Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
holdover

Default Ebay model A

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Ford-M...8:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Said to have a 20K paint job, Pics look nice not completely original but bids are over 29K so some want it.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
JOHN CT

Default Re: Ebay model A

What’s on the oil fill tube? Is that something to slow down blow by? Seams like a nice A tho in pictures.
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN CT View Post
What’s on the oil fill tube? Is that something to slow down blow by? Seams like a nice A tho in pictures.
Yes, The old Paper Towel Trick to save your Firewall Etc..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Over all looks realy nice. Noticed what looks like rust in the bottom of the Sediment Bowl and an extra inline gas filter - rust in the gas tank? The lower radiator hose looks funky at the radiator, but the block inlet coolant hose looks brand new - kinda strange.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
Clem Clement

What is the wire/switch on the shift lever and the wire down the fuel line/roll over cut off?
Nice looker!!
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #6
barnstuf

The description indicates headlights, cowl lights and tail lights were rechrome plated. These parts are stainless steel, not chrome plated. The non authentic alternator does not allow the fan belt to align properly with the water pump so there will be excessive wear on the fan belt. The top bow support behind the drivers shoulder lacks the small "T Bar" normally in the wood piece. I could go on, and I feel it is a nice restoration but not a high point car. The under the hood performance add ons boost the owners cost and their cost is not likely to be recovered in the ultimate sale price. A plain jane authentic restoration will sell quickly as buyers want their own choice of accessories, not another persons choice.

MARC member 65 years, MAFCA member 60 years, Model A owner 81 years.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
redmodelt

All that money and they didn't restore the speedometer! LOL I think the switch on the gear shift lever is the turn signal switch. NICE car?
Old 12-17-2018, 12:50 AM   #8
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
What is the wire/switch on the shift lever and the wire down the fuel line/roll over cut off?
Nice looker!!

Check out this recent string, post # 5.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256230

Probably is a cable conversion to shift a Mitchell overdrive. The listing mentions it has a Mitchell, however the A is lacking the typical shifter for the Mitchell.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:54 AM   #9
redmodelt

The Mitchell over drive uses a cable attached to the lever, that is just a wire. The ad says it has a Mitchell transmission, not overdrive.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:11 AM   #10
davehc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Nice looker!!

May be for the turn signals . This is freaky , because I made a switch mount identical to that one when I first put my turn signals in my car , and mounted same place . I later moved the switch up just below the steering wheel .
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #11
ronn

now lets see if the seller gets paid..............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #12
slammin

I have seen many first class restorations as well as cars equipped as this 31 listed on ebay and elsewhere for less money than the current bid, go unsold. Lets hope this is an indication of general increase in Model A values. But I'm not holding my breath.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
old31

The switch is a directional light switch manufactured by "Ticken Through Time" hidden switch system

I hid my switch under the left side of the dash instead of the stick shift install. It didnt make sense to me to have a hidden system and have the switch visible.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
I have seen many first class restorations as well as cars equipped as this 31 listed on ebay and elsewhere for less money than the current bid, go unsold. Lets hope this is an indication of general increase in Model A values. But I'm not holding my breath.

More to the point, ...how many cars have you seen sell directly thru eBay? From my experience, very, VERY few do. These days, a Buyer travels to view the car in-person and a sales deal is generally made outside of eBay. Most Sellers never report the sale to eBay, -so using sold sales as a benchmark is not very accurate.

To the other comments regarding seeing cars sell for less, ...this is one of the most difficult things for any looker or potential buyer to understand. You can place two restored Model-As side-by-side, and there can be $20k difference in costs to make them truly equal. They both can look equally pretty but one will stop well and the other one won't, -one will run well and one will be low on compression. The same can be said for good vs. bad steering, transmission & rear end noises, and the like. Matter of fact, one can have a rusted gas tank and still look very pretty on the outside. My point is, wouldn't it be a fair statement to say that you guys making these 'arm chair appraisals' really have no idea of what something is worth unless YOU can physically inspect and drive the car enough to make a proper evaluation to know everything there is about the car?

As to the vehicle in the eBay listing, the above applies. Having a very well respected name in the street rod industry to be the advisor for such a vehicle in the restoration world is not always the most prudent thing if someone is looking for authenticity however without a thorough inspection of this vehicle, you just never know. Oh, and yes the costs for nicely restored Model-A vehicles ARE going up. The costs for parts & labor have risen and so it is about perceived value. If a novice hobbyist purchases a 'poorly restored' Model-A Roadster for $15k that does not Start, Stop, & Steer well, -and then must have those deficiencies professionally repaired, it is easy for them to spend an additional $20k or more having the vehicle repaired/restored to a reliable & safe condition. At that time, spending $30k for a higher quality vehicle is the better value in most novices eyes.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:40 PM   #15
37 Coupe

This particular Model A has been on Ebay off and on since at least July when I started looking for a roadster. I think at one time the reserve or buy it now was close to $40,000.I will be surprised if it is not sold again even if there is no reserve this time.One that I had my eye on sold about 5 times and next thing you know shows up again. This is either top bidder not serious enough to follow through or what is more common is self bidding. Last June before I was looking seriously another roadster did not do much or at least what the seller wanted until the very end each time.Each time it appeared to be the same bidder .Seller gave a phone number so I did call late June or July to ask about the car and why it keeps selling but never gets paid for and appears again''''''''''''click
Old 12-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #16
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
I view the comparably low prices of the model A as a positive thing.