Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
str8axle63

Default 42 Ford/MH truck running and driving?

I bought my truck in the fall last year off ebay from a guy in Canada. It was listed as "running and driving" I had it transported from Canada to NY Now if your not familiar with transporters in cost more if the truck cannot be driven onto the flatbed. So I paid for the truck right after the auction was over. We had trouble getting it over the boarder, long story, but the seller was very helpful. So after all the paperwork was done and it was ready to ne picked up the seller calls me and said the carb was flooded and could not be driven onto the truck, so I had to pay an additional $200 , which the seller said he would split it with me but never did.
Once the truck arrives here I really liked it, was in very good shape.
I tried to start it and it had no spark, fuel system and gas tank were clogged etc after a winter of working on it and $ spent I finally got it "running and driving" sort of. The transmission was screaming in just a short ride. I decided to check the transmission today. I took the drain plug out and all that came out was about 2 ounces of WATER!! Never saw that before, no trans fluid it at all. There is no way that this guy ever had this running and driving. These trucks just not available were I live so you have to buy from other states. Now I am very happy with the truck, after all my work, which I still have much more to do. My point is, some people just out right lie about conditions of trucks on ebay and probably figure that after you go through so much time and effort to get the truck to your house that you really have no recourse. So buyer beware there are people that seem like nice guys that are still shady and have a way to lie to you in a nice way. But WATER in the trans is pretty hard to hide. I guess these guys just don't care about doing the right thing.
str8axle63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: 42 Ford/MH truck running and driving?

sorry for your troubles, but you are not the first and won't be the last, it used to be that a man's word was worth something. sometimes a man's word is worth something. so now that that is over how about some pictures???
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
paul2748

These are things you run into when you don't physically inspect your purchase prior to putting the money down.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
big job

boils down to "such as life" Myself thats elementary problem. I have a 1949 F6 MH
and drained two gallons of water. That give me an excuse to get rid of that crunch box.
The only thing I think of is we removed windshield for sanding covered the truck wind
blew cover of torrential rain came down and must have dripped down the shift handle.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
42Ford M-H

Only other thing is if the truck was in a flood. I'd drain and change the oil in both axles. Just to be careful. Mine was the same way, transmission was half full of water. Rear end had a bunch of water. Luckily the front axles had no water.
42Ford M-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
42Ford M-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
boils down to "such as life" Myself thats elementary problem. I have a 1949 F6 MH
and drained two gallons of water. That give me an excuse to get rid of that crunch box.
The only thing I think of is we removed windshield for sanding covered the truck wind
blew cover of torrential rain came down and must have dripped down the shift handle.

Whatcha gonna use for transmission? T5?
42Ford M-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
str8axle63

I checked all the fluids and just the front deferential was low, no more water anywhere.
I think my next job is to try and get more streetable gears in it. The ones in it now are way to low, think its low, need to get 4.00 the 6.00 everything seems to be straining.
Going to call chucks Monday and see if he has anything.
str8axle63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #8
big job

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Ford M-H View Post
Whatcha gonna use for transmission? T5?

No a T98
big job is offline   Reply With Quote