Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Adam/Mill Valley CA

Default Optima 6V battery quality?

Any thoughts on quality of current Optima 6V batteries, apparently now made in Mexico? My local Batteries Plus says they've stopped carrying them due to quality concerns. Anybody have experience with one purchased over the past 1-2 years?

Thanks,

Adam
1970 911E 2.2 litre dark blue/black
1968 BMW R50/2 US, black (m'cycle)
1967 Triumph TR6R , sea foam/cream (m'cycle)
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 red (m'cycle)
1974 Honda CB750 red (m'cycle)
2000 Kawasaki W650 blue/silver (m'cycle)
Adam/Mill Valley CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
50fordcoupeman

Default Re: Optima 6V battery quality?

I have run into the same battery quality problems here too. I have always used AC Delco batteries because of their quality but as of late I have them fail around the 30-36 month life span. I was told by a GM dealer that they are lucky to get 3 yrs out of their new car batteries. Also I have had same problem with RV batteries. Used to get 6-7 yrs battery life and now 3 yrs. For some reason battery quality has gone south on us big time. I would guess environmental regs has something to do with this??
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
19Fordy

I think you might want to consider a 6V battery that is less expensive than Optima.
I Googles" Where to buy 6V car battery and found this as well as others that might work for you.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...FQYdaQodqdUIuA
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Ken/Alabama

I replaced the one in my 40 this past October. The old one had been in there 8 years and would still start the car but it was getting slow. The new one works great so far.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
FireEngineMike

Napa carries 6-volt batteries. Mine has worked fine for three years. Napaonline.com. Looks like the closest to Mill Valley is in San Rafael.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
deuce_roadster

I doubt environmental regs have anything to do with using cheaper parts that don't last as long to build something like a battery. Cost of chrome plating- sure, responsible disposal of the waste costs more and the environmental regs are in play there.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Shoebox

I installed one 6 months ago in my 39 Merc, really like how it spins over. Time will tell regarding it's longevity.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
HDowse

I have also had very good luck with NAPA batteries. During the cold winter months I put a charger on them the first of each month. I check the water level in the spring and late fall. My oldest 6v battery is in my 1928 Model A pickup and is eight years old, still holds a charge. NAPA Group 1 battery, about $95.
HDowse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
jagnweiner

Put an optima 6v in my Merc this fall. Cranks over substantially better than the wet cell that was in there, but then I guess that's why you get a new battery, isn't it? Long term durability is still too early to tell, but so far I'm very pleased. I think I ordered mine from Speedway or maybe Amazon. Wherever it was, it was quite a bit cheaper than I could get it locally.

'47 Mercury Convertible
'25 Dodge Bros. Touring Car
'63 MG Midget
jagnweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #10
Adam/Mill Valley CA

Thanks for the responses. I really can't complain too much about the flooded batteries I've been using, this last one from Napa lasted about 5 years-just thought I would inquire about the Optima since they seem so popular

Adam
Old 02-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #11
koates

Optima batteries are still very good. Have them in five cars. The oldest optima is now eighteen years old and still starts my 1988 Toyota Hi-Lux ute OK. Have a six volt one in my 34 Ford for three years and it cranks really well. All that I have had lasted longer than 10 years. Some of the stories about faulty optima batteries are just hogwash and were sour grapes because manufacturing moved to Mexico and took some USA jobs away. Many emergency services use them in their Fire engines, Ambulances, etc because of their sustained power and no maintenance required. Like anything man has ever built, you can get a faulty one occasionlly. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
Floyd

Optima batteries are way different than the traditional flooded lead acid batteries. You can not compare the two on any level. Flooded batteries can be cheap, Optima's are not. Flooded have a lifetime until the sulphate builds up, usually from allowing them to run down from storage, Optima's do not exhibit these characteristics. Optim's have a lot of cranking ability even at a low state of charge, much faster than flooded cells. Optima's do not look like traditional batteries and do not fit any of the battery trays in our old Fords. You have to deal with that yourself.
I have Optima's in my 32 and 40 and they are in old Ford script battery cases that I reworked. The 32 was really hard. Great batteries, last a long time and they will really spin a good starter under all kinds of conditions. (good starters is a whole 'nother discussion) Terrific for starting batteries in my opinion.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #13
Marcus

Dr. Adam: I have Optimas in all 14 of my antiques; the oldest is from 2005 (the 47 in the Avatar). I have had zero issues and was fortunate to catch most of them on special through Amazon.com (Prime) which gives me free shipping. Hope this is helpful.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Since the original question is regarding experiences with Optima batteries, I'll have to say that most all of mine have been positive experiences with those purchased in the last 10 years. In 2007 I purchased my first Optima 6V Red Top to replace a very expensive 2LF Ford Script 6V repro conventional lead acid battery I had purchased from Antique Auto Batteries that only lasted about 2 years. I bought another Optima 6V in 2010 and a third one in 2013. Then in 2015 I bought two 12V Optima's for our modern vehicles. The 6V versions spin these old Flathead engines as if they were 12V. I really like the no maintenance and no corrosion features of these Optima's.
The one problem I did have with a 6V Red Top was a deep discharge on my first one when I forgot to turn my lights off. I tried to bring the charge back up with maintenance trickle charger, and when that wouldn't work I thought the battery was ruined. After finding out about the correct procedure for doing this charge, I brought it back to life with a full charge. I think they are great batteries and never plan to buy another conventional lead acid battery.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-11-2017 at 07:53 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:20 AM   #15
Drbrown

Google the word "Optima" and see many comments. The standard acid cell 12v battery in our family car lasted 13 years, but then again it was drive some almost every day.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #16
Adam/Mill Valley CA

Lots of positive comments, I think I'll try the Optima. Summit seems to have the best price. Thanks again to all for the input

Adam
Old 02-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam/Mill Valley CA View Post
Lots of positive comments, I think I'll try the Optima. Summit seems to have the best price. Thanks again to all for the input

Adam
Check prices at Amazon. I found they had the lowest price + free shipping. Keep in mind you will probably need to do something a little different on their mounting. I made a mounting box that bolts in place in the stock battery box of my '35 fordor, that requires no modifications to the original mounting. I can convert back to the stock battery mounting in ~ 10 minutes if/when I wanted to do that. If you do a search on this board for "Optima" it should bring up several old threads with pics on how many of us have mounted these batteries.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 02-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #18
vwfinatic273

Optima is what I run in mine. Love it

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
vwfinatic273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #19
tubman

The deal with Optima batteries is the same as a lot of things today; a lot of people like to advance conspiracy theories; one guy posts it on the internet, and it gains a life of it's own. From my experience, they are one of the best things you can do to make your early Ford V8 driving experience the best it can be. My first one lasted 13 years, and the second one (made in Mexico), is on it's third year, as strong as ever.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #20
Paul Bennett

I also bought at Amazon for $112. I heard Optima were prone to damage of the cell couplers at the top and Optima enlarged the space above the cells for a better cell to cell connection. Hence the newer Optimas are slightly taller. I recall 1/4" was the amount. I was pleased that my battery was shipped with a fantastic piece of foam around both top and bottom of the battery. As could be expected, while there was some bubble wrap in the package, the battery was 'floating' in too large a cardboard box, but was fully protected by the foam. So I no longer have fears.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

Here is the mounting I made, as mentioned in post #17, when putting an Optima 6V Red Top battery in my '35 fordor. It's nothing beautiful, just very functional for what I wanted. I really didn't care to go through the trouble and expense of hiding it in a script case because it's pretty much out of sight anyway under the floor. I had salvaged a couple strips of stainless U channel from a demolition site that just happened allow the Optima to fit perfectly, and all the other pieces were also laying around my shop. I'll also try to find the links to some other threads that show some different mounting ideas.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...Optima+Battery
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg attachment-205.jpeg (65.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpeg attachment-144.jpeg (59.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpeg attachment-164.jpeg (60.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpeg attachment-65.jpeg (50.9 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-13-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #22
OptimaJim

Hello, I noticed your conversation involving our products and wanted to offer some clarification on some of the questions and concerns that have been raised. First and foremost, the quality of our products has always been excellent and the batteries we are producing today are the best we have ever made. Many of the "bad" batteries returned to us under warranty now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly-recharged.

If any battery is going to fail because of a manufacturing issue, it will likely do so well within the first month of use, if not the first few days. Beyond that, battery performance and lifespan is largely tied to how a battery is used and maintained. Newer vehicles with OnStar and other systems that stay active when the engine is off are more demanding on batteries than ever before. That also makes a quality battery maintenance device an excellent investment for any vehicle that doesn't see regular use.

The next retail associate who sits in on a meeting with us regarding a possible retail partnership will be the first. Many years ago, we discontinued a relationship with another retailer, who wanted to private-label our products. We never re-brand or re-spec our products for any of our retail partners, so we were willing to lose that business on that point alone. Another manufacturer who was willing to make changes to their products received that business. The Internet erupted with false theories that equated the replacement battery as being higher quality and our products as being lower, while ignoring whether private-labeling was even an issue.

Fast forward a few years later, the retailer changed their mind, the replacement battery is no longer offered at that retailer, but our branded products are once again. Now what? Did the other manufacturer's quality decline, did our quality improve or was there some other unrelated factor? I wouldn't get too hung up on theories, speculation or even statistical sample sizes that range from "me and my buddies" to "everyone I know." The manufacturers who have been in the market for years are all knowledgeable about what it takes to make a quality product. I would be surprised if any established manufacturer tried to pull a fast one in terms of quality with any of their retail partners.

The external dimensions of our 6-volt product has changed and the lid is now taller than it was previously. This was the result of adding venting provisions for an OE application. As a result, our 6-volt batteries may no longer fit inside period-correct appearing boxes, but that probably wasn't on anyone's radar when they were dealing with an OE contract, as the incremental OE volume was the primary driver in that decision.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
OptimaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #23
tubman

Thank you, Jim for coming on here and explaining this. From what I have seen, the manufacturers of Optima batteries have always been willing to "step up" and handle things in an appropriate manner. It would be a better world if all vendors of products such as this would do the same.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:34 AM   #24
Graeme / New Zealand

I just use a regular lead/acid battery of the heaviest duty i can find in 6v and use that in conjunction with one of these charger/maintainers. Battery always charged and never fails me. http://www.saveabattery.com/.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:04 AM   #25
cordbob

I have had continual problems with Optima battery their quality seems to have gone down hill now that they are imported I would suggest you look at Odyssey Battery all United States military vehicles used Odyssey batteries made in America
cordbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #26
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordbob View Post
I have had continual problems with Optima battery their quality seems to have gone down hill now that they are imported I would suggest you look at Odyssey Battery all United States military vehicles used Odyssey batteries made in America
Can you give us all the details on the exact problems you have had with Optima batteries??

Old 02-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #27
Adam/Mill Valley CA

Thank you, John, for all of the mounting tips; the PO of my truck already welded in an extension to the battery area to allow for a taller battery. Nowhere near as elegant as your solution, but functional enough to allow for a taller battery under the floor.And thank you Mr McIlvaine for your input, it's nice to see manufacturers' representatives responding on these kinds of forums. Insofar as Odyssey batteries, I do have one on my '67 Triumph motorcycle, which vibrates "slightly more" than a Ford V-8,and it has served very well; quite a bit more expensive than other batteries though. Not sure they make a 6V auto battery, either.

Adam
Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 AM   #28
OptimaJim

I would also be interested in hearing more about cordbob's issues. His claim that our military single-sources batteries from one manufacturer is completely false. I would encourage anyone considering a battery purchase to review the warranty terms & conditions of any battery they are considering. Some brands will void their warranty if the battery is not charged and maintained within a very specific voltage range or the battery's voltage is found to be below a minimum level. Optima doesn't have such exclusions in their warranty, but it's better to know those types of things before making a purchase.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
OptimaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #29
Brendan

my Model A Roadster had a Optma in it. it ws in there when i bought the car. it was 10 years old. when i weBatterys to replace it i went to Interstate Battery. there was a guy there that said that one lasted a long time. but he also said that he used to buy optma for his tractors and equipment. but not any more. they don't last as long as the did in the past. i bought a rebuilt 12 volt for 45 bucks, if i get 3 years out of it i will be happy. i have allways bought the second from the bottom in battery's

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #30
supereal

My Optimas have lasted an average of 6-8 years.If you get less, it is likely due to either a high charging rate in your car, or a common charger used. I use the Battery Tender with mine and leave it on during storage. They are available for about thirty bucks. Mine came from Costco. You can check the Optima web site for more info.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote