had at one point got him flooded, then stupidly decided to check the spark by touching the coil wire to the top of one of the plugs. Wow I got spark ! I also blew the skin off my muffler !
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
bobbycoke

You did not make a mistake..........You just found a way that WOULD NOT WORK...... bobbycoke
bobbycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycoke View Post
You did not make a mistake..........You just found a way that WOULD NOT WORK...... bobbycoke
Yo, Brother Bob, On point type ignition, ONLY, Chief would poke his finger in the coil tower or on the plugs or on the straps to check for spark. I NEVER could do that!! He COULDN'T do that on ELECTRONIC ignition, though.
He also could ground out 1 cylinder at a time, with his fingers, 'til he had it runnin' on just 1 cylinder, then he'd KILL it & LAFF!!! Bill W.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #20
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Yo, Brother Bob, On point type ignition, ONLY, Chief would poke his finger in the coil tower or on the plugs or on the straps to check for spark. I NEVER could do that!! He COULDN'T do that on ELECTRONIC ignition, though.
He also could ground out 1 cylinder at a time, with his fingers, 'til he had it runnin' on just 1 cylinder, then he'd KILL it & LAFF!!! Bill W.
cmon dad thats nuthin i do it all the time it feels good. must be in the blood
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote