Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Daves55Sedan

Default '55 rear axle shaft seal removal

What tool is the best for removing a mid '50's Ford rear axle shaft seal. This would be typical probably for all of the '50's Ford rear axles including the wagon integral type housings.
I have looked at some of the three-pronged expandable type slide-hammer tools offered and don't see how the end fittings hold to the seal. Maybe, but I don't want to spend over $100 on a tool that won't do the job. There is another type that jokers use at repair shops that looks like a "T". You would need to muscle the seal out bit-by-bit and I fear that it may cause scoring of the axle housing bore.
Any suggestions??? Mfg and part number? Where sold???
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
bobss396

Default Re: '55 rear axle shaft seal removal

I use the end of the axle. Hook the end under the lip of the seal and give it a quick pry. It usually comes out in 1 shot.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Ole Don

Auto Zone will sell you one, then buy it back in 24 hours.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The expandable pullers are usually purchased as a set like the OTC 981 blind hole puller set. They start as small as 5/16" and get larger in stepped size increments up to 1 3/4". They come with both a slide hammer and a U bar puller with a jack screw threaded stud. The complete set is expensive but a person may be able to purchase piece parts separately in the size range they need. They simply have an extended lip around the expansion end that grips the bushing or seal as it is expanded inside of it. It has a ball bearing or a round tip pin that is forced down into ramps inside each puller head to force expand the three puller legs.

I purchased the Snap on CG2545 Set back when it was only a couple of hundred bucks. It's way out there now.

Some use a hinged piece that fits on a threaded rod that can set parallel to the rod, inserted through the hole of the seal, and then the puller piece is repositioned 90 degrees from the puller rod and pulled into position against the inside surface of the seal body to allow pressure to be applied by a slide hammer to pull it out.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-21-2018 at 12:45 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Post Re: '55 rear axle shaft seal removal

If the axle shaft technique doesn't work (which is cheap and easy), a simple seal puller can be used-

This tool(s) is for bearing in axle tube applications but can be used for the seal only also-

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:39 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

The type that rotorwrench described is what I am after, but the ones I have seen (made by OTC) offered on the market recently do not appear to have the (3) end pieces long enough to go down into the recess and allow expanding them against the seal. Also I don't see how the blunt ends of those (3) prongs would work either. Kindof cheesy.
As far as using the end of the axle shaft? I don't see it. The seal housing is about 3/8 inch in depth and fits snugly in the bore. To me, that means the seal must be pulled straight out. Trying to use the "T" bar type or the end of the axle shaft would force the seal out crooked in the bore. I don't want any scoring of the inside of the bore which could deter proper installation of the new seal or the bearing.

The "T" handle type KULTULZ shows will not work as the seal is down in a recess. Could possibly work if the "T" was the exact perfect size.

I like the style you show in the second photo that has the swivel attachments that go on the end of the slide hammer as long as one of those is the right size it would be perfect, but I do not see this type being offered on the market today. That must be an outdated tool. KULTULZ, do you know the mfr and part # of that seal puller?
Old 07-22-2018, 05:31 AM   #7
KULTULZ

The tool Rotorwrench describes is a blind hole puller. It is meant for applications such as a pilot bearing-

OTC 981

Here is a thee-finger style puller-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post

I like the style you show in the second photo that has the swivel attachments that go on the end of the slide hammer as long as one of those is the right size it would be perfect, but I do not see this type being offered on the market today. That must be an outdated tool.

KULTULZ, do you know the mfr and part # of that seal puller?

The tool I showed comes in different sets- GOOGLE OTC 7494A and OTC 7792

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4839.jpg (39.1 KB, 90 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Last edited by KULTULZ; 07-22-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
rotorwrench

The hinge type that I mentioned before are very much like post 5 photos, work very well but you have to have room behind the seal or bearing. The expanding blind hole type can only go in so deep in a bore due to the access to tighten the collet screw to expand it. I've used them on all sorts of bearings and bushings as well as seals.

If you can drill a hole in it with long bits you can thread a slide hammer screw in and do some pulling. I've had to drill as many as four holes to do this on some applications that have no blind access. There are also tapered thread puller designs but most of those are not common. They are generally for turbine engine applications and they are generally made for each application on a lathe. The taper has a lot more angle to it than national pipe thread.

If a person can make a long enough hook tool with a handle or 90 degree bend on the end to pound on with a hammer, it will sometimes work to pull a seal. A hook tool on a slide hammer might do the tick as well. There re a lot of ways to do it but sometimes a person just has to get creative with what they have at hand.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-22-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #9
5851a

I have used one of the brake adjuster tools, the end with the 90 bend in it can sometimes hook the lip and pop it out.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:21 AM   #10
KULTULZ

I think this is the set you were asking about-

OTC 7494A

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 07-23-2018, 07:54 AM   #11
bobss396

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
I have used one of the brake adjuster tools, the end with the 90 bend in it can sometimes hook the lip and pop it out.

On front hub seals... all the time. The axle trick is the fastest when you are on the clock.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
Daves55Sedan

The tool that KULTULZ shows in the second picture in his 7/22 post is exactly what is needed here. If I had that exact tool, I would have no problem getting the seal out. OTC offers a tool similar to it but theirs has the three prongs that are shorter and has an adjustment behind the hub that would be down inside the axle housing. You wouldn't be able to access it with your hand, so it wouldn't work.
I looked at the 7494A also, but they don't tell what sizes they are. Duh???? I'm not going to order something not knowing if it will even fit into the seal.
I will say this. The seal that it on the passenger side is going to be tough to get out. The idiot that installed it smashed in in there with a hammer and big piece of pipe, so the outer circumference of the seal is expanded around the axle housing bore. Aint no brake adjusting tool gonna get that out of there. It's gonna need to be heavy duty.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:33 PM   #13
KULTULZ

The SHOP MANUAL shows a three finger puller used with a slide hammer. The TOOL NO is FORD SPECIAL TOOLS of the period.

Is there an AUTOZONE near you where you might rent a tool(s)?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Axle Seal Removal _4.jpg (39.1 KB, 51 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 07-24-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #14
rotorwrench

Some of the tool manufacturers offer sets that have two or three different length puller arms and can be set up as two arm or three arm with arms installed to pull inside diameter or out side. The sets are somewhat expensive but they can be modified for all sorts of different applications. Most pullers have some way to positively hold the arms in position. The arms would have to held manually on the puller set up in post #7. Seals generally don't take as much pressure to pull as say a bearing would so it may not matter that much for that application.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
KULTULZ

Quote:

There is another type that jokers use at repair shops that looks like a "T". You would need to muscle the seal out bit-by-bit and I fear that it may cause scoring of the axle housing bore.

There are several different versions of this tool.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Axle Seal Removal _3.jpg (53.1 KB, 50 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 07-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #16
Daves55Sedan

The Autozone here has very limited variety of tools for rent and I bet I have two of everything they have to offer. Right now I am looking at various tools offered on Amazon. But one way or nother, I will get these old seals outta there.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #17
bobss396

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
There are several different versions of this tool.

I worked in a shop that had 2 sizes of those, worked well but you had to be careful not to gouge the housing.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #18
bobss396

Quote:
The Autozone here has very limited variety of tools for rent and I bet I have two of everything they have to offer. Right now I am looking at various tools offered on Amazon. But one way or nother, I will get these old seals outta there.

You don't like to use the end of the axle? It is very effective and the seal comes out in 1 shot, or you could do it in 2 pries and jockey it out.

Or bada bing...
https://www.harborfreight.com/seal-p...ips-63039.html

Then you need their seal driver...
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-pie...kit-35555.html