Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #1
1930marie

Default Newbies - Free Advice!

So my fellow Newbie...you just purchased your first Model A or giving the idea consideration. Okay! You are off to a good start because you have joined Fordbarn. When I bought my roadster, I was directed to buy the Les Andrews books (you will need all three) as I was told, you're going to need them" at some point! Here is my two cents: 1. Join a local club. 2. Join MAFCA. 3. BUY THE JUDGING STANDARDS MANUEL!! I'm having to go back and make a few costly corrections after reading the "Standards." I'm not interested in having a "fine-point" car, however, I would like it to be period correct, hello Standards manuel! Many thanks to our awesome "Barners" for their technical assistance and helping me enjoy our great hobby!

Last edited by 1930marie; 05-14-2016 at 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Newbies - Free Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930marie View Post
So my fellow Newbie...you just purchased your first Model A or giving the idea consideration. Okay! You are off to a good start because you have joined Fordbarn. When I bought my roadster, I was directed to buy the Les Andrews books (you will need all three) as I was told, you're going to need them" at some point! I can debate the need for all three, the red yes but not so sure the "need" for the other two. I would spend the money on the full size Service Bulletins. Here is my two cents: 1. Join a local club. 2. Join MAFCA. Or MARC depending on the local club nearest you 3. BUY THE Restoration Guidelines and JUDGING STANDARDS MANUEL!! I'm having to go back and make a few costly corrections after reading the "Standards." I'm not interested in having a "fine-point" car, however, I would like it to be period correct, hello Standards manuel! Many thanks to our awesome "Barners" for their technical assistance and helping me enjoy our great hobby!
Great advice!!!

The Restoration guidelines and Judging standards manual is something that scares off a lot of people and it should not.
(I had to put in my two cents)
Old 05-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
700rpm

Good suggestions. Here are a couple more: resist the urge to "upgrade" to modern components. Henry Ford had the best automotive engineers and designers of the time, and the Model A operated, and after 88 years continues to operate, very well with its original design components (no Model A has ever been recalled). If the car is unrestored but driveable, also resist the urge to tear it apart and right away begin a rebuild/restoration; that is, get to know your car before making any changes. Don't throw any original parts away (you will regret it later), and if you have to replace something, use original parts any time you can.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 05-14-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW: Just a few, (not all), Peaceful, Diplomatic Model A Restoration Cardinal Rules:

1. Always let our wives know our Model A future restoration intentions to avoid surprises; and,

2. Always let her know what we are currently working on; and,

3. Admit to her often that she always knew we were completely nuts, and never grew up; and,

4. Let her know she is NUMBER ONE (1); and promise that she will be special and ride next to you in the front seat; as opposed to in the back seat or in the rumble seat; and,

5. "Some may have a few additional important Peaceful, Diplomatic Model A Restoration Cardinal Rules to share," like:
Old 05-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #5
WestCoast

first don't bother trying to build s fine points car, its expensive and will drive you crazy wondering if the cotter keys are the correct type or the legs are bent just right, and you will worry your self to death worrying about some one at a car show (god for bid they touch or breath on the car,) build a real nice driver, one you can take to club breakfasts cruises and drive ins for a hamburger and car shows where people can actually get near the car to look at it, or if you insist on building the high points car, build it and hide it in the garage
Old 05-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
Jim Mason

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Or build a fine point car and enjoy that you can expand you knowledge, challenge your skills, push your limits, and build something that very few can. if you spread it over time and do it youself, sometimes more than once or twice or three times, your expenses can be controlled. when done with the car, you can then have it judged, work on it some more judged again, and then drive it till the wheels fall off. if you want, you can repeat the process and restore it again... or do as you want

Last edited by Jim Mason; 05-14-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #7
Don Turley

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
first don't bother trying to build s fine points car, its expensive and will drive you crazy wondering if the cotter keys are the correct type or the legs are bent just right, and you will worry your self to death worrying about some one at a car show (god for bid they touch or breath on the car,) build a real nice driver, one you can take to club breakfasts cruises and drive ins for a hamburger and car shows where people can actually get near the car to look at it, or if you insist on building the high points car, build it and hide it in the garage
My attitude is that each person should build his / her car or truck to suit themselves and not worry about how someone else thinks they should build it. I am glad that there are all types of cars, including the "high points" cars as well as the "nice drivers" and "street rods". I don't think it is good for the car hobby to criticize someone for pursuing their own goals. Building a "high points" car can be a rewarding challenge for some, but of no interest to another. I believe in being tolerant of others and would never discourage anyone from building the car of their choosing.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:13 PM   #8
CarlG

What Don said! (x2)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 05-14-2016, 11:17 PM   #9
1930marie

Terrific info. as always, I sincerely hope some of our new A'ers read this thread. I did forget to mention MARC, a terrific group. I think what's important is knowing there are more "help" resources than ever before albeit clubs, the Internet, or the many fine publications available. In closing, I won my battle with my two tooth box today after one of my senior Model T buddies suggested I stop being lazy and replace the broked oil tube! He was right, it was sheared off at the plate. No more 600 wt oil leaks. ha-ha!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Some just don't have the ambition, skill, funds or need to do a high end car and that's fine as Model A's can be enjoyed in all different forms. But for a few they rather degrade or mock those that achieve a high end result, and yes those cars need to be treated with respect.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
I agree totally. Build it to drive and enjoy! Wayne
Old 05-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
Tom F OHIO

Smile Re: Newbies - Free Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Some just don't have the ambition, skill, funds or need to do a high end car and that's fine as Model A's can be enjoyed in all different forms. But for a few they rather degrade or mock those that achieve a high end result, and yes those cars need to be treated with respect.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #13
jimalabam

Got to agree with Don Turley, as usual, he hit on the head. It is your car, so please yourself, and be tolerate and admire all the others. Take a good look at "Elmer" it was never meant to be a fine pointer, but over the years through research and acquiring knowledge of the 1927-1932 Fords, I have judged many fine point cars AND Drivers which were well restored to Henry's standards. Enjoy your car, heed most of the above advice, never keep a log of expenses, and WELCOME ABOARD THE BARN. Jim Langley aka jiml, jimalabam...
Old 05-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

And remember that EVERYONE processes INFO differently, so DON'T be an ASSHOLE, If someone DISAGREES with you.
Bill Different
Old 05-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #15
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
My attitude is that each person should build his / her car or truck to suit themselves and not worry about how someone else thinks they should build it. I am glad that there are all types of cars, including the "high points" cars as well as the "nice drivers" and "street rods". I don't think it is good for the car hobby to criticize someone for pursuing their own goals. Building a "high points" car can be a rewarding challenge for some, but of no interest to another. I believe in being tolerant of others and would never discourage anyone from building the car of their choosing.
Very well put.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #16
Roadster62

Be upfront with your questions here on the Ford Barn, not everyone wants a "Fine Point" answer, if you are building a driver say so. Bob
Old 05-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #17
1Tudoor

Don's words should be the thread of this forum .
And Bill , I was blind sided by being reported by one of those described members for speaking my mind , so there are hypocritical lurkers out there .
Old 05-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #18
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

My opinion:
Keep the mech brakes
Keep the six volt system, I do think a six volt alternator is good.
Stay away from that traditional fuse block that sits on the starter. Can't trust those little rivets.
Run your fan belt as loose as you can to keep that load down on the fan connection.
Stay with the original water pump with the packing.
Stay with the original ignition system.

If you Kluge Up your car up with a lot of different things, people won't be able to help you when you need their help. Better know how to fix whatever you put on.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #19
WestCoast

there is absolutely nothing wrong with a fine points car, my problem is the ones who build them, they know who they are, they are the one who think they are the only one who knows how to build one and have no problem running around pointing out every little flaw and putting down any one eleses efforts, they haul there car to the show, hand push it to there spot, put up barrier tape and spend all of the show keeping people away from it, then the hand push it back to the trailer and haul it home and hide it in the garage, in know way did I mean for the guy not to build the nicest car he can or wants, just meant for him not to stress out building his A, these cars are meant to be enjoyed by the owners and the public who come out to see them, I have nothing but respect for most of you guys who save these old cars

Last edited by WestCoast; 05-16-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:09 PM   #20
Jim Mason

there is absolutely any thing wrong with a DRIVER car, my problem is the ones who build them, they know who they are, they are the one who think they are the only one who knows how to ENJOY A MODEL A and have no problem running around pointing out EVERY FINE POINT RESTORER and putting down any one eleses efforts.

Fine point isn't stressfull. it is enjoyable to some. whatever floats your boat. There are lots of ways to enjoy your hobby
Closed Thread