Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #21
felix37

Default Re: Bad reproduction window channel kit?

My, friend just got his window channel kits a few days ago,We opened the box yesterday and inspected the felts, in almost all of the tight inside corners the material had allready started to pull away showing the threads of fabric being over streched from the metal frame. I agree with dick, I believe the fuzzies used by these companies are not meant to be bent in such a drastic manner,maybe they need to re-look this component and see if the fuzzies could be assembled with an elastic type cloth?? Oh, and by the way neither box had any type of instructions??
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #22
GreenMonster48

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix37 View Post
My, friend just got his window channel kits a few days ago,We opened the box yesterday and inspected the felts, in almost all of the tight inside corners the material had allready started to pull away showing the threads of fabric being over streched from the metal frame. I agree with dick, I believe the fuzzies used by these companies are not meant to be bent in such a drastic manner,maybe they need to re-look this component and see if the fuzzies could be assembled with an elastic type cloth?? Oh, and by the way neither box had any type of instructions??
If you explore the Dennis Carpenter catalog online for the 48-56 trucks (PDF version of the actual catalog) There is detailed instruction on how to install the kit towards the end of the catalog. The principals should apply to just about every vehicle. Might be worth a look.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #23
Bob Drake Repro

We’ve put a ton of research into each one of our window channel kits. We were the first to hand laminate the proper fuzz type pile into the deep metal “U” channels that go inside the door for 1934-40. In 1932 and 1933 the front channel is molded rubber with a smooth cloth material glued on. The upper glass edge of the door in 1933 is sponge rubber molded to the deep “U” channel, we do ours the same way. Some other makers during this time used Velcro material in this area, which is totally wrong. We found the original company that makes the “high-pile fuzzies” around the window openings. This is the same company that supplied Ford from the beginning (yup, they’re still in business). Dick Spadaro was right in his comments about the stress being put in the areas where this material is bent. Early on, we noticed this as well and we add instructions about relieving the cloth in these areas like this:

We have not had any feedback about the material fading before seeing it on this forum, but are checking with the company to see if they have any suggestions. Everything fades in the sun though, decks, house paint, dashboards… you name it. Any other problems, please let us know and we’ll do our best to get it taken care of.

Bob
Bob Drake Repro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #24
Kahuna

Thanks for that great bit of info, Bob. I, for one, appreciate it
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #25
felix37

thanks everyone for the posts in this matter,especially Bob Drake! I think we are all a little more informed on the process and procedures that go into the glass runs and widow felts.we all can make a better educated choice on who's kits we will buy in the future and some helpful tips to make the installation go a little easier and look a little better.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #26
okiedokie

Thanks to Dick Spadaro and Bob Drake for the enlightenment.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #27
slantback37

I just bought a new kit. Can someone just tell me where they go?? I would like to see a pic or two of where each of the cats whiskers are located.. I figure one is screwed to the body of the door.. Now where does the other one go?? Thanks..
slantback37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #28
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry-ct View Post
I bought mine from LMC and when they arrived, they were in a Vintique box. It also said, made in USA on it. I had to trim the ends like the old ones and add the push clips to the pieces. My doors on my truck have a recess on the top edge that you use to close the doors ( no arm rests ) and these parts were not the same curve as the recesses. I am very dissappointed in the kit. THe channels that the glass rides in were very good, but the horizontal fuzzies were crap! I will have to re-do the fuzzies again I'm sure. Maybe I should send them the old ones for a pattern!!

Barry

50 F-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster48 View Post
I just did mine this summer....well one side at least. It was such a pain I didn't want to do the other side. The clips on the horizontal fuzzies WOULD NOT stay in. Similar experience though. Extreme disappointment. Was looking forward to doing that job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster48 View Post
If you explore the Dennis Carpenter catalog online for the 48-56 trucks (PDF version of the actual catalog) There is detailed instruction on how to install the kit towards the end of the catalog. The principals should apply to just about every vehicle. Might be worth a look.
I went round and round with Dennis C's customer service folks on the beltline felts for my '52. Out of the box, the fuzzies were pulling out of the metal edging at the rear where there is a kick-up. It is clearly caused by bending straight material into a curve.

While I was on the phone with them, they pulled some from stock and looked at them. They swore they were fine. Sent me new ones (free) and when they arrived, they were pulling apart. Plus as noted the clips are crap. I just got new clips from Vintique, they appear to be actual real metal, not tuna can metal, and I've heard they work well. We'll see....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Window felts 003.jpg (95.3 KB, 86 views)
Old 11-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #29
theHIGHLANDER

I just started bending up the stock I got for the moldings on my 39 Std Tudor. The ones I'm using are metal on both edges, rubber behind the felt surface. This task is a real PITA to pull off nice, and I may look at the relief cut idea for the bends, especially the big one at the front. The 90 deg bends in the back aren't too hateful to do but still pretty challenging. Film at 11:00...
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #30
flatheadv8

I bought the rear kit for my 39 tudor std from Drake as well. I had some questions and they were helpful when I called. Mine did have the instructions to cut and re-glue if necessary. I used 3M Super 90..I think, where needed. Will verify this tonight. The driver side took me all day. The little staples are a pain in the butt, but are doable. I used a drill with a 1/16 bit to make the holes in the new felt strips.

Thank you to Bob Drake for the info. above.

Biggest problem I had was how to get the window back in right. Cant seem to get the post that sticks out of the window track to hook on to anything. Window wants to tip in at the top when it is rolled down. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Jeremy
flatheadv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #31
Big Shark

Has anyone called LaBarron Bonney, or got any from them? Bruce
Big Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #32
Scott H in Wheaton

Time to order window channel kit for my 36 pickup.

It seems like Bob Drake is the way to go?

Definitely won't try anything Vintique..already got a few parts from other suppliers that contained Vintique labels inside and sorely disappointed.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #33
Brian

Has anyone tried the window felt kits from Steele Rubber Co?
Old 03-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #34
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
Time to order window channel kit for my 36 pickup.

It seems like Bob Drake is the way to go?

Definitely won't try anything Vintique..already got a few parts from other suppliers that contained Vintique labels inside and sorely disappointed.
Double check with Drake as most if not all V-8 parts suppliers get these kits from Vintique.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #35
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Double check with Drake as most if not all V-8 parts suppliers get these kits from Vintique.
See post #23 above on this thread...looks like Bob Drake makes their own
Old 03-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #36
thirt4

When restoring my coupe, I had these very same problems. Channels from Vintique.
I went online and either here on FB or Early V8 Club, I found a couple of nice gentlemen that sold me spare originals they had.
I made the quick decision to buy from them and have never regretted it. The originals are perfect and work correctly.
Good luck on getting anything made in China to work very long.
thirt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #37
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
See post #23 above on this thread...looks like Bob Drake makes their own
Double check on that, because the last ones I got from Drake were Vintique. Bought them about 6 months ago.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #38
FrankWest

I try to avoid Vintique at all costs! I would rather make my own parts than use Vintique.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:13 PM   #39
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Double check on that, because the last ones I got from Drake were Vintique. Bought them about 6 months ago.
Thanks...I sent them a message.
Trying to avoid the headaches everyone else seems to be having with Vintique, or is it Junktique?
Old 03-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #40
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix37 View Post
The Sad thing is there is a big sticker on the box that says Made in the USA !!!
Maybe they were bulk made in Peru shipped to the US and packaged in the US and labeled made in the USA...The package that is, not the contents.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote