Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #21
Mike51Merc

Default Re: Awful sounding Head rattle on new rebuild

My heart goes out to you, but it doesn't sound like a fuel thing. Something let go and you have to find out quick. Pull the head and intake first. If you don't find anything you have to pull the pan and maybe the whole engine.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:49 AM   #22
Scottyboy

Pulled the intake manifold back off as a starter. Everything visually looks in place. All horseshoe clips are on and the spring retainers look to all be in place. Valve stems are riding on the lifters. I am going to pop the head off next.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #23
Scott H in Wheaton

Keep it at, and thanks for the update
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #24
deuce_roadster

[QUOTE= After a little while longer, the insert remnants get broken up, and a horrible knock sets in as the rod seeks some fresh air![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would call that a worst case scenario.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #25
chap52

I know it's a pain, but even if you find something when you pull the heads I would pull the pan just in case something migrated there from above.
Your not the first one to have to go back and do this. Don't ask how I know...
Thanks for keeping us updated.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #26
Scottyboy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Well I cracked the head off. The head looks fine from the inside. No signs of anything banging on it. I am not sure exactly what to look for at this point without removing the valves and pistons. Any body have some thoughts? Amazing how fast the carbon soot has built up after about 1 hour of run time. The witch hunt continues. Drain the oil pan to see if I have metal in it?
Old 05-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #27
GB SISSON

I would pull the other head before you go investigating down below. Also, stretch a couple layers of cheese cloth over your oil drain bucket. Let's hope you see nothing but oil.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #28
40 Deluxe

Did the vehicle sit a long time while the engine was rebuilt? If so, did you drain the old gas out before starting? If it's old gas, that may explain the carbon. If it's years old, there may be varnish-like residue coming from the tank that is coating the exhaust valve stems and making them stick open. This will cause lifter noise, but probably not to the extent you describe. Still, if it ever sat long enough for the gas in the tank to evaporate, you may have this goo forming on the exhaust valve stems in the near future.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #29
Scottyboy

I posted pictures in my 53 Ford Album of the head and the right deck surface. Does this seem like an extreme amount of carbon for a 60 minute old engine? I'll drain the oil and advise what I find.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #30
Scott H in Wheaton

how do we find this album?
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #31
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
how do we find this album?
I couldn't find any album either.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #32
Scottyboy

Sorry the album was set to private. It is now public. I am feeling more confident that the problem is not in the bottom end. (Maybe just hopeful) I drained the Brad Penn oil through 3 layers of cheese cloth into a pan as GB Sisson recommended and no metal. I slowly poured the oil into my recycle pan and there were maybe 2 tiny crumbs of metal at the bottom. I fed my telescoping magnet into the pan drain plug to pick up anything else and nothing. Another idea.. A couple of the exhaust valves seem a little wet around them. I didn't use guide seals on the exhaust valves. I used them only on the intake valves. There seemed to be a difference of opinion on this. Should I have used the guide seals? I am going to remove each of the valves to inspect seats and the rest of the assembly next. I guess I am hanging on to the hope that I don' have to pull the *&^% engine out again. It nearly killed my 58 year old body getting that *&&^% transmission underneath and up into the bell housing from down under.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:16 AM   #33
Bassman/NZ

Only 58? Yer just a pup!
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:15 AM   #34
chap52

Crawled under my truck the other day. I laid there for a moment and couldn't remember why I got under there in the first place. Got out, went into the house and took a nap. Now that's a relaxing hobby.
If I were still only 58 I may have remembered, or at least taken a shorter nap.
Keep us posted.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:38 AM   #35
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
A couple of the exhaust valves seem a little wet around them. I didn't use guide seals on the exhaust valves. I used them only on the intake valves. There seemed to be a difference of opinion on this. Should I have used the guide seals? I am going to remove each of the valves to inspect seats and the rest of the assembly next. I guess I am hanging on to the hope that I don' have to pull the *&^% engine out again. It nearly killed my 58 year old body getting that *&&^% transmission underneath and up into the bell housing from down under.
The intake valve guide seals are needed because they are exposed to engine vacuum in the intake runner path. The exhaust paths are exposed to exhaust pressure, not vacuum, so the seals aren't needed, although I suppose there's no harm in putting them there except that they'll eventually be cooked by the heat into a petrified ring of rubber.

Neither set of valve guides is under oil pressure, only some splash, and oil generally doesn't defy gravity to shoot up there into the valve seats.

Your heads have no oil passages. I'd suspect the wetness was coolant. Was this block checked for cracks?

Edit: Now I looked at your pictures. I'd again suspect the wetness was coolant and you probably just dripped some on there when you removed the head. The carbon may have been from initial start up with the choke on.

Last edited by Mike51Merc; 05-07-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #36
Mart

I'm at a disadvantage only being able to look at the pics, but piston no 3 (all of 'em actually) does look like the "pointy" dome I had in mind in my previous comment, and the dome in the head above no 3 piston does have a slight shinyness right in the middle, though I would be the first to admit this could just be a reflection of light in the edge of the little bowl (power slot?) in that area.

It might be worth "claying" above the piston (small balls of aluminium foil stuck in place with grease works well) just to check there is plenty of clearance. I'd just put the head back on with the previously used gasket to do this.

Good luck with it.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #37
Ol' Ron

I don't use seals on either thr intake or exhaust. I use a small amt of hi temp RTV on the intake guide and Never seize on the exhaust. I also Knurel the guides for a .0005-.001' Stem to guide clearance this lubricates the stem to prevent sticking, but prevents oil leaking into the combustion chamber under hi Vacuum conditions. Things we learn after building allot of them.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #38
billwill

Go in the cyl withmaginet fish around listen for clink and pull it out peek a boo.goodluck
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #39
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
Go in the cyl withmaginet fish around listen for clink and pull it out peek a boo.goodluck
No "maginets" necessary! In case you haven't read it, he's already got it opened-up. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:58 PM   #40
29AVEE8

Update? Please keep us informed.